• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Determining Agency Cut"

Collapse

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by aikidoka View Post
    (and trying my best to avoid emotes!)
    emoticons

Leave a comment:

• aikidoka
    replied
    Well, a bit of an update - thanks again to all who responded.

I have been offered the contract Despite some reservations I had that the interview had gone a bit bad, I was really strong in one area, and really weak in another - but I think you're always going to get that when going for a job.

They are even willing to wait while I work my permie notice period, and upped it to a 6 month rolling contract, which is an incredible bonus.

The only thing I need to do is to make that final decision to jump. It's a direction I never saw myself going in, but I suppose that is the nature of contracting - less predictable than permie work.

Thanks for all your responses, I'll probably be on soon asking loads of questions (and trying my best to avoid emotes!)

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    "the client has agreed to match" the originally offered value
    surprise surprise! good to hear, hope you get the contract,

tl

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Or punctuate with a "?" to mark the end of an interrogative statement, eh?
    I was just testing. To see how alert you all are.

Well done FaQQer.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny View Post
    I've got a good idea. Why not learn to spell.

As yes because the godly Denny never makes a typo either.....

Anything else you would like to take me to task for? May as well start your own thread in General.

"Reasons to hate Ardesco"

Sound like a good enough title?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

Or punctuate with a "?" to mark the end of an interrogative statement, eh?

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    thier

Leave a comment:

• aikidoka
    replied
    Thanks again for all the posts, and some very valid points there.

Maybe the agent did get over-excited when he saw my CV - it involves working with software that I wrote (while in permie employment, so it's not 'my' software) so I probably know it better than anyone else that he's got on his books.

Maybe I was being a little bolshy when I said I know for 'fact' that he is increasing his cut - what I do know is the reasons the client wants a contractor over using my current permie employer is that a contractor would be cheaper (strange as it sounds). It just seemed very fishy that the rate kept dropping.

However, my view is still unchanged, seeing as when I threatened to pull out of the interview based on the fact that the rate was dropping, "the client has agreed to match" the originally offered value, and I will now be attending the interview.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    The best way to get somebody to do something is make them think that it was thier idea to begin with.

Democracy is this idea with nobs on.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Because we need to believe that the democratic and legislative process, however flawed it might be, is infinitely better than a dictatorship, particularly by the recruitment industry, that's why!

Duh!
    Which therefore makes "the democratic and legislative process" a quasi dictatorship

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    ...I've had two phone calls from the agency, each time telling me that the rate is lower.
    Ignore them. You're the seller: it's your job to say what your price is, not the customer's. It's the customer's job to decide whether he can afford it or not.

Like, try popping into Tescos and telling them the price of champagne is not their suggested £20.99 but is in fact £16.99 and see how far that gets you.

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    Since when have laws been made for "good reasons" ?
    Because we need to believe that the democratic and legislative process, however flawed it might be, is infinitely better than a dictatorship, particularly by the recruitment industry, that's why!

Duh!

Leave a comment:

• max
    replied
    I know for a fact that the agent is taking advantage of me being a newbie to increase their cut.
    How do you know this for a fact?

Maybe they just quoted a large number to get you to drag your carcass out of permidom. You've been vacillating for years, so maybe they thought you needed a strategically placed firecracker to dislodge you.

What number were they talking originally? What skills/industry? ie: was it £1500/day for space invaders customer support?

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied

Correctly, I might add, particularly now that the market is looking a bit dodgy for contractors at the moment.
    Why do you say that?

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Why is it pointless? It was query raised by a contractor. If you thought it was pointless why answer it?

You obviously have had a very lucky run with your contracts. Some contractors don't and do have to put in extra skills or hours and the reason is probably to do with the EB mark up, in some cases.

If the law states that the EB mark up should be disclosed (someone posted a link earlier) can't you just assume that there must be a good reason for that?

There is far too much disjointed thinking surrounding contracting and that is why we're in such a mess about ir35 as well.

Contracting seems mostly about throwing darts at the dartboard blindfolded and hoping for the best. I don't regard this as satisfactory and I'm sure other contractors feel the same way, even if you don't Ardesco.
    Since when have laws been made for "good reasons" ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X