• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interviewed Vs Offered..."

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by absolute View Post
    I am astonished that the customer accepts a contract just after a phone call.
    Why shouldn't they?

While I will travel to do the role I'm not going to travel to do the interview particularly if they then want me to start tomorrow or it's in some place that is difficult to get to.

And it's not always agencies involved..........

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    For contracts I've got a good record, 5 interviews - 5 contracts plus a return to a previous client with no interview. Annoyingly I've got 2 permie interviews in the middle of those, one I got, and one I didn't, so I can't really claim a 100% record. But at least I know I'm a better contractor than permie

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    I've (i think) a 100% success rate. 5 contracts, 5 interviews. I've interviews for more but generally turned them down if I don't want them. Doesn't mean I'm a god to contracting but generally my industry if you get an interview its a walk and talk round the warehouse and more of an induction that a "interview". They work out form your CV and people you've worked with if they want to hire you before hand.

Now applications to interviews is a different story

Leave a comment:

• javadude
    replied
    Until recently each time I changed contracts I had 1 face to face interview and been accepted so 100% success rate. The the last time I got 4 interviews and only had 3 offers so now my average is ruined...

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Got about a 300% hit rate of interviews to jobs

Only had one interview in the last ten years and have filled all my time with contracts from previous clients.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied

on the other hand, the customer has to have a specific agreement to quickly get rid of the contractor.
    Well the premise for one interview is that the agency has already chosen the best candidates.
    I know laughable isn't it.

Leave a comment:

• absolute
    replied

on the other hand, the customer has to have a specific agreement to quickly get rid of the contractor.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Generally, how many interviews do you do with the same client ?

A phone interview before a face-to-face interview is common ?
    1. One interview, very rarely two.

2. Not that common, with me it's usually one or the other.

Leave a comment:

• absolute
    replied
    Mine is not so good
    so, I prefer to keep quiet.

Generally, how many interviews do you do with the same client ?

From my side, I had 3 interviews via phone. I failed because the questions was too theoretical for me.

A phone interview before a face-to-face interview is common ?

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
    I keep a spreadsheet of all roles I apply for, because I'm a massive massive geek.
    Hey, I like that idea.

I might apply for 20 or so jobs before I get an interview. Once I have the interview I've got a success rate of 90% or so. Makes you wonder how many of the advertised jobs don't actually exist...

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
    Hi

I had a rather dull thought before, and was wondering how one would fair compared to other Contractors when attending interviews, against the number of roles one would get offered.

I reckon over the last 12 years I've had 12 Contracts and had 16 or 17 interviews, so that would be a 'Success' rate of around 70 to 75%.

I think this is OK, but as a rule would one assume that they may get offered only 1 in 5 roles, or would others assume they will land every one they go for.

Interesting to hear opinions & stats...
    After 22 years contracting:

Face-to-face interviews, I'd say 90%+ success rate. Doesn't mean I've always accepted the job, though.

Telephone interview, probably 70% "success" rate, as having spoken too them I've not wanted to take it any further (the very reason I insist on telephone interviews first, so as not to waste each other's time...)

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
    I keep a spreadsheet of all roles I apply for, because I'm a massive massive geek.

Someone once said a ratio of 1/20 was pretty decent for applications to interviews, and I applied for 22 roles the first time round.

Another thing to question is the ratio of applications to agencies sending off your CV. Of the 6 roles I've applied for this time round, I've had 2 agencies come back to me (though 3 have only been sent in the last hour).

I like to work on pretty healthy averages, and tailor my approach for each role to give me a decent chance. A scattergun approach might work for some people, but I don't have bags of experience, so have to try extra hard to make my CV stand out I think.
    Same thing. Applications to interviews for me is around 5 to 1. I may only apply to 10 roles in a given week while benched. Others use the scatter gun approach. 100's of applications/emails.

I prefer to filter down first and target. This is an argument both approachs work, but I think the scatter gun is detrimental in the long term.

Leave a comment:

• GillsMan
    replied

Someone once said a ratio of 1/20 was pretty decent for applications to interviews, and I applied for 22 roles the first time round.

Another thing to question is the ratio of applications to agencies sending off your CV. Of the 6 roles I've applied for this time round, I've had 2 agencies come back to me (though 3 have only been sent in the last hour).

I like to work on pretty healthy averages, and tailor my approach for each role to give me a decent chance. A scattergun approach might work for some people, but I don't have bags of experience, so have to try extra hard to make my CV stand out I think.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    34 offers out of 35 interviews over 14 years.

I've been gobbing off about my 100% record for the last decade. Failed my first interview last year when
    I decided to step out of my comfort zone.

As mentioned above and pointed out to me a high ratio indicates your so far back in your
    comfort zone you're still on the sofa!

I find most of the contracts I do
    so boring I keep moving.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Roles applied for - interviews ratio is about 1-50 !! Have to take into account numbers of fake/speculative/never happen jobs though.
    Interview wise - career % is about 75% although I have been offered the last 7 roles I have interviewed for.
    I am a lot better at them these days.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X