• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Should I bypass the agent???"

Collapse

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    ... and you think B is less of a tosser than A...
    As a rule they are all about as tosser-ry as each other.

Now where is that thread about do we think agents are worth it...?

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    You've never had a contract with Agent A
    If the client is ok with contracting you through Agent B and you think B is less of a tosser than A then do business with B.

You owe A absolutely nowt as you've never done any actual business with him/her just been messed about.

Leave a comment:

• memyselfandi
    replied
    Latest:

Emailed client yesterday. They didn't want to reply directly to a candidate apparently.

So asked Agent B to represent me.

Agent B now spoken to client who have now spoken to Agent A.

Agent A called me two minutes ago saying that a deal could still be done (even though they said a deal could not be done last week).

More negotiations over the next couple of days. I hope something comes out of it.

I would normally tell them all to piss off, but need the work, and it is very scarce at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Stan.goodvibes
    replied
    OK I'm confused. As soon as you get a chance to go direct to the client you go direct to the client. Golden rule for me is to remove the agent at the earliest possible convenience.

As for breaking contracts with the Agency - meh, they do it all the time.

And that bit about damaging your reputation with the agency, that was a joke surely?

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by memyselfandi View Post
    The plot thickens.
    He has now asked me to send him an email stating that I am unhappy with "Agent A", and am happy for "Agent B" to now represent me.
    (
    Surely the e-mail should say, I am unhappy with Agent A and am now representing myself and offering a better deal for both contractor and client?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    .Net isn't the same as .Net, know what I mean
    I know what you mean. You mean VB!

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    It must have been. But as .NET wasn't officially released until 2002, I think you may be mistaken.
    .Net isn't the same as .Net, know what I mean

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    You are lucky ! On the .Net gravy train of the 90s it was like a feeding frenzy and happened all the time. On one particular site an agent was paying a contractor to intercept faxed CVs sent in by other agencies. It was fun !
    It must have been. But as .NET wasn't officially released until 2002, I think you may be mistaken.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    I agree that I have probably lost the position. I personally thought the same, which is why I have gone down the route of contacting them directly.

This is a route which I would never usually persue as it is extreemly unprofessional, but still wanted to let the client know what Agent A and Agent B were up to.
    You never know. If it's the type of client who is watching his budget tightly and it makes you cheaper then you might be quids in.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    To be honest. This has happened to me twice in my career.
    You are lucky ! On the .Net gravy train of the 90s it was like a feeding frenzy and happened all the time. On one particular site an agent was paying a contractor to intercept faxed CVs sent in by other agencies. It was fun !

Leave a comment:

• memyselfandi
    replied
    I agree that I have probably lost the position. I personally thought the same, which is why I have gone down the route of contacting them directly.

This is a route which I would never usually persue as it is extreemly unprofessional, but still wanted to let the client know what Agent A and Agent B were up to.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    To be honest. This has happened to me twice in my career.

Agents are like a dog with a bone. Neither one will back down and they'd rather **** you over and lose the contract than let the other have it.

In both cases, the client eventually said, enough is enough and just went with a different candidate who wasn't being chewed by two dogs.

So advice is, start looking elsewhere, if you get it good! But experience says you are now screwed. Does sound like the agent who is crying over his rate though is a right shyster!

Good luck though.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    1) What if anything did you agree with Agent A about them putting you forward (in terms of any restrictions). I assume nothing - and even if you did it is possibly doubtful it would stand up.

2) What are the terms of business between Client and Agent A in terms of client or anybody else introducing you. It is more likely that there may be an issue in here. If there is you could attempt to argue it is an illegal restraint on you and you may well have a decent case. However the role would be long gone by that point.

I would imagine Agent B will take any risk and ignore it anyway - since any sanction is likely to fall on the client.

But, why involve agent B at all. If you can manage the cashflow, mange payment terms get client to stick to them and all the usual crud you have to deal with why give agent B their margin?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    I have just sent an email directly to the client asking for clarification.

Just awaiting the response now.
    Why not try and phone the client? If you like lets introduce DA as Agent No 3. If you ask him to represent you, he can do the calling for you and get you to reduce your rate another £50.

Everyones a winner.

Leave a comment:

• memyselfandi
    replied
    I have just sent an email directly to the client asking for clarification.

Just awaiting the response now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X