• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "PlanB: Contractors as VCs"

Collapse

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
    It would seem that most if not all contractors in IT have some lump sums set aside.
    Would it not make sense to get together and invest parts of it aggressively?
    Some ideas that come to mind are businesses that unlike web2.0 projects, require a relative big upfront investment, therefore there's less competition.

Just as an example, a car share business in either London or Greater Manchester area - not everyone can do it as you have to buy the cars upfront.

Would anyone be interested in becoming a shareholder of such (or a similar) business? What assurances would you need? What ROI would you consider interesting enough to take the risk?
    I would want to be the one sharing in taking the management decisions so that I know where the risk is.

But no, I don't think that I'd want to invest in a car share scheme.

tim

Leave a comment:

• MPwannadecentincome
    replied
    Its a good idea but I don't think you will find many takers for the risk on this forum!

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Liability View Post
    Let me tell you where I am with this.

It's a recession, I need all the money as contingency and for this reason - I am out.
    You are trying impersonate either Deborah or Duncan... Either way I'm ouT.

Leave a comment:

• Liability
    replied
    Let me tell you where I am with this.

It's a recession, I need all the money as contingency and for this reason - I am out.

Leave a comment:

• MikeC1408
    replied
    Here's my plan 'B'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7823812.stm

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Unless theo from Dragons den is running the VC then I am out.

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
    It would seem that most if not all contractors in IT have some lump sums set aside.
    Some ideas that come to mind are businesses that unlike web2.0 projects, require a relative big upfront investment, therefore there's less competition.

Just as an example, a car share business in either London or Greater Manchester area - not everyone can do it as you have to buy the cars upfront.

Would anyone be interested in becoming a shareholder of such (or a similar) business? What assurances would you need? What ROI would you consider interesting enough to take the risk?
    Here's a quid. I would want 10,000% ROI on it please and it has to be within 3 months. . Being a VC is risky unless you know what you are doing. Even if I had some spare cash, I wouldn't invest into a VC unless I know what I am doing.

Leave a comment:

• xchaotic
    started a topic PlanB: Contractors as VCs

PlanB: Contractors as VCs

Working...
X