• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Good Agents

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Good Agents"

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent
    We do win, because no matter how dodgy we are they still use us.
    Anyway for the first time in aeons I received a call from an agent to see if I was interested in a contract in the UK.

She asked how much in terms of daliy rate I would be seeking, rather taken aback by this I ventured the appox market rate for what I do (ie precious little) as about 220 pounds per day.

At which point she said , I think thats a wee bit low, I think 250 pounds is more realisitic.

I didnt argue.

So there are some good agents out there !

PS this must indicate an unprecented market upturn if even the likes of moi are receiving calls , and no I wasnt asked for references nor whom was my last line manager, which happned to be Graham Sutherland of BT ... oh darn !

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Reccon
    Makes you wonder if we can ever win!!

We do win, because no matter how dodgy we are they still use us.

Leave a comment:

• Reccon
    replied
    I love the fact that a contractor comes on here to give praise to an agent for the work they have done and the honesty with the commission etc and the first post says "why dont you go direct" - basically saying he has been honest with you so stich him up!!

Makes you wonder if we can ever win!!

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Rebecca Loos
    So Dodgy Agent, which agency do you work for then? And would you recommend them?
    I wouldnt trust any business that had me as the MD loos.

wasnt that a Marx brother line?

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    So Dodgy Agent, which agency do you work for then? And would you recommend them?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    PS computer services

Originally posted by Commonwealth Contractors
    I would just like to recommend an agent- PS Computers in Southampton. I am not a contractor but have never had the pleasure of dealing with a nicer agency. They have stuff in Reading so worth checking them out even if you are based in London!
    I cannot remember their names, but one of them liked his gold rings, permed hair and bragged about being a black belt in origami. They were ex Eurolink which set old Toni into a state when they left and set up. From what I hear and despite my mealy mouthed comments they are a well run professional outfit.

Thats it, I remember, Parker and Smith is what PS stands for

Leave a comment:

• Commonwealth Contractors
    replied
    I would just like to recommend an agent- PS Computers in Southampton. I am not a contractor but have never had the pleasure of dealing with a nicer agency. They have stuff in Reading so worth checking them out even if you are based in London!

Leave a comment:

• privateeye
    replied
    Originally posted by Not So Wise
    Though typing all that and not naming the agent makes the entire post kind pointless no? While names should be named for tulip agencys you should name even more the ones that do a good job. Just costing agencys contractors by nameing the bad ones is kind of pointless without refering people to good ones
    The agency is Connections Recruit based in Wokingham, Berks. They have been around for a few years so not new in the game.

Not sure if this is just an agreement with this particular client or all their contracts.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Originally posted by mcquiggd
    So why bother with him - just go direct.
    Because the agenct has the client not the contractor? Sure he could try to circumvent the agency but would need the client to be willing to do the same and unless the agency are totally stupid i highly doubt they don't have a contract with the client against just that (to much hassle to have every contractor going for interview to sign a non circumvention agreement)

Actually if you get down to it it's not a bad deal, ok you lose the "factoring service" of the agency" but you can make that up on the agencts margin, client gets contractor for cheaper too

While i could see such a set up not being for everyone it definatly would interest a lot of people, both clients and contractors

Though typing all that and not naming the agent makes the entire post kind pointless no? While names should be named for tulip agencys you should name even more the ones that do a good job. Just costing agencys contractors by nameing the bad ones is kind of pointless without refering people to good ones

Leave a comment:

• mcquiggd
    replied
    So why bother with him - just go direct.

Leave a comment:

• privateeye
    started a topic Good Agents

Good Agents

With all the chat recently about the bad side of agents, thought it only good and proper that I mention coming across something positive in an agent.

Just spoken to an agent who has stated that if he could get me a contract, that I should talk money to the client. His commission will be on top of that so the client knows exactly what the commission is and I know I'm getting pretty much all I ask for, apparently the commission is a fixed daily rate regardless of what I could earn. The contract will be directly with the client and monies paid directly from them. The agent says the upside for him is that he is no longer responsible for anything else apart from collecting an introductory fee - his commission, he can just concentrate on finding more contractors and more jobs and forget all the other hassle.

And he didn't ask for references up front. Hope this is a sign of things to come.

Working...
X