• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Advertising and Websites"

Collapse

• Fran
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l View Post
    I'm sure any minute now you will receive a PM from someone off this forum offering to do you a website and host it
    Wouldn't want to disappoint. I've just finished a CMS that I'm going to market. I would be glad to set it up for a massive discount, if you can give me feed back and comments. You would be able to edit and add pages as you wish. I can either use your design or get a design done for you. I can host or help you set up hosting!

Leave a comment:

• Kylie4485
    replied
    Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
    Thanks for the info. Still trying to decide whether or not its actually worth it
    Of course it is worth it. Internet is the biggest form of advertising. I don't know what field you are in, but generally if someone wants a services they will google it, once you have set up your website, its worth signing an account with google and viewing google analytics, if you ever need advice on free marketing for your site, just pm me.

Leave a comment:

• PorkPie
    replied
    Thanks for the info. Still trying to decide whether or not its actually worth it

Leave a comment:

• dmini
    replied
    The cheapest / easiest option Ive found is the office live one - free!
    You can choose your domain name, bring a website live, and emails in about 24 hours. MS even register your domain name free - then you can hike it elsewhere in the future if you choose to! It took me about 3 hours to get my website nice. Very basic website though on the free model - will take some html code though. You cant upload a website - but you can cut / paste.
    Email on the basic one is only internet based I think - havent found a way of downloading them yet.
    I only signed up & brought it live on Wednesday - but it seems reasonable.

The only advert it has live on mine is for Office live - no issue.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I can do setting up a website for my company; basically just want a presence, where I can advertise basic details of the company, clients etc. Want minimal hassle and cost in setting up and hosting with much quickness and plenty cheepness.

Bob Shawadiwadi

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane View Post
    This is all assuming that your cable/ADSL provider allows incoming traffic on port 80. I wouldn't recommend bothering with all this hassle when "proper" hosting is so cheap these days.
    No but running a website / e-mail server from home is a great way to justify 100% of your home adsl / phone line rental bills.

So what if they are the "backup" servers that only kick in should 1&1 be down for more than an hour. HMRC dont understand IT.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by Cooperinliverp00l View Post
    I'm sure any minute now you will receive a PM from someone off this forum offering to do you a website and host it. Nothing wrong with a quote from them. In the past i have used a company called Easily which seemed good at the time (2 years ago) all web based...email domain names and forwarding just simple set my Dreamweaver up to connect with site and pressed submit.

I use Easily as well, and Moonfruit for the Website.

www.epcs.me.uk

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    Anyone got any advice on companies to use/personal hosting etc. Do I need to run my own DNS if I host it at home?

Thanks.
    What about freehostia.com, choose the free option and it is really easy to use and good control panel.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Hi,
    Do I need to run my own DNS if I host it at home?
    If you really wanted to host it from home (I assume on a computer connected via a router to an ADSL/cable line), you'd need to:

1) use your domain provider's control panel to point the A record of the domain to your ADSL/cable IP address,
    2) set up a host header on the computer at home to point visitors to the correct website,
    3) open up port 80 on your home router and point it to the internal IP of the computer hosting your site.

This is all assuming that your cable/ADSL provider allows incoming traffic on port 80. I wouldn't recommend bothering with all this hassle when "proper" hosting is so cheap these days.

Leave a comment:

• Cooperinliverp00l
    replied
    Hi,

I am thinking of setting up a website for my company; basically just want a presence, where I can advertise basic details of the company, clients etc. Want minimal hassle and cost in setting up and hosting.

Anyone got any advice on companies to use/personal hosting etc. Do I need to run my own DNS if I host it at home?

Thanks.
    I'm sure any minute now you will receive a PM from someone off this forum offering to do you a website and host it. Nothing wrong with a quote from them. In the past i have used a company called Easily which seemed good at the time (2 years ago) all web based...email domain names and forwarding just simple set my Dreamweaver up to connect with site and pressed submit.

Leave a comment:

• PorkPie
    started a topic Advertising and Websites

Advertising and Websites

Hi,

I am thinking of setting up a website for my company; basically just want a presence, where I can advertise basic details of the company, clients etc. Want minimal hassle and cost in setting up and hosting.

Thanks.

Working...
X