• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fishing calls from Off Shore Agents"

Collapse

• PinkPoshRat
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I had one of these, it may not have too much of a fishing call as they had sent me a job spec as well. The person at the other end kept banging on if I wanted the position or not and what would my rate be and so on. In the end I just gave a rather high rate (for them anyway) and it all went quiet and then started up again. In the end I just said 'NO, I DO NOT WANT THIS POSITION, I AM WORKING AND YOU CANNOT PAY MY RATE, PLUS THE CONTRACT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY SKILLSET SO BUGGER OFF.'
    Do you think they understood you?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I had one of these, it may not have too much of a fishing call as they had sent me a job spec as well. The person at the other end kept banging on if I wanted the position or not and what would my rate be and so on. In the end I just gave a rather high rate (for them anyway) and it all went quiet and then started up again. In the end I just said 'NO, I DO NOT WANT THIS POSITION, I AM WORKING AND YOU CANNOT PAY MY RATE, PLUS THE CONTRACT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY SKILLSET SO BUGGER OFF.'

Leave a comment:

• PinkPoshRat
    replied
    Originally posted by 2BIT View Post
    yeah I normally don't pick up number witheld calls which fishing calls from the UK tend to be from but now must remember to not pick up any international calls it means I'll miss that call from Beyonce asking me out for a date but it's a risk I'll have to take

what I should have done thinking about it was quote a grossly inflated rate or perhaps a very low rate
    I have an android app on my phone which automatically blocks withheld numbers called callFilter1.4.5 ideal for screening off unwanted agents

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Good point , but my time is quite valuable and their time isn't worth tulip so I can't be bothered entertaining these idiots.
    yeah I normally don't pick up number witheld calls which fishing calls from the UK tend to be from but now must remember to not pick up any international calls it means I'll miss that call from Beyonce asking me out for a date but it's a risk I'll have to take

what I should have done thinking about it was quote a grossly inflated rate or perhaps a very low rate

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    I'm normally too polite to just hang up on people plus it doesn't waste their time as much
    Good point , but my time is quite valuable and their time isn't worth tulip so I can't be bothered entertaining these idiots.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    I'm normally too polite to just hang up on people plus it doesn't waste their time as much
    Then hang up while you are speaking, not while he is. Few people expect you to hang up on yourself.

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
    I'm out of touch can someone please explain what this 'new' off shore agency warning is about?

...yes I am naive, but I have to ask!!
    heh heh, it may not be new but was the first time I ever received one

Leave a comment:

• PinkPoshRat
    replied
    I'm out of touch can someone please explain what this 'new' off shore agency warning is about?

...yes I am naive, but I have to ask!!

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    replied
    Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Will watch out for those so thanks. End call button is quite handy too!

Leave a comment:

• Hawkeye
    replied
    Will watch out for those so thanks. End call button is quite handy too!

Leave a comment:

• 2BIT
    started a topic Fishing calls from Off Shore Agents

Fishing calls from Off Shore Agents

well it had to start sometime, just had my first fishing call from an Off-Shore agent, they seemed only interested in finding out avg UK daily rates for particular roles, sadly I had an imaginary meeting to attend so couldn't give him any info...

I guess I'll have to start screening for international numbers now too!

Working...
X