• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dummies business question"

Collapse

• DimPrawn
    replied
    AFAIK you can't protect a trading name.

I registered my trading name with the Inland Revenue using a form called VAT99 or something.

Leave a comment:

• PropertyCrashUK
    replied
    Thanks guys - so do you have to register that trading name anywhere?

i.e. my ltd company name is registered at companies hosue and no one can use it. How do I stop someone trading under a trading name I choose?

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by PropertyCrashUK
    Can a business trade under another name. For example 'industrialpipes.inc' also trading as 'fix it now plumbers'? If so, how would invoices work? To whom would cheques be payable?
    Yes you can use a trading name. eg. plumber and fitters could be a trading name of 123 Jump limited.

If you have a business bank account under 123 Jump ltd, you would need to inform your bank of the trading name so that people can write cheques to Plumber and Fitters.

On any invoices, letters you should put "Plumbers and Fitters is a trading name of 123 Jump limited"

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Myco has a "trading name". I just made one up when I found a decent domain name. I put the ltd co name in small print on the bottom of invoices with the address details, VAT number etc. When you set up a company bank account you usually need to specify all the different names that you are going to pay in cheques under so that's not a problem. You could invoice as either but I tend to use the trading name as it's snappier. IANAL etc.

Leave a comment:

• PropertyCrashUK
    started a topic Dummies business question

Dummies business question

Can a business trade under another name. For example 'industrialpipes.inc' also trading as 'fix it now plumbers'? If so, how would invoices work? To whom would cheques be payable?

Working...
X