• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Last role ended Feb09, trying to get back in, no luck so far!"

Collapse

• theroyale
    replied
    Originally posted by blacjac View Post
    Do they need anyone else?
    They've filled the last requirement afaik

Leave a comment:

• blacjac
    replied
    Do they need anyone else?

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied

Well done!

Sounds like you're coming to work on our project.

Leave a comment:

• theroyale
    replied
    Maybe it was something in the ether of this forum! Made desperate post here tuesday - got an interview call same evening, had interview today, bagged contract! The company had 3 of their employees leave in quick time recently plus their workload's increasing, so they were looking to take on contractors quick - literally asked me if I had the skillset to do a,b,c, I said yes, and they gave it to me.

Involves a mon-fri relocation but I'm bloody thrilled!

Leave a comment:

• Jeebo72
    replied
    I think the problem with gaps right now is that there are many people out there who have gaps in their CV because they can't get a job and they try to cover it up with fake travelling, fake roles under their own LTD etc.

The agents then take the view that these guys don't interview well and thus don't put them forward as they have so many others to choose from.

People with genuine gaps get lumbered with these guys.

I was going to take this summer off, but didn't because of this.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    In a up market you can take gaps and return with no issue, in a down market it’s a whole different kettle of fish

Look at it this way in a down market, agent has a role, he has 30 to 100 CV’s in front of him, he can only forward 5 to client, even after a first round of taking out those without enough/right experience, he is still going to have way to many (especially with a skill set of just “SQL”) so in next round of cuts, people that have not been in the workforce for a while are going to get cut as well

In an up market, where same role starts with maybe 5-10 applicants the odds are there will be no second round, so your chances are getting back in the market are a lot better

If I was you would take anything, permie or really crappy rate contract for a few months just to show yourself back in the workforce and move that gap further back

Leave a comment:

• rsingh
    replied
    If you feel your gap is such am issue, then do some voluntary work. A month of that is better than six months on cuk and observe. It will break up the gap as well as freshening your skills. Plus it helps dispel the 'bench blues'

Try it4communities.com. you may even get a nice fuzzy feeling out of it.

Home - iT4Communities
    Last edited by rsingh; 7 June 2010, 23:06.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post

& always be proud of your gaps. They are one of the coolest things about this business.
    That is a very good point. I know I've been hired by companies purely cos of my snowboard seasons, and they were good companies to work for. The company I am at now, questioned by gaps disapprovingly, and they are awful to work for, asking for all hours of the day, 7 days a week, expect you to abandon holidays at last minute etc.

Its only jsut clicked, if the client has a problem with it, I dont think I would want to work there.

Leave a comment:

• theroyale
    replied
    Originally posted by FICO View Post
    thats ok it seems the employers are not that concerned its seems like its just the agents who seem to make a big issue out of the gap
    I would imagine that if the employers have actually vetted your CV - gap included - and called you in for an interview then they're ok with the gap...

Leave a comment:

• FICO
    replied
    Originally posted by theroyale View Post
    Yes just the casual question and I said I'd been travelling - on the surface that didn't seem to be a problem ("Oh fantastic where'd you go then??!")...
    Originally posted by jo99 View Post
    Only where I had travelled to!
    thats ok it seems the employers are not that concerned its seems like its just the agents who seem to make a big issue out of the gap

Leave a comment:

• jo99
    replied
    Only where I had travelled to!

Leave a comment:

• theroyale
    replied
    Originally posted by FICO View Post
    did any questions come up about the gap in your interviews?
    Yes just the casual question and I said I'd been travelling - on the surface that didn't seem to be a problem ("Oh fantastic where'd you go then??!")...

Leave a comment:

• FICO
    replied
    Originally posted by jo99 View Post
    I had a year off and was looking in the last downturn and eventually got a role at a charity. I did put the gap on my cv with travelling to explain it - which may help if you have not already done so.
    did any questions come up about the gap in your interviews?

Leave a comment:

• jo99
    replied
    I had a year off and was looking in the last downturn and eventually got a role at a charity. I did put the gap on my cv with travelling to explain it - which may help if you have not already done so.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X