• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract daily rate pay cut or 4 weeks notice"

Collapse

• portseven
    replied
    Name and shame the end client!

Leave a comment:

• washed up contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Obviously not.

I suggest you read it again, "I know someone".

The person who attained the rise wasn't me, but someone who I currently work at Client Co with.
    You protest too much

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
    Oh get over yourself SE. You come across as one of the most pious posters here too.

My 'English comprehension' is very good thanks and it was perfectly clear what the snide comments were pertaining to ie other people get rate cuts, not me. In fact I got a rise.
    Obviously not.

I suggest you read it again, "I know someone".

The person who attained the rise wasn't me, but someone who I currently work at Client Co with.

Leave a comment:

• washed up contractor
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    English comprehension is not your strong point.

Good idea to read the actual words more than once before making the presumption the poster is talking about themselves.

Some of us network or have family and friends who are contractors.
    Oh get over yourself SE. You come across as one of the most pious posters here too.

My 'English comprehension' is very good thanks and it was perfectly clear what the snide comments were pertaining to ie other people get rate cuts, not me. In fact I got a rise.

Leave a comment:

• Naq
    replied
    Thanks to everyone who replied, much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    No, in a thread about rate cuts, you were blabbing on about how you always get more than everyone else. That's the snide bit with your posted.
    English comprehension is not your strong point.

Good idea to read the actual words more than once before making the presumption the poster is talking about themselves.

Some of us network or have family and friends who are contractors.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    No, in a thread about rate cuts, you were blabbing on about how you always get more than everyone else. That's the snide bit with your posted.
    Ahem.

Lets revisit. I have been dealing with idiots all day that do not read or assimilate information, so no problem with one more.

I shared a few things I know about rate cuts, common in Investment Banking, where in the below am I referring to myself?
    The reason I'm not is because they are not necessarily first hand epxepriences, but shared from people I know.

I really hope you aren't any kind of analyst

Funny things rate cuts.

It should be noted they do not necessarily affect everyone in a particular org, regardless of what is communicated, because:-

Some contractors simply refuse and they are needed so the rate doesn't get cut.
    Some contractors don't even get asked.
    Some agencies / consultancies have some kind of contractual arrangement, with the client, which means the rate cannot be reduced.

In fact I know someone that refused a cut and then asked for and got extra at renewal

Leave a comment:

• washed up contractor
    replied
    LOL.

I was purely stating a few things about rate cuts is all.

I do apologise if you think that is "snide"

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    You really are a snide ****.
    LOL.

I was purely stating a few things about rate cuts is all.

I do apologise if you think that is "snide"

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by le3ky View Post
    If there are people there contracting through an ltd for 8+ years, there are probably bigger issues to worry about...
    Yeah, like where to source a wheelbarrow big enough to carry all that filthy lucre!!!!

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    If it were me, I'd get on the phone to the agent and say, "You've really screwed me over on this one, and it seems you owe me. So how about getting me another role? What do you have coming up?"
    You: "You've really screwed me over on this one, and it seems you owe me. So how about getting me another role? What do you have coming up?"
    Agent: "Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha" <hangs up>

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Naq View Post
    Thanks for replies so far.

Yes, I am a little annoyed. A 2-year gig is good but low compared to some in the same location (some 8+). It is what it is but with 3 months left on my existing contract, the questions I have are:

a) Is right and/or legal to force notice on a contract for not accepting a change in conditions? (Understandable at renewal but not mid-contract).
    b) Is the agency in some way liable for the miscommunication that brought about this situation in the first place? (Otherwise, I'd still be in contract for the forseeable future).

I'm definitely looking elsewhere now and echoing some of the comments above, a 2+ year gig is good, however, a 3+ one would have been better!

Thanks again for any advice given.

N
    It's not right but it is legal. Sounds rubbish but you have to move on.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    If it were me, I'd get on the phone to the agent and say, "You've really screwed me over on this one, and it seems you owe me. So how about getting me another role? What do you have coming up?"

This really only costs you if you end up on the bench. If they get you another role, all is good. Maybe they'll get you one that is less likely to get you dragged inside IR35.

Leave a comment:

• washed up contractor
    replied
    Funny things rate cuts.

It should be noted they do not necessarily affect everyone in a particular org, regardless of what is communicated, because:-

Some contractors simply refuse and they are needed so the rate doesn't get cut.
    Some contractors don't even get asked.
    Some agencies / consultancies have some kind of contractual arrangement, with the client, which means the rate cannot be reduced.

In fact I know someone that refused a cut and then asked for and got extra at renewal
    You really are a snide ****.

Leave a comment:

• SeededLoaf
    replied
    What a tulip agency. So they could have negotiated with you and at least kept a placement...

Only thing you can do is put your cards on the table with the client? but guessing by 'irreversible miscommunication' means you have done that already.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X