• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why do I need current investment banking experience?"

Collapse

• Ruse
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Went for 2 interviews for 2 different jobs with "a certain, very large German IB" with a gap of about 4 years between them. In that 4 years they hadn't changed one iota: rude, arrogant and utterly unprofessional. I refused to go back for second interviews on both occasions.

Mind you, my worst ever contract was with "Britain's largest retailer". Not one single contractor left that place on good terms, myself included.

I guess, when it comes to contracting at least, no industry is safe!

Nomadd
    I think the key word here is German rather than IB. I once worked for a large German retailer based in the UK. The senior managers would come over regularly and literally scream at the work force. They would be on the ground floor and I would be able to hear them clearly from my 2nd floor office. The other strange thing was that you were always addressed as Mr/Herr, no first names, I never really got used to that.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
    I think the difference of opinion maybe due to the individual IB culture, I worked at American IBs, British IBs and European ones (Amsterdam) frankly the British IBs are the best, the American/German IBs are just awful, I would avoid them at all cost(well unless am desperate and can’t find another contract haha!!)
    Went for 2 interviews for 2 different jobs with "a certain, very large German IB" with a gap of about 4 years between them. In that 4 years they hadn't changed one iota: rude, arrogant and utterly unprofessional. I refused to go back for second interviews on both occasions.

Mind you, my worst ever contract was with "Britain's largest retailer". Not one single contractor left that place on good terms, myself included.

I guess, when it comes to contracting at least, no industry is safe!

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• RedTag
    replied
    Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
    I think the difference of opinion maybe due to the individual IB culture, I worked at American IBs, British IBs and European ones (Amsterdam) frankly the British IBs are the best, the American/German IBs are just awful, I would avoid them at all cost(well unless am desperate and can’t find another contract haha!!)
    I've worked for US, Swiss and UK and they've all been great.

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    Actually, thinking about it, I also worked for a US oil company, that was awful too, lots of politics and backstabbing - so perhaps it’s the American work culture thing.

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RedTag
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewis View Post
    I can second that (both points) In fact I did once accept a role with the 'bugger' and left after 2 months as they turned out to be even worse than I feared. But I've been in IB for around 10 years and 90% of the people are very nice and friendly.
    Yup - another vote for IB's here. Great places to work.

Leave a comment:

• Lewis
    replied
    I'm a Contractor, not a Gentleman.

<aside>
    Can't understand all the negative replies about Investment Banking on this site? I've worked for three of them now, in total covering a period of about 6 years of my 20 year contracting career. I've worked on interesting projects with really nice teams of people; my current gig being a good example of that. You really couldn't wish to work with a nicer bunch.

Now, I'll admit, I've turned down plenty of IB work over the years as I just hated the buggers who were interviewing me. But then that's the trick, I guess, making sure you don't end up working with a bunch of a-holes in the first place...
    </aside>

Nomadd
    I can second that (both points) In fact I did once accept a role with the 'bugger' and left after 2 months as they turned out to be even worse than I feared. But I've been in IB for around 10 years and 90% of the people are very nice and friendly.
    Last edited by Lewis; 28 October 2009, 08:50.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Investment Banking - no place for a Gentleman.
    I'm a Contractor, not a Gentleman.

<aside>
    Can't understand all the negative replies about Investment Banking on this site? I've worked for three of them now, in total covering a period of about 6 years of my 20 year contracting career. I've worked on interesting projects with really nice teams of people; my current gig being a good example of that. You really couldn't wish to work with a nicer bunch.

Now, I'll admit, I've turned down plenty of IB work over the years as I just hated the buggers who were interviewing me. But then that's the trick, I guess, making sure you don't end up working with a bunch of a-holes in the first place...
    </aside>

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• Grunter
    replied
    That was enough Croydon for a lifetime for me.
    Nomadd
    Oh no its not! An excellent place. A watering hole for every day of the year!

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Investment Banking - no place for a Gentleman.

Leave a comment:

• Evil Hangover
    replied
    Oh no I don't.

Went there to have my bike dyno'd after I'd had a bit of tuning work done on it a few years ago. That was enough Croydon for a lifetime for me.

Nomadd
    Given the choice between the bench and a job in Croydon, I'd take the bench EVERY time.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
    You want to try working in Croydon.
    Oh no I don't.

Went there to have my bike dyno'd after I'd had a bit of tuning work done on it a few years ago. That was enough Croydon for a lifetime for me.

Nomadd

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    £450? That's a "carp" rate for an IB, even in the current market.

Also, Docklands isn't Central London. Docklands is a wind-swept wasteland - with Skyscrapers - in the far, Far East (of London). A truly horrid place. (I know, I spent 4 years working there; never again.)

Nomadd
    I don't mind it actually, bit different to the square mile but could be worse. You want to try working in Croydon.

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I always imagined that IB was full of nobs, am I right?

Leave a comment:

• RedTag
    replied
    It depends if you yourself are a nob. In my case, I don't notice all the other nobs so I don't have an issue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X