• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Working in the US

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Working in the US"

Collapse

• sli_gryn
    replied
    Originally posted by archangelmichael
    All,

Sorry if this is a much asked question just that I need some advice.

A colleague is emigrating to the USA in September and I want to retain his professional services. He will not have a green card until early next year, when he will set up a US company to contract through.

In the meantime, can I get him to set up a UK company and invoice me through it even though he is working in the USA? What are the things he should be concerend about and needs to put in place to make sure he can work through his UK company - neither of us have had to do this before. Will the US system tax him or will it be fine for the first 6 months.

Apologies if this is a repeat question.
    ok, first, he can work through a UK company, it doesn't matter where they are providing the services from as long as it's not stipulated in the contract that they must be on site.

second, what kind of visa are they using in the US? do they have an SSN or tax number or something? if the income is in the UK, and they have an SSN, they have to at least declare it to the IRS, but there's a treaty of some sort between the UK and US that if you've paid taxes in one place, you don't necessarily need to pay it in the other.

i think you can actually setup a Delaware LLC without being a US Citizen and get an EIN (bank acount, etc) but you'll need to google that one.

i stand to be corrected, but i don't think they're presence in the US is going to be too much of an issue, just where they declare their income (and who gets a piece)

HTH

Leave a comment:

• archangelmichael
    started a topic Working in the US

Working in the US

All,

Sorry if this is a much asked question just that I need some advice.

A colleague is emigrating to the USA in September and I want to retain his professional services. He will not have a green card until early next year, when he will set up a US company to contract through.

In the meantime, can I get him to set up a UK company and invoice me through it even though he is working in the USA? What are the things he should be concerend about and needs to put in place to make sure he can work through his UK company - neither of us have had to do this before. Will the US system tax him or will it be fine for the first 6 months.

Apologies if this is a repeat question.

Working...
X