• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "State of Contract Market in London"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by bluedrop View Post
    Rubbish state of market in my area (Business Analyst Insurance)
    Dried up job boards, pathetic rates. Not liking it.

I am now trying to book a holiday until Christmas.
    It's probably worth including an extra week until after New Year. Coming back to work just before Christmas probably isn't going to be worthwhile.

HTH BIDI

Leave a comment:

• bluedrop
    replied
    Rubbish state of market in my area (Business Analyst Insurance)
    Dried up job boards, pathetic rates. Not liking it.

I am now trying to book a holiday until Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• rocketron
    replied
    You are not alone

My gig comes to an end very shortly, they ran out of cash to keep me, things have been a bit up and down with the markets, there are few jobs available as many banks cant sign off roles.

One thing that I have noticed is that the clients are not rushing to interview (I am least getting interviews!) and they are taking time over choosing.

I have never seen the markets this bad Perm roles are out there but the rates are rubbish.

Leave a comment:

• ddaft
    replied
    I think perm is even worse. Projects if they are very lucky can get exception signoff from high up for a contractor but much harder to justify a perm at the moment especially whilst most firms are in various stages of plotting layoffs.

Leave a comment:

• sog
    replied
    Do you know if the market for permanent jobs (.NET dev) is equally bad, in London?
    Or it is better, for permanent positions (comparing to contract)?

Leave a comment:

• lamboman
    replied
    The market is dead right now do not believe anyone who says otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    I've only ever contracted in London and to be honest market is the worse I've seen it in years, a lot of the banks have recruitment freezes including permy and contract, rate cuts including be asked to agree to a rate cut in 6 months time, or big squeeze on rates, its the 4th qtr now and most of the budgets have run out to. I've gone from having options of what offer to take to having to take what I can get and nothing through agents its all been direct.
    Last edited by Bumfluff; 18 October 2011, 12:25.

Leave a comment:

• lansing
    replied
    Thanks for your help guys. Good point about getting a UK phone, they're probably not taking me seriously as I'm still based in Ireland. I don't have any banking experience so it doesn't seem like a good time to try and get my foot in that door.

Leave a comment:

• ddaft
    replied
    The guys I know that have landed stuff recently have done it direct with onsite recruiters at banks rather than through agencies (although often they are outsourced hays/resource solutions etc anyway though). With so few roles around they can probably afford to cut out the agents at the moment. Maybe do a search on linkedin for onsite recruiters at some of the banks.

Leave a comment:

• oliverson
    replied
    I'm a .NET developer working the banks in London and I can honestly say this is THE worst period I've ever seen. I've had benchtime in the past but opportunities and interviews were always present. I wouldn't like to be in the market right now. Met up with an agent friend a couple of weeks ago and he was saying how bad it is. He has one or two candidates who have received offers but that's as far as it gets. Grim.

Leave a comment:

• anothercodemonkey
    replied
    I'd say that the London market isn't great. This is banking so other sectors might not be so bad. A lot of places have hiring freezes or budget problems. HFT seems to be quite a hot area still.

Personally, I spent a bit of enforced time out before landing a new one which I am due to start in a few weeks time. There are contracts out there but there is more competition.

Good luck with the job hunt!

p.s. agree with the advice about getting a UK number. Maybe do SkypeIn - you can get a number which looks like a UK landline for $6 a month.

Leave a comment:

• ddaft
    replied
    There are bits and pieces around but it's not great. I do know people who are still landing offers at banks but there is a lot more competition as fewer roles. Should hopefully pick up in the new year providing economic armageddon doesn't strike!

Leave a comment:

• Mehmeh
    replied
    WHS

Market is great in london for C# devs, so I imagine it's the same for java

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Change your location to London on your CV and get a UK payg mobile number. I suspect a lot of people can't be arsed as they think your in Ireland.

Leave a comment:

• lansing
    started a topic State of Contract Market in London

State of Contract Market in London

Hi,

I'm a Senior Java Developer (with 12 years' experience) looking for a 3-6 month contract in London. Could anybody describe the state of the contract market at the moment? I haven't had a single interview in 2 weeks. I've applied for a couple of jobs on JobServe but didn't get a response on either even though I have the skills they were looking for. I've also sent my CV to a couple of agencies, one them called me but hasn't put me forward for any roles, the other didn't call me at all.

I've had my CV checked over by a recruiter here (Dublin), she thinks it's looks great, I don't understand the lack of interest. Is the market bad or am I talking to the wrong people? On that note can anybody recommend some good recruitment agencies?

thanks

Working...
X