• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is this time worse than before"

Collapse

• cykophysh39
    replied
    a fork and a fork is not a not a dinner set
    Last edited by cykophysh39; 15 November 2008, 00:46.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Rangster View Post
    I do similar work and am based in London and not getting any call backs at all. Some of the jobs are a like for like match for my current role for a major blue chip client. 6 years experience. Nothing.
    whs - i do BA stuff, 10+ years experience in the Lloyd's market, normally get called a few times a week regarding contracts via regular agencies.

now - nowt

Leave a comment:

• dmuk
    replied
    Originally posted by stantheman View Post
    What happened to the markets then, how long did it take to recover ?
    I reckon we have at least another 12 months of depression. The market is buggered. Today BT announced cutting 10,000 jobs, 6k of which are contract roles.

There are minimal new roles being released to the market making it highly competitive between candidates. Standards have been raised dramatically and you need to be prepared for interviews (if you get any). Remember that high skilled candidates are out of work and willing to work for the same or less than you.

Things are also taking a long time to turn around. I finally got interview calls for roles discussed a month ago. Notice the sense of urgency...

Referrals are taking up many places - ie managers and friends recruiting people they know or calling back past contractors. This means a lot of the roles actually available aren't even being advertised. Managers are keen to avoid paying big recruitment costs (by going via agencies or paying for bad picks).

This isn't the dot com crash, this is a real recession. The question is - do you take anything you can get or go on holiday?

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    It's times like this you wish you'd saved enough up to go on holiday for 6 months, if there's a chance the worst will be over by then.

Leave a comment:

• stantheman
    replied
    At least I am not on my own - I am getting no responses or phishing for leads. It is extremely frustrating at the minute, but i suppose it comes with the territory / season. My colleagues who have been contracting longer are a bit more sanguine about things so its more likey because its my first time looking.

To keep me going in the new year I have an outside project for a friend to develop a fairly simple system that he intends to run his business through. Whilst its not the most complex it will be critical to his business and livelihood - so it had better be good. To keep our costs down I am using LAMP software which I am not directly familiar with so there is a learning curve here for me. As this is the first time I have done such a piece of work and as I say I am getting some on the job training, I was wondering what people considered a reasonable rate. its probably about a months work and my current rate is about 50gbp per hour. Its also for a friend so I dont want to rip him off but I have a living to make as well.

I am really just looking for guidelines and past experiences

thanks

Leave a comment:

• tino
    replied
    Originally posted by Rangster View Post
    I do similar work and am based in London and not getting any call backs at all. Some of the jobs are a like for like match for my current role for a major blue chip client. 6 years experience. Nothing.
    Exactly the same as me my friend.

The one that did make me laugh was setting up a PMO for (i suspect) the BBC. I've spent the last 18 months in Italy doing the same in the same industry and they were offering £250 PD

Leave a comment:

• Rangster
    replied
    Originally posted by tino View Post
    I know,

Technically as a Project Planner / PMO Manager I should be lapping up the work as it stands. Tons of roles out there and paying anywhere from £400-£500 a day, I'm pitching at £370 and in a lot of cases suspect I'm not even being put forward to the client.

I'm based in Belfast but more than willing to commute Monday to Friday.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    You overestimate the power of recruitment agencies, so stick to poetry.
    LOL - that made me chuckle. But in all honesty - there are definitely agents slicing 100 quid off rates at the moment, but hey, that's the name of the game. Got the bottle?

2001 I was booted off a contract (with many others) and the whole of 2002 was spent doing freelance stuff but at least this kept me ticking over.

This time I am in a far better position to ride it out, no mortgage, no debts, so watch out, I'll undercut you all

Leave a comment:

• tino
    replied
    I know,

Technically as a Project Planner / PMO Manager I should be lapping up the work as it stands. Tons of roles out there and paying anywhere from £400-£500 a day, I'm pitching at £370 and in a lot of cases suspect I'm not even being put forward to the client.

I'm based in Belfast but more than willing to commute Monday to Friday.

Leave a comment:

• NickNick
    replied
    Originally posted by Diestl View Post
    Its seems normal to me, just seasonal changes. IT is such a intrinsic part of every business now, theres always work out there.
    Agreed, and just think of all the integration work out there with all the mergers going on in B&F

Leave a comment:

• Diestl
    replied
    Its seems normal to me, just seasonal changes. IT is such a intrinsic part of every business now, theres always work out there.

Leave a comment:

• tino
    replied
    It's bad alright, I can't even get a sniff of an interview at the moment and thats UK wide.

The agents aren't even getting back to me anymore.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    2001-2003 was seriously bad for IT, if you want to take a slice down technology it was way way worse than this. I remember not seeing jobs posted for weeks and weeks in Scotland and know loads of folk who just packed it in.

As always if your skills are good and look the part you are always fist in line. First think I would do if I was benched would be a complete revamp of my CV ( which is pretty good anyway ) and get measured for a new interview suit.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Say, you wouldn't be secretly enjoying some of this, would you?
    of course not expat.. gloating is for losers

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    It is not Bull at all, though maybe not 90/10. There will be fewer interviews and clients will be able to pick and choose the better contractors. Also your past relationships and past "quality of work" will play a large part in determining whether past clients will take you back.

So if you have p***ed any companies off by not turning up for interviews, playing clients off against each other or walking out on contracts then the market may well catch up on you.

Someone like you Turion with your confrontational attitude can in particular look forward to a long bench time.
    Say, you wouldn't be secretly enjoying some of this, would you?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X