• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "CV advice - accounting for 'career' break"

Collapse

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    After contracting for 7 years, I took a break of about 2 years to start another business. Unfortunately the business didnt make the kind of money I was hoping for so had to come back contracting.

I just put on my cv about the other business opportunity and submitted it to agents. I got calls quite quickly and soon had a contract job offer. No one has questioned the break from contracting and I've been back 3 years this June.

Leave a comment:

• unemployed
    replied
    what a refreshing thread

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Idiots.
    Most clients are. So we have to tailor things based around that.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    I would definitely avoid a gap of anything longer than 4 weeks.

I was once told that if you have an unexplained gap of 4 or more weeks on a C.V., then the first thought that crosses people's minds is "Languishing at Her Majesty's Pleasure".
    Idiots.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    I would definitely avoid a gap of anything longer than 4 weeks.

I was once told that if you have an unexplained gap of 4 or more weeks on a C.V., then the first thought that crosses people's minds is "Languishing at Her Majesty's Pleasure".

Leave a comment:

• Hicks
    replied
    Originally posted by Eliot View Post
    did you find a job in the end?
    Quite surprised to see my old post resurrected.
    Have read the recent posts and most of them include some very good advice.

From my experience, it really is a game of chance as to what the view of the person reading your CV is regarding career absences.

I had some agents telling me it would be a problem whereas others had no problem with it.

A managed to line up a couple of interviews with large blue-chips by applying to them directly but in the end took a contract position due to the client, rate and role which I have been doing since March.

The client I am working for now, rightly surmised that I would potentially be keener than other candidates and gave me an interview. When questioned about the career break, I advised it was for personal reasons and no more was said about it.

To those in a similar position I would say do not give up hope.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    And what is wrong with doing time in chokey?
    Sign of criminal tendencies, stupidity (got caught), antisocial attitude, selfishness.... should have thought it would strike a chord with most agents

Leave a comment:

• HairyArsedBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by up4it View Post
    Don't tell them you were in prison whatever you do!!!
    And what is wrong with doing time in chokey?

Leave a comment:

• TheOmegaMan
    replied
    Agree with Emily - I have a one year gap on my CV, which I do not hide. Employers/clients often ask about this gap and I just repeat the two line explanation given on the CV. It has only ever been used against me once. After one hour of perfectly answered technical questions, the guy zeroed in on my one year gap and rejected me because of it. But this guy was just an a**hole - if the gap bothers you, don't bother interviewing me.

Life is a rollercoaster of a ride and the good people just keep on going.

Leave a comment:

• Emily
    replied
    In terms of accounting for the break on your CV I would say 100% (or 110% if I was an Apprentice) that you should mention the break on your CV. My advice on what to put would be to avoid saying something like 'Project Managing developing properties' and just put that you took time out for personal reasons and also did some property development. You don't need to go into detail as it isn't relevant. If you did any IT training or anything to keep your finger on the pulse then mention it but to be honest the recruiter/hiring manager won't be particulalrly interested in the details.

In terms of next steps I think you are more likely to get a permanent role. Recruiters looking for contractors don't tend to like recent career gaps because clients always highlight the need for the person to 'hit the ground running' which they assume someone who has been out of the loop for a while won't be able to do. Your best bet is to apply directly to companies and I cannot emphasise enough the need to tap up your current network of family, friends and colleagues as this is often a good way to find opportunities.

If you aren't already on LinkedIn then get on there and link up with anyone you have ever had a passing connection to. You's be surprised how many doors this will open for you.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• up4it
    replied
    Don't tell them you were in prison whatever you do!!!

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Not as profitable as I'd have liked - there were too many people watching property ladder!

A large proportion of my time was spent gutting and doing up a small terraced house which has been rented out ever since (4 years ago). It pays for itself and there's a good wedge of equity in it now. I see it as my pension scheme.

I'd have liked to have repeated it but as I said it was hard to find properties with sufficient potential.

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Were you gutted or was it actually quite profitable?

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by gadgetman View Post
    been made redundant 3 times in a row
    Were you gutted or was it actually quite profitable?

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    I was in exactly the same situation and took over 2 years out. I just put a couple of lines in the CV about taking time out to do property development. I think its bad to have any kind of unexplained gap.

Its been mentioned a few times at interview and I told the truth - I'd been made redundant 3 times in a row and wanted to take a time out.

I decided it would be far easier to get back in to IT as a permie, a grade or two lower than I left the industry at and that proved the case. I think prospective (contract) employers might be concerned about the time away from the coal face; they expect you to hit the ground running. Permie positions tend not to be so demanding. YMMV.

Anyway after a year or so I went back contracting and haven't looked back.

Hmm, just realised the date this was posted!
    Last edited by gadgetman; 21 May 2008, 14:32.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by bobsyouruncle View Post
    I had a pimp like that the other day, grilling me about what I had been doing, saying it made me look lazy
    Eff me! Some of these guys are not grasping the point of contracting: job wants doing, I can do it, cross my palm with... sorted.

As for inquiries about the rest of my life, none of your business. Unsolicited comments deducing character flaws from failing to spend 100% of your time doing what the pimp sells, doubly so.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X