• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone for Fortran ?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
    Why are so many years old threads resurrected by people on their first post?
    internet search.

remember DS - your comments will echo forever. be careful what you say!!

<gulp>

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    What are rates like for fortran?

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    I didn't even notice the posting date.

Leave a comment:

• DiscoStu
    replied
    Why are so many years old threads resurrected by people on their first post?

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    Used it in college (I am old!) along with Cobol, neither of which have I used since.

Leave a comment:

• colinc
    replied
    Great language.
    Has lots of advantages which a C programmer wouldn't see because they are not old enough to have sufficient experience. Why do comedians write books like "Computing for Senior Citizens"? Same as writing "Tying shoe laces for Senior Citizens"; a bit boring!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: fortran

Not used it for over six years and even then It was just for occasional fiddling with an old physical properties package, was mostly using C.

Amazed you too started on ALGOL though, thought I was the only one on this board who had ever heard of it. You must be 306 too.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    fortran

You fortran boy just wont die

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: The stories of its death are grossly exaggerated

We have been told |I

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The stories of its death are grossly exaggerated

No, folks, Fortran is well and truly alive and kicking.

The new version of Salford Fortran 95 is even .Net compatible and can be used in mixed-language programming with C# and VB etc, and there's active language development continuing.

I'm using it for scientific software development (there's a vast amount of legacy code out there that would otherwise be unusable) on a project for the British Geological Survey - but there must be plenty of other organisations/companies that still use it because Salford Software is thriving on its Fortran compiler sales ! There are another half-dozen or so commercial vendors of Fortran compilers too.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Fortran

I was told a while ago that it is still the lang of choice on cray kit. Although it may just be thatr the libraries and routines are known to be reliable and safe.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Algol - look at that dust....

Lloyds Register of Shipping used Fortran until a couple of years ago. Moved to VB!!!!!!!!

Anyway havent touched it for years. Did my 'industrial placement' in it? I'm surprised your still using it I though it died out when Charles Babbage was a boy

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Algol - look at that dust....

Couple of thoughts - dont gnu have an algol compiler ?
    Also what about Dr.Dobbs they have a cd set of compilers for 'obscure' languages.

Not used Fortran for years.....went to C.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Anyone for Fortran ?

Anyone for Fortran ?

OK, so you've never even heard of Fortran... You need read no further.

It would be interesting to talk to somebody else who actually still uses this language, which I believe is still possibly the best for technical applications programming. It's beginning to get lonely in Fortranland, when even my clients don't understand what I'm doing ! (aside ... but then I first started programming in the 1960s in Algol (what's that I hear) and Atlas Autocode. Anybody know where I can find a good Algol compiler for Windows ?)

Working...
X