• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New to contracting - should it take this long??"

Collapse

• SuperZ
    replied
    Carry on looking for something else you must, sounds like a right sh**hole to work for. I`d be getting arsey with the agent by now and telling them to push the client if over a week has gone by since first verbal contract offer.

Leave a comment:

• Akeap
    replied
    I was due to have an interview there a few weeks ago, (call came out of the blue from agency after an initial call 2 months earlier).

The wanted to interview me the next day... I wasn't available..

I asked if they could kindly change the day to perhaps the day later or any time they could manage and I heard nothing.

I called agency a few times... usuall "thingy ma bob is on the phone", (never getting a call back) - nothing.

I assume that they have filled the 2 posts I was in the line for, I know of someone who has started there who was at my current clientco.

But reading posts on this forum they sound like a nightmare to work for in regard to their management/co ordination and it sounds like evern getting interviews sorted... I thinking Im better off out of it...

BUT, I do hope they send out your contract asap, and its not as bad as some have said good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Rupert
    replied
    Thanks

Thanks everyone for your experiences.

I don't know if I feel better or worse!

Still no definites...the agent says he keeps calling, and there's no problem, just everyone's very busy, and the guy who has to sign it off is hard to pin down....

It's only been a week and a bit I suppose, and by the sounds of it this isn't altogether unusual...

Have a good weekend, all
    Rupert

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    Be aware that clientco signoff of funding for you may also be delayed due to illness and other factors - I experienced 4 weeks of delay because of this between interview and receiving contract on my current role.

Keep on at your agency for a proper reason - if you are not getting one then I would start to become suspect. As the others say, I'd also keep looking as it's not in the bag yet.

Good luck though.

Leave a comment:

• northernrampage
    replied
    friend had bad experience too

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    My experience with Virgin was very bad..Last year I was offered a role directly to me at the end of interview, I had to inform agency abt the result..! Next day agency also got confirmation through preferred supplier the same. Next Monday I got news that Offer is withdrawn...!! So expect the best & prepare for the worst..!!
    A friend of mine contracted there, they terminated her contract before it was meant to finish. Then offered her a lot of extra money to come back as they suddenly realised they really did need her.

She refused as she hated it there so much. I'd probably look around just to be sure, it'll take you a bit to get another contract anyway, they may come up with the contract before then.

Leave a comment:

• BarbarianAtTheDoor
    replied
    Originally posted by sparkymark View Post
    As to expecting a contract within a day, I know nobody who has had this quick a response with a large corporate.
    I've only had 2 contracts with large corporate clients, but for the first one it was less than a week (I in fact started working there before contract was properly signed, was haggling on IR35 things, but it was a smallish consultancy), for the second one they did more vetting, so even though the first bits of the paperwork started coming around in 2 days, the whole process took about 2 weeks, and I was only allowed to start working there after everything has been sorted.

Both IBs though, so not sure about others.

As for a smaller one, had the interview on a Wednesday, started working Monday.

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    If need be ask the agent to email you a copy of the contract at least. If he doesn't do this within the hour start worrying...

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Rupert View Post
    I've spoken to the agent and he doesn't seem too concerned.
    Sounds more like he can't be a55ed. As things stand - and others have pointed out - you have no contract offer. What was said to you at the interview means nothing, as they could have interviewed a better candidate at a cheaper price 5 minutes after you left...

Stay positive, but keep looking around elsewhere in case it all goes wrong. In 20 years of contracting, I've never had to wait more than a day or two after the interview for the paperwork to start coming through - and it's usually digital these days. Still, I may have just been lucky?

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• The Agents View
    replied
    In our place (which is neither quick, or slow really for processing these things):

Offer closed Monday
    Contract generated Monday
    Gets collated and signed off by me, and my line manager Tuesday and goes in the post.

We are in the middle of a postal strike right now though - so I would suggest to the agent a digital copy of the contract so that you can read through the terms. If they refuse, the contract hasn't actually been confirmed, and the alarm bells should start ringing - especially if the agent isn't keeping you in the loop.

Hope that helps
    TAV

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by Rupert View Post
    Hi there

I went for an interview with Virgin Media last week and they offered me the contract. Since then i've heard nothing. It's been over a week now - shouldn't I have had some stuff though, like a contract (for example!), or at least a start date?
    My experience with Virgin was very bad..Last year I was offered a role directly to me at the end of interview, I had to inform agency abt the result..! Next day agency also got confirmation through preferred supplier the same. Next Monday I got news that Offer is withdrawn...!! So expect the best & prepare for the worst..!!

Leave a comment:

• sparkymark
    replied
    DS23 - Brilliant response, laughed my tits off

As to expecting a contract within a day, I know nobody who has had this quick a response with a large corporate. Having worked for EDS, Accenture, IBM, MoD, Fujitsu, ...... I can say from my experience that the quickest I've had a contract after the offer is a fortnight & the longest 6 weeks.

Good luck with yours

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    first rule of contracting: don't tell anyone where you are going until you are there, sitting at your desk and logged on. If you have been offered, I would expect agent to get contract under your nose within a day in case you wander off somewhere else. After a week I would be requesting a face to face to understand situ.

Leave a comment:

• Rupert
    replied
    I take it you mean you think it could fall through...?

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    it's not your first contract yet.

Leave a comment:

• Rupert
    started a topic New to contracting - should it take this long??

New to contracting - should it take this long??

Hi there

This is my first contract so please bear with me.

I went for an interview with Virgin Media last week and they offered me the contract. Since then i've heard nothing. It's been over a week now - shouldn't I have had some stuff though, like a contract (for example!), or at least a start date?

I've spoken to the agent and he doesn't seem too concerned. Should I be? Do these things usually take this long? I'm worried that this will fall through and i'll be heading towards the xmas season jobless...

Let me know what you think

Cheers
    Rupert

Working...
X