• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Not renewing - best way to advise Client?"

Collapse

• ratewhore
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    WHS - at least up to the bit I snipped.
    That's about the size of it. You're a contractor, you're at the end of the contract and moving to another one. This is business as usual. Nothing to worry about or think too hard about...

Leave a comment:

• bulletprooffool
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

The professional way to do it is to advertise your own role yourself with you as the contact. Find someone who can do the gig then use the substitution clause in your contract to put them in place. Given how rates have fallen since you started there, if all works well you can be getting a nice %age cut on it too.
    Genius!

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If you are through an agency, remember that your contract is with the agency, so you actually need to be telling them that you are not renewing rather than the client.
    And that leads on to the nice way to do it.

Call the agent, tell them you want to leave and that you will help the agency find a replacement BEFORE the client knows anything.

Then the agent can ring the client in a week or so and say "I have a solution to a problem you didn't know you had; Chapess will be replacing Chap next Monday."

The professional way to do it is to advertise your own role yourself with you as the contact. Find someone who can do the gig then use the substitution clause in your contract to put them in place. Given how rates have fallen since you started there, if all works well you can be getting a nice %age cut on it too.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by herman_g View Post
    Just send an email to your boss advising him you are not available for renewal and thanking him for the opportunity.

If he calls you in to discuss it, just tell him you got an offer that was too good to refuse
    Yep - that's all you need to do.

If you are through an agency, remember that your contract is with the agency, so you actually need to be telling them that you are not renewing rather than the client.

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Originally posted by Chap View Post
    I'd be happier not renewing rather than resigning, in case of any IR35 issues (would /could there be any?)
    I'd be more concerned about the fact that you had a rolling indefinite contract - smacks of being a permie.

Still, too late for that now I guess. Good luck with the new contact

Leave a comment:

• Chap
    replied
    Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
    You've probably already considered this, but be aware that the next client co may not be happy for you to hang around at your current co.
    They are happy to wait until the New Year.

Leave a comment:

• JoJoGabor
    replied
    You've probably already considered this, but be aware that the next client co may not be happy for you to hang around at your current co.

Leave a comment:

• Chap
    replied
    So, something like;

[/]Dear xxxxx,

Please accept this letter as notification that I will not be extending the Contract between 'my company' and 'your company' beyond the current term i.e. 31st December 2009.

I would like to thank both you and the Company for the opportunities afforded throughout the last three years and wish you well for the future.

Yours sincerely,[/i]

And on (my) company headed paper, obviously.

That should do it, no?

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by herman_g View Post
    Just send an email to your boss advising him you are not available for renewal and thanking him for the opportunity.

If he calls you in to discuss it, just tell him you got an offer that was too good to refuse [SNIP!!!]
    WHS - at least up to the bit I snipped.

Keep your leaving polite and professional. Also, make it clear that you will still be around for a few more weeks, to finish off any work you are currently undertaking - including documentation and handover. Also make it clear that you would be more than happy in helping him recruit a suitable replacement - i.e. perform interviews, review cv's, etc.

Been through this process a few times myself. Always passed without incident, once you've made it clear you want to move on and try something new in your career.

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• herman_g
    replied

If he calls you in to discuss it, just tell him you got an offer that was too good to refuse and, he is the greatest boss you've ever had ( so you're sad to have to make such a decision ) and would love to work for him again in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Chap
    started a topic Not renewing - best way to advise Client?

Not renewing - best way to advise Client?

Evening - new here, so go easy on me

I've done a search, both in here and in the wider interweb world but can't find what I'm looking for specifically. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms?

Anyway, I've been contracting at my current site for what will be 3 years at the end of this year and have become a little disillusioned with what is going on, so decided to have a look elsewhere.

Had an interview Thursday and was offered Friday and have verbally accepted, subject to looking at the contract.

So, I'm not sure how to word or phrase the letter that I need to compose to the place where I work now, letting them know that I won't be renewing? Technically, I'm on 1 month notice but am happy to stay until the end of the year, when my 6 months is up (for clarity, it is a 6 month rolling contract, where if neither party declares any intention to the contrary, it rolls - no new contract signed).

Is there any sort of template anywhere? I'm fine with a regular letter of resignation as a permie but I'm assuming that as a Contractor, it needs to be on Limited Co headed paper.

I'd be happier not renewing rather than resigning, in case of any IR35 issues (would /could there be any?)

Working...
X