• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract termination (AGAIN)"

Collapse

• nucastle
    replied
    Cant i just lamp him instead

... ive never seen such a concerted effort to make me stay - even far surpassing my permie days Im touched.

Leave a comment:

• kramer
    replied
    listen me little geordie... don't give up the fight... 3 months was the plan.

Catch this guy a the local all male sauna and confront him with the photographic evidence..

Job done.. you may even enjoy the sauna

Leave a comment:

• nucastle
    replied
    He's a french speaking local - ironically we are all working for external companies in one shape or form, but his senior/architect role makes getting rid of him a little less cut and dry. His card is marked for sure - but not on the kind of timeframes im prepared to find out on

.... i might try point blank taking him to task in front of everyone for a laugh - im determined to leave, but it might be good to see if i can make him sweat first.

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    give them a smack. This could work either way. It will sort said pain in the arse out or give them a reason to get rid of you immediately.

Either way, you'll get so much more satisfaction out of it...

Leave a comment:

• Rantor
    replied
    Originally posted by nucastle
    generally being obnoxious, difficult to work with, communicate with, outright insulting .... and having the blood of 3 other contractors on his hands.

some might say 'suck it up' and that its part of the job but i'd rather have problems back in my home country, than this far away from good old blighty.
    Is he a local guy?

Sometimes the working practices here are spectacularly dysfunctional and (occasionaly) you will get someone trying it on - throwing their weight around etc.

If the guys making the financial decisions think you are up for it you have nowt to lose by having a full-on confrontation with him. Belgians do not like this at all as it is not how they do things and find it very difficult to handle - even those that like to dish out a bit of abuse to others.

Might just work

Leave a comment:

• PrinceNamor
    replied
    generally being obnoxious, difficult to work with, communicate with, outright insulting .... and having the blood of 3 other contractors on his hands.

some might say 'suck it up' and that its part of the job but i'd rather have problems back in my home country, than this far away from good old blighty.
    Is he a permie? If he is can't you raise this with someone more senior in the organization? I wouldn't let some obnoxious twat cost me money. You are in a position of power here in that you don't give a **** whether or not you lose the contract. I would cause as much annoyance for this pleb as possible whilst having fun with it.

Leave a comment:

• nucastle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by PrinceNamor
    What is this person doing that is making it so hard for you?

mmm thats what I was thinking....

Leave a comment:

• PrinceNamor
    replied
    Thanks for your contribution

... the rate is 500 quid a day, and the head managers think i have all the skills to do the job, have said so repeatedly - and dont want me to leave.

I dont have another contract lined up (yet) but they are all at least 100 quid a day less back in the UK. Im willing to walk away and face a delay while i find something else. Workwise, everything is getting done as it should. So no 'tits up' sorry

Money wise, its great - but the situation for me is terrible.
    What is this person doing that is making it so hard for you?

Leave a comment:

• nucastle
    replied
    Thanks for your contribution

... the rate is 500 quid a day, and the head managers think i have all the skills to do the job, have said so repeatedly - and dont want me to leave.

I dont have another contract lined up (yet) but they are all at least 100 quid a day less back in the UK. Im willing to walk away and face a delay while i find something else. Workwise, everything is getting done as it should. So no 'tits up' sorry

Money wise, its great - but the situation for me is terrible.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    I gave notice last week to my agent that i wanted to terminate this NIGHTMARE contract out here in Brussels. Originally i was at a point where i wanted to walk out the door at the end of the day and never come back - but i was eventually talked into my notice being from today (a monday), instead of last tuesday - in order to give the agent time to find a new person (a personal plea)

Now today im getting emails back and forth about how the agent is going to work towards finding a solution towards the situation im in (the client wants to keep me, but i want to leave because of a singular member of staff who has made things very difficult) BEFORE she accepts my notice.

Ive said my notice is non negotiable, but now im wondering that email notice last week (a letter in an attachment) is going to be something she uses on me to hold me to this stupid contract till she gets another chump in.

I should have gotten a letter out to the agent, yeah? Is my notice basically null and void until then?
    In other words you have been offered a better paid contract somewhere else which is now going t**s up

Leave a comment:

• nucastle
    replied
    UK agent and my Ltd is UK based.

So i assume the UK law stands here? If thats the case then thats at least a small glimmer of hope to me here that im nearly a quarter of the way through this!

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    I gave notice last week to my agent that i wanted to terminate this NIGHTMARE contract out here in Brussels. Originally i was at a point where i wanted to walk out the door at the end of the day and never come back - but i was eventually talked into my notice being from today (a monday), instead of last tuesday - in order to give the agent time to find a new person (a personal plea)

Now today im getting emails back and forth about how the agent is going to work towards finding a solution towards the situation im in (the client wants to keep me, but i want to leave because of a singular member of staff who has made things very difficult) BEFORE she accepts my notice.

Ive said my notice is non negotiable, but now im wondering that email notice last week (a letter in an attachment) is going to be something she uses on me to hold me to this stupid contract till she gets another chump in.

I should have gotten a letter out to the agent, yeah? Is my notice basically null and void until then?
    Is the law on electronic communications in Brissells the same as the UK (i.e. they are as valid as a letter?). Which country's law applies in this situation?

Leave a comment:

• nucastle
    started a topic Contract termination (AGAIN)

Contract termination (AGAIN)

Working...
X