• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: IT in Cumbria

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "IT in Cumbria"

Collapse

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Is that anything like train spotting?
    No RC, all the pubs in town refused to serve us. It was about 8:30 on a Wednesday night we had left work early about 2 and been on it since then. They all phone each other so it's impossible to get served.

Leave a comment:

• Sailaway
    replied
    Thank you to all who have posted on this thread.
    Hopefully it has also helped some one else as well.

At the moment I'm based in Yorshire but wanting to move to Cumbria which was what prompted the original question.

Thanks everyone.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Crosby View Post
    I was once pub watched in Penrith.
    Is that anything like train spotting?

Leave a comment:

• Mr Crosby
    replied
    I was once pub watched in Penrith.

Leave a comment:

• jim2406
    replied
    Nhs trusts and local councils have demand everywhere, though you'd have more luck as a PM / BA / Developer / SQL bod. Basically anything but testing )

Leave a comment:

• mace
    replied
    Mint Cake on your Blackberry

Originally posted by Sailaway View Post
    Looking on various it job boards, I never seem to find any perm/contract roles in the Cumbria region (software testing).

Is anybody aware of any companies in this area recruiting for this type of work. If so, which agencies are their preferred suppliers?
    Contract

Software Developer

My client is currently looking for a Software Developer for 6 months to be based in the Cumbria area.

You will be involved in cutting-edge smartphone software development, working with the latest technologies and current mobile devices, and with some of the most forward-thinking companies in the world.

The ideal person will have experience in C++, C#, Java and BlackBerry; although we would consider developers strong in any language.

We pay good salaries and offer flexible working arrangements to successful candidates.
    Location Kendal, Cumbria
    Country UK
    Start Date ASAP
    Duration 6 months
    Employment Business Atlan Limited
    Contact Gemma Pearson
    Telephone 0161 282 1770
    Email [email protected]
    Reference JS/SRNK/012501
    Posted Date 25/08/2009 11:06:10

Leave a comment:

• mace
    replied
    Yeh move to the Isle of Wight, Man, Mull, Mid Wales and other well known IT hotspots.

Leave a comment:

• NetwkSupport
    replied
    i worked up in barrow for a year on the gas processing plant, there is NO work there apart from BAE, Centrica, Glaxo Smith Kline (?), Expro Tronic and er... Morrisons.

Was considering staying up there and commuting to Manchester daily for work bit far though. Id move house mate.

Leave a comment:

• Bod
    replied
    or the sausage factory in Shap. HTH

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    There is the Furness Building Society in Barrow

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Looking on various it job boards, I never seem to find any perm/contract roles in the Cumbria region (software testing).

Is anybody aware of any companies in this area recruiting for this type of work. If so, which agencies are their preferred suppliers?
    Cumbria is a wasteland with very little in the way of large scale IT projects. Its like the north east atm, not much going on.

Need to look further afield or, move to another location Im afraid.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    Indeed, precious little apart from those two.
    Well when I was a lad it was Vickers

portseven - expat Barovian

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Originally posted by portseven View Post
    If anything there would be stuff at either BAES (Barrow) or BNFL (Selafield)

Not much else
    Indeed, precious little apart from those two.

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    If anything there would be stuff at either Vickers (Barrow) or BNFL (Selafield)

Not much else

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied

Considering how little industry there is in Cumbria compared with much of the country it's hardly a surprise that there's next to no work.
    Last edited by TykeMerc; 23 August 2009, 12:51.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X