• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Public sector project mgt...."

Collapse

• northernrampage
    replied
    Okay, thanks for feedback. Documentation was never my favourite area, to have it increased may not work.

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

b) It does help if you are already familiar with the actual application of PRINCE2 and the OGC gateway processes and EU procurement rules (OJEU and all that) rather than "PRINCE Lite" or "PINO" (i.e. it is only ever used in job descriptions).

c) There are currently so many people applying for PM roles that the agents are adding selection criteria that were not requested by the client just to reduce the number of applicants.
    Yup, I'm PRINCE Lite, I use elements of PRINCE 2, but it's mainly the set-up stages, not all the stage boundary stuff. And I have no idea what EU procurement rules are.

I will focus on what I'm used to. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    a) The bureaucracy/culture. Some people go from years in the private sector into the public sector and cannot come to terms with the paperwork, processes, lethargy and work-evasion. So they quickly leave again. By recruiting those that have worked in the sector, the agent can eliminate that risk.

b) It does help if you are already familiar with the actual application of PRINCE2 and the OGC gateway processes and EU procurement rules (OJEU and all that) rather than "PRINCE Lite" or "PINO" (i.e. it is only ever used in job descriptions).

c) There are currently so many people applying for PM roles that the agents are adding selection criteria that were not requested by the client just to reduce the number of applicants.

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    I would say that it is a bit of both. The culture within the public sector is quite different to that within the private sector. Public sector do tend to be more strict with regards documentation, etc.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• northernrampage
    started a topic Public sector project mgt....

Public sector project mgt....

I had a random public sector query....

When agencies say "must have public sector experience" for PM roles is there a specific reason or is it just regarding the culture?

Reason I'm asking is that I have public sector experience (approximately 4 years), but 2 years of that is 13 years ago doing different jobs to my current PM skillset, other 2 is from 20 years ago.

I am just curious to see if a certain skillset is required, or if it's to do with being able to deal with bureaucracy/culture.

Working...
X