• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: References

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "References"

Collapse

• sli_gryn
    replied
    since the person who's giving me a reference is usually doing me a favour, if it all looks legit, i prefer to ask for the end clients details so that i can pass them on to my referee, then they'll contact them at a pre-arranged time to discuss. that way, am looking all nice and fair, and if it scares them off, oh well!

Leave a comment:

• Water Gypsy
    replied
    Other Agency tactics to Get 'References'

Over ten years contracting experience and this is what I've come across:-

1. They ask you if Joe Bloggs was your manager at a previous contract. You say 'No, Jimmy White'; they then have a contact. I don't like their tactics so I don't give them any leads.

2. When in a contract, I've been pestered by agents to give more than two references for, as they say, 'administration purposes'. Again, baloney. In one contract, I was pestered for six months to give superflous references.

3. I always say that I'll provide references at interview stage. I like the idea of providing an agency as a reference: I've often, sadly, pondered this!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I usually give references from other agencies that I've worked through.

If they want client references, then I have a couple of useless ones (they are good references for me, but from customers who will not be taking contractors through an agent), or fall back on the "I'll tell the client directly at interview" line.

Leave a comment:

• buffdaddy
    replied
    I usually say that I supply references at the interview. that usually sorts that out.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane
    The agent is fishing. If this is prior to signing a contract, tell them you have a policy of only supplying references directly to the client. Chances are you'll find out very quickly how real the proposed contract is.
    Agreed - pimp's looking for leads. Naughty.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    The agent is fishing. If this is prior to signing a contract, tell them you have a policy of only supplying references directly to the client. Chances are you'll find out very quickly how real the proposed contract is.

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    started a topic References

References

I have done a quick search and cant find much in the way of posts regarding references so thought I would create a new post.

What is the panels view on agents asking for references?

I just had a call from an agent saying that the client is asking for them. How do I ascertain that is is genuinely the client and not the agent trying to get names of hiring managers?

Any advice welcome!
    Last edited by Mustang; 6 August 2007, 12:19.

Working...
X