• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Passport, utility bill, p45 etc..."

Collapse

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Wirefan View Post
    Personally, I ask for it regardless of opt in or opt out at CV stage, and to be honest, in the last 4/5 years, I have not had one person who has rejected the request to supply a copy of passport/Visa/other eligability documentation (WRS etc) by scanned email or fax.

Where I learned my trade; AlexMann, they were extremely hot on process and eligibility checks etc. and you were 'instructed' to carry out these checks regardless.

When I was looking for my last role however, I was suprised by the amount of agencies who didnt even bother to gain permission to represent emails, let alone do eligability status checks.

Never had to ask for P45, or a utility bill though. (With the execption of when candidates go through screening within the financial sector as part of the entire pack)
    There was a programme on R4 last year about this. When prospective employers have reported irregularities they have not been followed up by the authorities as there is no mechanism to do so. The result of this legislation is:
    1. Too much personal data is kept on file insecurely.
    2. If you were born in the UK you are treated like a alien.
    3. If you are an illegal worker, as long as you have a forged or stolen passport you are OK.

I have done work for AM and the only documentation I sent them was a letter from my Ltd Co and that was fine by them. AM are big and that is all, I certainly would not brag about them especially knowing how the company started and by whom.

Leave a comment:

• Wirefan
    replied
    Personally, I ask for it regardless of opt in or opt out at CV stage, and to be honest, in the last 4/5 years, I have not had one person who has rejected the request to supply a copy of passport/Visa/other eligability documentation (WRS etc) by scanned email or fax.

Where I learned my trade; AlexMann, they were extremely hot on process and eligibility checks etc. and you were 'instructed' to carry out these checks regardless.

When I was looking for my last role however, I was suprised by the amount of agencies who didnt even bother to gain permission to represent emails, let alone do eligability status checks.

Never had to ask for P45, or a utility bill though. (With the execption of when candidates go through screening within the financial sector as part of the entire pack)

Leave a comment:

• Hex
    replied
    The full sentence that is relevant in your quote is:

"By virtue of regulation 32(6) this will extend to those persons provided
    through limited company contractors, where the notice under
    regulation 32(9) to opt out of the scope of the Regulations has not
    been given;"

So this means that you only have to carry out checks on Limited Company Contractors where they have opted in to the agency regulations. All agencies I have worked through have been extremely keen for me to opt out of the agency regulations - in these cases there is no requirement for the agency to carry out identity checks.

Do you carry out identity checks only on limited company contractors who have opted in?

Leave a comment:

• Wirefan
    replied
    Amiguity surrounds the wording and considered meaning of "introduce" or "introduction". Does one assume that this means CV submission stage, Interview, or Start Date? There is no case law, so is a grey area as to when this needs to be carried out. I believe this is a step which should be carried out prior to CV submission.

Leave a comment:

• Wirefan
    replied
    GUIDANCE ON THE CONDUCT OF EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES AND EMPLOYMENT BUSINESSES REGULATIONS 2003

Regulation 19 – Confirmation to be obtained about a work-seeker
    Provides that an employment agency or employment business must not
    introduce or supply a work-seeker to a hirer unless it has obtained
    confirmation:
    (a) of the identity of the work-seeker. This will mean seeing any
    document which provides evidence of the work-seeker’s identity,
    such as his/her passport, driving licence, birth certificate.By virtue
    of regulation 32(6) this will extend to those persons provided
    through limited company contractors
    , where the notice under
    regulation 32(9) to opt out of the scope of the Regulations has not
    been given;
    (b) that the work-seeker has the experience, training, qualifications
    and any authorisation which the hirer considers are necessary, or
    which the worker needs to have by law or by the requirements of
    any professional body, in order to carry out the work. This
    obligation can be properly discharged by the agency or
    employment business when registering a work-seeker. During the
    registration process it should request sight of evidence of training
    received, qualifications and authorisations such as certificates,
    and registrations with professional bodies. Again by virtue of the
    provisions of regulation 32(6), the requirements here must be
    extended to those persons supplied through limited company
    contractors, which have not given notice to opt out of the
    Regulations; and
    (c) that the work-seeker is willing to work in this position.

Leave a comment:

• Hex
    replied
    Originally posted by Wirefan View Post
    Agencies have a responsibility to carry out eligability checks on all candidates prior to being put forward to a client - regardless as to whether they are temp, LTD, Umbrella, or Permanent.
    Are you saying this is a legal requirement or just a responsibility you have decided for yourself that you need to take on? If you are saying it is a legal requirement then can you point us to what legislation requires you to carry out eligibility checks on Limited Companies?

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    With the current spate of identity theft would you be happing in doing this? Don’t do it.
    +1

I've just started a contract with an IB. It wasn't until after the interview and the formal offer of a contract that any references or utility/passport stuff was required. My last 2 contracts before this gig were also in finance, and again I wasn't asked for anything until after I'd accepted the contract.

Seems like the OP is being BS'd by and agent to me.

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• Wirefan
    replied
    Agencies have a responsibility to carry out eligability checks on all candidates prior to being put forward to a client - regardless as to whether they are temp, LTD, Umbrella, or Permanent. Proof of eligibility to work in the UK is very topical and we all hold a responsibilty as agents to ensure that these checks are carried out and recorded. Some take the decision to ignore this,

The correct time to do the checks is at CV submission stage, however most agents simply wait til an offer stage - either because they are too lazy, or do not understand the correct procedure.

Best endeavours come in to play though. For example, you cannot, as an agent be held responsible for failing to spot a suspect passport. So long as you have requested documents which in your opinion are genuine on receipt, and hold this as proof that you have made the checks.

heavy fines can be implemented on both agency, consultant and end client if found not to have carried out checks.

Jonathan
    Morson International

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Badger27 View Post
    Have been asked for all of this from agent before they put me forward - 1st time I've experienced this in 12 years of contracting - they claim this is normal procedure (they also want 2 referees of course) - do I detect some sort of identity theft ?
    With the current spate of identity theft would you be happing in doing this? Don’t do it.

Leave a comment:

• singhr
    replied
    For the sake of all your brother/sister contractors you need to push back on this tulip as much as you can. I avoid it by writing a letter saying 'I warrant that the company has all the necessary insurances etc.' and they leave it alone. If I don't give a toss, I ask them to supply me with a copy of their company's diversification, disability and environmental policies before I will do business with them.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    they are checking your proof of right to work in the UK.

problem is if you are a contractor running your own ltd then it is your co which employs you and not the agency and as such it is your co's responsibility to ensure its employees (e.g. you) have a right to work in the uk

but as someone else posted there is no way agents will understand this.......

Leave a comment:

• Badger27
    replied
    The agent is an outfit called London Top Recruitment

Leave a comment:

• Ruse
    replied
    I also experienced something similar for the first time last week, although they only asked me for my passport details. I just said I wasn't comfortable handing this over at this stage and I would be happy to provide it direct to client on receiving an offer of a contract. Agent said ok but I didn't get an interview, which is nothing strange in current climate but I was suspicous whether agent ever did forward my CV. I know the job existed as it was confirmed by a couple of other agencies.

Who is the agency in your case ?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    They are treating you like a temp not a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• Badger27
    started a topic Passport, utility bill, p45 etc...

Passport, utility bill, p45 etc...

Have been asked for all of this from agent before they put me forward - 1st time I've experienced this in 12 years of contracting - they claim this is normal procedure (they also want 2 referees of course) - do I detect some sort of identity theft ?

Working...
X