• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Reference request form"

Collapse

• chicane
    replied
    That's pretty much what I did in the end. Handed all the paperwork sans the 'reference request form' to the agent. No mention of it, so it looks like it's not going to be any hassle. I guess they just use it to exploit contractors who are a bit wet behind the ears...

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane
    I think what I'll do is offer to fill in the form, but only supply it directly to client if they ask.
    The agent has sent it, not the client. You've no reason to think it's for the client. Ignore it.

Leave a comment:

• buffdaddy
    replied
    I was asked this and I wrote in a polite email that I am bound to confidentiality clauses in my previous contracts and cannot name names.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    I think what I'll do is offer to fill in the form, but only supply it directly to client if they ask. Even though I've got the contract, keeping hold of references has to be a good bargaining tool when dealing with the agent in relation to future contracts...

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    I totally agree with this, but the point I'm making is that I believe it's the agency requesting the references and not the client.

I am of course happy to pass references directly to the client, but need a sugar -coated manner in which to communicate this to the agency.
    Another reason agencies ask for references is so they can pimp for placements at previous places you've worked at. If the client is asking, that's a completely different kettle of fish.

I guess to sugar-coat has to refer to a contact at the client with whom you can dscuss references - this way you're not avoiding the issue or refusing to co-operate, and you're not helping out on a pimp's job either

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by Vito
    When I have used suppliers in the past I have always insisted on reference calls and when I have been spending a lot of cash I have done reference visits...
    I totally agree with this, but the point I'm making is that I believe it's the agency requesting the references and not the client.

I am of course happy to pass references directly to the client, but need a sugar -coated manner in which to communicate this to the agency.

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    Thing is though, I've already got a confirmation from the client that my company has won the contract. Surely if there's no mention of references within the contract terms & conditions, the provision of this reference sheet becomes optional?

I'd have no problem giving refs to the client, but somewhat wary of providing a long list of them to the agency for obvious reasons.
    Sound like they are looking at you with permie glasses

Leave a comment:

• Vito
    replied
    I have testimonials on my company website and point clients in that direction...if they want more they can feel free to contact my previous clients if they so wish.

When I have used suppliers in the past I have always insisted on reference calls and when I have been spending a lot of cash I have done reference visits...

I think its reasonable for clients to want to check your company out but I agree with Kyajae and think you need to be careful how it is done.

So far though, my website has done the job for me and no-one has contacted any of my previous clients as far as I'm aware...

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Thing is though, I've already got a confirmation from the client that my company has won the contract. Surely if there's no mention of references within the contract terms & conditions, the provision of this reference sheet becomes optional?

I'd have no problem giving refs to the client, but somewhat wary of providing a long list of them to the agency for obvious reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Kyajae
    replied
    The agency for my new contract has had the cheek to send, along with all the standard contract paperwork, a 'reference request form' on which they ask for contact details of all the companies I've worked with in the last 2 years. Pretty cheeky I reckon.

Anybody else experienced this practice - if so how did you tell the agency to go forth in the nicest possible way?
    Depends. If you are a ltd co. they should be asking for references for your company, not yourself which could be an IR35 pointer. References are not unusual requests considering how many contractors I've met who bullsh1t big time on the CVs and certifications and seem happy to brag about it to other contractors.

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    started a topic Reference request form

Reference request form

The agency for my new contract has had the cheek to send, along with all the standard contract paperwork, a 'reference request form' on which they ask for contact details of all the companies I've worked with in the last 2 years. Pretty cheeky I reckon.

Anybody else experienced this practice - if so how did you tell the agency to go forth in the nicest possible way?

Working...
X