• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How much commission?"

Collapse

• XLMonkey
    replied
    Yes, I've done this a few times. 10-15% is fairly reasonable. You should ensure that:
    - you're specific what whether this is 10-15% of what the client bills, or you receive (sounds silly, but if you bill the client 100, do you pay them 10% and end up with 90? or do you bill the client 110 and pay them 10, so they've received 10% of your net receipts)
    - expenses are excluded
    - if you are billing the client direct, and then paying the commission, that you pay out AFTER the client pays out (so, commission on actual revenue rather than projected)
    - the agreement only covers the initial period of work, so that you aren't bound to the same deal for any extensions/other business

Leave a comment:

• boredsenseless
    replied
    I've done similar things with other consultancies.

They tend to insist on at least 30% of a cut as otherwise it 'hurts' their overall profit reporting.

i.e. a project they staff internally gives them a 30% profit (once you take into account the convoluted way they work out resource cost). If they give a project to you at 10% comission it would then appear that their overall profitably was only 20% of turnover and this would affect the bosses bonus.

The percentage isn't important the end figure is what matters. If they take 80% but you still earn more than you would do normally then everyone is still a winner, even the end client wins, because even if you don't do the job they'll just put a graduate on the job and he'll do it worse but bill at the same rate.

Leave a comment:

• Fran
    replied
    Great help.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Make sure that your agreement with the finder is written well enough - you don't want to be paying them commission for all the work that you do for the client forever.

Leave a comment:

• Apache
    replied
    Finders fee

Anything between 10% ans 20% depending upon the amount of work involved and whether you're likely to get future work out of it - it's a finders fee you're talking about.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    There's no such thing as standard in such a scenario. All that matters is that the financial arrangement you come to is acceptable to both yourself and your client.

Leave a comment:

• Fran
    replied
    Has anyone done something like this?

Leave a comment:

• mace
    replied
    Sounds great

Agencies used to be on margins of 30% in the early days. Nowadays, they can go as low as 10% if they have a long term relationship with a client. If you regard pimps as your sales force, how much is the typical cost of sales and marketing for a company? I reckon it's a lot more than 15%.

Leave a comment:

• Fran
    started a topic How much commission?

How much commission?

There is a local (to me) company that I do some smaller project work for along side my normal gigs.

They have had a request from a client that is right up my street, but that they wouldn't really have any involvement with. They have offered to pass the client over to me . They are going to take a % commission, suggesting 10/15% of the total cost of the project.

This seems about right to me, but I want to get a feel of what is standard.

Has anyone else ever worked like this? (I mean apart from normal agency work) If so what commission rate did you pay?

http://www.bluejumper.com

Working...
X