• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract notice periods"

Collapse

• bridder
    replied
    I've had the contract changed to include a 28 day notice period, thanks for all your replies and advice

brid

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box
    always bear in mind they have your interests at heart about as much as a late 1980s pension salesman would.
    The only other tip I would add is to tell them only as much as they need to know. Despite their attitude, they aren't your friend and they will try to get as much information out of you as possible (potential leads) and won't hesitate to use dirty tricks against you. Treat with caution, take what they say with a pinch of salt and think very carefully before you open your mouth. When handled properly, they are simply an irritation, so don't let it put you off the potential rewards

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Good luck, Bridder. You are right that there will certainly be occasions when all you can do is chalk up a bad situation to experience. As far as agents go, they have their uses (sometimes), but always bear in mind they have your interests at heart about as much as a late 1980s pension salesman would.

Leave a comment:

• bridder
    replied
    I can see where wageslave and lucifer box are coming from, again thanks for the to the point and honest advice. This to me is all part of starting to think more like a business and less like a permie, extracting as much money as I can for my business and limiting my exposure to demanding and harsh contract conditions, I'm not talking here about just not having a month notice, everything really.
    Being a permie for so long I am having a crash course, I'm sure once I've been fryed a couple of times I'll be wary of much more,

thanks again,
    brid

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by bridder
    Whilst bargaining with the agency I am aware that I would like this to be a positive experience for them too, dealing with me, repeat contracts, finding work at the end of my contract, etc.
    Glad the advice is useful, Bridder, but forget all that stuff you have written above. That's how showbiz agents work, not recruitment agents. They will make no attempt to find you another contract when your current one ends, or anything else that you might expect a true "agent" to do. They do not consider they are working on your behalf and don't really give a damn. Fill your boots and if it's at their expense, all the better. There's plenty more agents in the sea.

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Originally posted by bridder
    Whilst bargaining with the agency I am aware that I would like this to be a positive experience for them too, dealing with me, repeat contracts, finding work at the end of my contract, etc.
    If an agent can make money on you and in the past you haven't caused them major problems, this is sufficient to ensure they will forward you for future roles.

Personally, I believe it's a mistake to attempt building long term relationships with agents, as it's a wasted gesture. The pimp isn't concerned with your best interests or developing your career. They want to make money, and if that means screwing you into a bad contract then so be it.

A contracting colleague of mine has a great attitude. Every time the little pimp calls him at work he responds with, "**** off, X, I don't have time."

Leave a comment:

• bridder
    replied
    Thanks LB, I suppose it all comes down to how much I want this then. Whilst bargaining with the agency I am aware that I would like this to be a positive experience for them too, dealing with me, repeat contracts, finding work at the end of my contract, etc. This of course does not imply that I am prepared to accept anything and everything, I'm not, the basic contract appears very much what I was expecting, it's not a deal breaker though...

much appreciated,
    brid

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    It's not unusual, but equally it's not unusual to get this changed. Although the agent will raise all sorts of objections, they will evaporate if you insist and say this is a deal breaker otherwise. It's you the client wants and the agent will not jeopardise that.

If it turns out to be a problem, you may need to contact the client direct so I hope you got some contact details at the interview. All agent objections will also evaporate if you can contact the client and tell them you would love to work for them but that the agent is being difficult, and most importantly that they should ignore whatever the agent says (the agent may very well tell the client that you are no longer interested if they are stupidly stubborn).

Leave a comment:

• bridder
    replied
    Thanks RL.

much appreciated,
    brid

Leave a comment:

• Rebecca Loos
    replied
    a lot of contracts are like that - the client/agency can give notice, but you can't. It's quite normal in my experience. You can ask the agency to insert a clause that would allow you to give 1 month notice too, I reckon it's 50-50 whether they accept or not.

Leave a comment:

• bridder
    started a topic Contract notice periods

Contract notice periods

Very new to this so input is much appreciated, I do actually come here virtually every day but mostly lurk and pick up tidbits of knowledge and experience from you guys and gals.

Secured my first contract . Anyway, my question/s, what kind of notice periods are usually present in contracts?

I have one with an agency whereby they can give me the boot immediately in the first week, I suppose that is understandable and protects them from a totally unmatched contractor, afterwards I get 28 days notice from them, so far so good, however I was expecting the ability to also give 28 days notice and I cannot, basically I have to work the entire 3, 6, 9, 12 months whatever the time period is, this just surprised me, is this the norm for agency contracts? If I did want the ability to give notice, say 28 days, do you think the agency would be obliging with regard to this request?

I wasn't completely gobsmacked but definitely a little surprised, maybe I have been a permie too long,

thanks for any input,
    brid

Working...
X