• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Rate Anxiety - Is the agent having a laugh?"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    I had a similar thing with this contract. It was my first one back after a time in permiedom.

Role was advertised on jobserve as up X Euros a day. So I went along to the interview which went well.

Agency phoned me to say if they offered it would be at X - 150 Euros. No way said I what happened to X?

The agency tried to say that was only for contractors who had to relocate but since I lived locally they'd only pay this much.

No way said I and it went up by 50E a day. Still said nah, and surprisingly it went up by another 25E.

I took it at this point. I never did find out if this 'local contractor' thing was genuinely the client saying this or whether the agent was hogging a bit more of a cut off me....

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Good going, well played. Important lesson learnt.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by vordaka View Post
    Just a quick update; I went back to the agent and said that I would only sign at the rate that was originally quoted to me. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth on the agents part they did come back a few days later with the full rate that I'd originally been quoted.

I was happy with that resolution and so have signed up for that contract.

Thanks again for your advise/comments.
    You played it right. Lesson learned.

For the advanced lesson, never give them a number. Let them quote a range, if you're happy with the range, tell them to put you forward at the top of the range. It makes little difference to the client, and the money is clearly on offer.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Result!

Leave a comment:

• Clarky
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    No worries.

Can you just ping me your company name, address and VAT number so we can raise an invoice for the advice.
    And if we could just have 2 references from your old employer as well please...?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Just a quick update; I went back to the agent and said that I would only sign at the rate that was originally quoted to me. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth on the agents part they did come back a few days later with the full rate that I'd originally been quoted.

No worries.

Can you just ping me your company name, address and VAT number so we can raise an invoice for the advice.

Leave a comment:

• vordaka
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vordaka
    replied
    Thanks for all the responses; I shall go into battle tomorrow and update once I have either sorted it out or otherwise

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Id say "Ive been thinking things through, and Ive decided I wont be taking the contract at that rate. Its not high enough. As you suggested, Ill let you worry about that. Cheers"
    WHS!

If your not happy with the rate and think you can get a better deal walk elsewhere.

Although as this is your first contract can you afford to sit on the bench while you chase the higher rate?

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Your choices are simple:

Negotiate with Agent A regarding the rate to see if you can get it increased. If not, walk away as the (perceived) low rate will bug you for the duration of the contract particularly, as you mentioned, the client is looking for multiple contractors some of which, in all likelihood, will be on a higher rate than you.

Forget about applying for the same role via Agent B as this will, potentially, lead to problems if Agent A finds out or Agent B realises, if you don't tell him up front, that you have already been submitted and interviewed for the role. It will also, potentially, piss off the client.

Regarding the second contract, you should be able to stall Agent A and signing the contract, if that's what you decide to do, for at least a few days by saying you need to have the contract reviewed to see if it is IR35 caught (QDos offer this service at a competitive price). This should, hopefully, allow you enough time to hear back as to whether you are invited to interview for the second role.

Agents are out to maximise their take for each contract and you are not the first person, and will not be the last, who has been quoted one figure at the start of your engagement with an agent only to see this figure reduced so don't beat yourself up about this - particularly as this is your first contracting experience.

Good luck and don't forget to update this thread with what happens.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Id say "Ive been thinking things through, and Ive decided I wont be taking the contract at that rate. Its not high enough. As you suggested, Ill let you worry about that. Cheers"

It may well be that it's the agent who has taken the extra £50. At the end of the day nothing happens until the contract is signed. I've taken to adding to conversations with agents 'Subject to Contract' which is implying that all's fair until it's signed. I had one really pushy agent a while back saying 'But you've agreed to do it, you've given your word', to which my answer is always the same 'I have agreed subject to contract'..

So as we always say carry on interviewing until the last second. If you have more than one offer take the best one. If you feel that a second offer is coming, hold the agent off for a day and if you're feeling really bold just tell the agent that you have another role which is paying more and that the price for this is X + £50, otherwise no deal. Remember you can play hard ball as well.

Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    It then turned out that the contract hadn't yet been approved and that I'd have to wait 1.5 weeks for it to be approved (apparently this will come through on Monday now) - the end user did confirm in a call with me directly that they are very keen to get me onboard
    Phone the client back and ask them how much they are paying the agent because you think the agent is trying to pull a fast one on you so you are considering walking away from the offer. Agents love ripping off the new kids to pump up their margin, make sure they aren't doing it to you. A quick chat with the client and next thing you know, the agent will call you up with the good news that "they have negotiated a rate increase for you".

As for the other agencies, once you've been introduced to a client by one agency it's difficult (though not impossible) to get put forward for the same job through another agency. I've seen clients get the same CV from multiple agencies and they choose the agency they have on their preferred suppliers list or the one they trust to do business with. It can cause a bit of friction though so don't tell the agents what's going on, in fact don't even enter into a discussion with them once you have the contract.

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    Hmm...how do you stand though if you decline a contract based on rate or contract term or whatever and then go straight for it again with agent B. My gut feel is that's legally allowed irrespective of what's written in any contract (you haven't signed).

Why don't you talk to another agent and tell them the situation? That makes 3 people happy, you get your rate, the new agent gets business and the initial agent is happy for the free business lesson

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Welcome to contracting.

Ultimately if you're not happy with the rate, say no. They may offer more, or they may not, but you're under no obligation to accept anything. It does sound like they're trying to bully you, assuming you'll say yes to get something, but everything is negotiable until it's signed so don't believe that. The extra £50 is probably going in the agents pocket anyway.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X