• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "2 Prince or not 2 Prince?"

Collapse

• theraven
    replied
    In the current climate it is possible to get a PRINCE2 Foundation and Practitioner course with exams in a 5-day course for under £900 - the training companies are just keen to keep people coming through the door.

Call and negotiate with Parity, Global Knowledge, QAIQ and the rest, it is very competitive in the training market at the moment as a lot of companies have cut back on training costs and this is having an impact. Have a look at their late availability pages, some courses are a third of the price. I've been on 5 tutor-led courses inc PRINCE2 and MS2008 since the downturn started, just play them off against each other, it is a buyer's market.

Leave a comment:

• kanulondon
    replied
    [QUOTE=Svalbaard;787731]
    Originally posted by kanulondon View Post
    Got both ITIL(Red Badge) and Prince2(Prac)/QUOTE]

I did my ITIL SM (I wish it had been S&M) foundation certificate online through Pink Roccade. This has been of no real benefit though as once again it's just a spruced up rehash of processes that have been around for years - for people that haven't. It's one of those non-certificates that permies get offered as "career development" during 360 reviews.

I have both an Orienteering badge, and a jumper though - these are both red.

Green Badge (Foundation) is another tick in the box. And is necessary for many roles these days.

You have a fair point in terms of Red Badge, but again I have seen a number of roles specifically request this level of 'rehashness'

KL

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    [QUOTE=kanulondon;786723]Got both ITIL(Red Badge) and Prince2(Prac)/QUOTE]

I did my ITIL SM (I wish it had been S&M) foundation certificate online through Pink Roccade. This has been of no real benefit though as once again it's just a spruced up rehash of processes that have been around for years - for people that haven't. It's one of those non-certificates that permies get offered as "career development" during 360 reviews.

I have both an Orienteering badge, and a jumper though - these are both red.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    I find Prince2 Practitioner to be a very useful "tick in the box" to get roles.

I certainly don't regret what I paid for a course and the exams (£1500 ish if memory serves) I was lucky and had a very interesting and experienced trainer so it was 5 days well spent.

Obviously a Prince2 Practitioner cert doesn't actually make you into a real PM, but it's a handy door opener for those of us that are.

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    Originally posted by Mustang View Post
    How did you do your recertification?
    When you receive your P2 Practitioners certificate it has a certification date on it. As I said previous, I did mine with SPOCE and they are good at reminding you to do it, or just approach any decent training provider saying you need to recertify.

My next recert is in a year or so, so I will probabaly do an online refresher to bring me up to date with the changes to the method, and then do the online exam.

http://www.spoce.co.uk/prince2/re-re...n-options.aspx

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Svalbaard View Post
    the £400 recertification cost every 5 years or so
    How did you do your recertification?

Leave a comment:

• kanulondon
    replied
    Got both ITIL(Red Badge) and Prince2(Prac)

Both were instructor led. Definitely worth the effort, although the ITIL exam took 3 months of my life.

It's definitely worth getting the ITIL foundation (1 week) and full Prince 2 if you can.

Has definitely opened doors for me.

Once I got in front of the interviewer, I let my mouth do the rest (no pun intended)

Get it done asap

KL

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    Originally posted by deckster View Post
    Correct to a point, but I think they would be hard pressed to argue that PRINCE2 isn't relevant to anybody in IT. It's more to stop a developer sending themselves on a plastering course at their company's expense.
    I would agree that to claim it as an expense you will need to prove that it is relevant to your current role or skillset, which should be OK as you say you are already managing projects - as long as you can formally prove this to your accountant.

If you can't it might be easier to suck up the cost out of your own pocket and then make sure you work hard at landing some contracts with juicy day rates to repay that outlay.

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    What's your opinion of MSP? Any recommendations for vendors offering the course?
    Not widely required in the contract market. In my 15 year experience, most programme/portfolio managers that I have come across have been promoted to the role internally, or are permanent employees.

This is not to say though that it is a bad string to have on your bow - I believe that MSP concentrates on financial calculations a lot more which would benefit anyone seeking to progress up the ladder.

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    You can do the P2 Foundation and Practitioner in the comfort of your own home these days. SPOCE do a passport course. I think you can even do the exam online.

Does it pay for itself? Yes without question. It is quite right that no companies implement P2 the way it is in the manual, but it is still the main ticket to have if you want to work as a contract PM in the UK. I would conjecture that the £1400 or so it cost me to initially certify + the £400 recertification cost every 5 years or so has been one of the best investments I ever made in terms of cash return.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by deckster View Post
    Correct to a point, but I think they would be hard pressed to argue that PRINCE2 isn't relevant to anybody in IT. It's more to stop a developer sending themselves on a plastering course at their company's expense.
    Understood........just wanted to highlight the point.

It's 100% relevant to somone contracting as a PM or Prog Mgr. Knowing HMRC they might not consider it relevant to a software developer.

It's worth checking with someone that knows IMHO!

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by Papa Maji wa Maji View Post
    Have progressed to Programme Management and currently doing MSP
    What's your opinion of MSP? Any recommendations for vendors offering the course?

Leave a comment:

• deckster
    replied
    I would check with your accountant. I am not qualified to comment but as far as I am aware training is a tricky issue. If the training is to keep you current in skills you already have, then its tax deductable. If, however, it provides you with new skills it is not tax deductable.

Leave a comment:

• Grinder
    replied
    I would check with your accountant. I am not qualified to comment but as far as I am aware training is a tricky issue. If the training is to keep you current in skills you already have, then its tax deductable. If, however, it provides you with new skills it is not tax deductable.
    I would be very surprised if its not deductable. Its totally your core business to get trained and be marketable.

Anyone thought about ITIL? I have PRINCE2 practitioner but a lot of people say ITIL is more generally useful.

Leave a comment:

• Papa Maji wa Maji
    replied
    Did both Foundation and Practitioner yeras ago, has definitely been worth it for me.Have progressed to Programme Management and currently doing MSP

Leave a comment:

Working...
X