• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Max cost to meet a potential client..."

Collapse

• tino
    replied
    Originally posted by Stolly View Post
    I keep seeing this fact repeated here.

I wonder if anyone has a link to the relevant legislation that states this as fact ?

Wouldn't really want to get into a tiff with an agent only to find that people have just been repeating what they've read other people post on here.
    Do some research then

Regulation 32 – Application of these regulations to work-seekers which are incorporated
    The regulations automatically apply to work-seekers who are incorporated (i.e. limited company contractors). The regulations also apply to any person who is, or would be supplied by the incorporated work-seeker, to carry out the work.

However, the regulations provide that incorporated work-seekers, and those persons whose services they supply, can agree to opt out of the coverage of the regulations. In order to exercise the opt-out, both the incorporated work-seeker and the person(s) to be supplied to do the work (where appropriate), must give written notice to the agency or employment business that the regulations will not apply before they are introduced or supplied to the hirer.

Regulation 9 of the 2007 Regulations amends regulation 32(9) so that, where an incorporated work-seeker gives notice that the regulations shall not apply, the agency or employment business proposing to introduce or supply that work-seeker to a hirer, must inform that hirer that such an agreement exists and the regulations do not apply.
    http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/empl...page49906.html

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Stolly
    replied
    Originally posted by tino View Post
    It's not that you WON'T opt-out it's that you CAN'T opt out having already been introduced to the client means that you are well and truly firmly concretely opted in.

No piece of paper you sign now would change that anyway - I trust you've informed the agent of these facts?
    I keep seeing this fact repeated here.

I wonder if anyone has a link to the relevant legislation that states this as fact ?

Wouldn't really want to get into a tiff with an agent only to find that people have just been repeating what they've read other people post on here.

Leave a comment:

• tino
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I did.

However I could not have sold myself as I did face to face.

Suffice to say, I've won the contract.

Now the agent who got me the contact is throwing a womble because I'll not opt-out... doh
    It's not that you WON'T opt-out it's that you CAN'T opt out having already been introduced to the client means that you are well and truly firmly concretely opted in.

No piece of paper you sign now would change that anyway - I trust you've informed the agent of these facts?

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied
    I did the Eurolines thing to Hanover in Germany. Was about 26 or so hours. It was alright but I was a poor student back then and could not afford to be picky Cost about £60 though. Cheap airlines where not really going back then.

I would not recommend for a business trip

Leave a comment:

• Tingles
    replied
    Interview today....

Train Sheffield to London -> £240 plus cab to the City.

Leave a comment:

• MonzaMike
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    there are a few options between club class and Eurolines.

HTH
    I used to commute to Holland on a weekly basis and flew out most weeks with KLM for less than £100 (sometimes as low as £70). Never booked more than 1 or 2 weeks ahead. (Though this was Tuesdays which is a little quieter)

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    I'm in Holland at the moment and am looking temptingly at the 30 euros return trip from Amsterdam to London on the Eurolines bus (I guess that was who you went with?).
    (Compares well with 550 club class return on BA.com)
    But it takes 12 hours to get there, assuming the channel tunnel is not on fire.
    Is it really hell on wheels?
    there are a few options between club class and Eurolines.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I did.

However I could not have sold myself as I did face to face.

Suffice to say, I've won the contract.

Now the agent who got me the contact is throwing a womble because I'll not opt-out... doh

Leave a comment:

• The Agents View
    replied
    Have you considered the Skype option?

I've conducted interviews using this system before now - if you want to make sure you're both on the same page, then there are worse ways of doing things....

Just a thought.

TAV

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by Menelaus View Post
    Good idea, 'twas tulip.
    I'm in Holland at the moment and am looking temptingly at the 30 euros return trip from Amsterdam to London on the Eurolines bus (I guess that was who you went with?).
    (Compares well with 550 club class return on BA.com)
    But it takes 12 hours to get there, assuming the channel tunnel is not on fire.
    Is it really hell on wheels?

Leave a comment:

• tino
    replied
    I've shelled close to that to get to an interview before and didn't get the role.

It would have been in Havant anyway so I'm thankfull

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Ltd ability View Post
    That sounds similar to a gig i was interviewed for - you're not meeting the client in watford by any chance?
    Not exactly an interview, but I once had a meeting at Watford Gap services. It was equidistant for both of us.

Leave a comment:

• Ltd ability
    replied
    How do you limit the spend for a 1st time meet and greet?

I've had a call for a fixed price job, which is all well and good. However getting to the client for a face to face for the day is going to cost me near £500

Have you ever spent this much cash on visiting a client? I'm the only candidate for the job at the moment, a plus, and I could recover the cost if a positive outcome.

Are they're any pointers of measuring the risk? I'm the only candidate for the job so far.
    That sounds similar to a gig i was interviewed for - you're not meeting the client in watford by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• Menelaus
    replied
    I'm going for it.

Thanks for the advice. Nothing ventured nothing gained imo.

PS: Yes business expense so totally tax deductible, however, I shall give the bus a miss!!
    Good idea, 'twas tulip.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I'm going for it.

Thanks for the advice. Nothing ventured nothing gained imo.

PS: Yes business expense so totally tax deductible, however, I shall give the bus a miss!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X