• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New contract discussion and NDA (non-disclosure agreement)!!!"

Collapse

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Sounds like you want to do it so thanks for, at worst, sacrificing a few hours of your time to later give us feedback on how it went, to help anyone in a similar position in future.

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by borderreiver View Post
    Absolutely this.

Tell them you'll be invoicing them separately for your time up front but will deduct this amount from your first "regular" invoice if they take you on afterwards.

If they seriously think their idea is going to work and aren't just trying to get some free work out of you, they should be fine with that.
    Hoping this will lead to something!!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    Ok. so you signed NDA after getting a contract only..??

Their business is my 'expertise' area!!
    Yep.

Most ideas aren't niche. The detail is the niche part.

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
    There is an easy way to spot most of those assholes. When the agent tells you that it's a small startup, just two guys... but they offer a very high rate you know they are just interviewing contractors to learn for free. They will be asking practical questions, e.g. "so, in terms of scalability... which solutions would you recommend and why?" and if they invite you for an interview they will give you an NDA to sign for the privilege if being interviewed by them.

no agency involved...no offer so far!!

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nope for the first.

They should give you a generic clue on what the project/business is about first.

I've signed NDAs but only after I've had an idea of the business area and the firm has offered me a contract.

There is no point in signing an NDA if you don't have an idea on the business area as it could be the same product as what an existing company will bring to market.

I've met people involved in start ups, Both means existing companies can expand into their market area, and if you subsequently decide to provide services for one of those companies in the worse case if the embittered broke directors find out the could come after and while a minority have had good ideas the majority of them aren't niche and where the majority fail is on the fact the directors don't market the idea sufficiently.

you.

Ok. so you signed NDA after getting a contract only..??

Their business is my 'expertise' area!!

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    To offer an alternative perspective, NDAs are fine, routine even if you're working on something that's worth protecting. Also, the idea that you always get paid for work done is ludicrous if you're in business on your own account. Over the years, I've spent thousands on bids won and lost, many of those requiring NDAs.).
    My thoughts were on similar lines..

[QUOTE=That being said, I would be wary in the situation described by the OP. I would only ever do this with companies (or owners) that I know from previous work, not "cold callers" (unless they came with a reputation or recommendation).[/QUOTE]

Ok fair point!! - not a bunch I have known before though looks like been in the industry for long time.

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by Rabotnik View Post
    Agree with the others in here, sound like a bunch of chancers. They'll get your expertise to win the contract then get some Indians to do the hard graft for pennies.
    Looks like there guys are bunch of 'serial inventors'!!!....But all the 7/8 companies started so far all closed down!!!

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Sounds like when some clients get you in for an interview to pick your brains and maybe require working examples to a problem they just happen to have, without any intention of progressing to offering a paid contract. Get enough mugs in for 'interviews' and they get the job done for free.

I'd want to know how much time up front they expect for free and if it's significantly more than a typical interview length tell them to do one.
    I might be spending 5 hours max including 2 hours I spend already...not that massive work.

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    If they pay you up front for your work in drawing up the proposal, then no problem with the NDA. If they want you to work for free, explain that you are not a charity.
    New contacts may be helpful in the future..??

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    No time spent on the proposal without being paid.

I don't sign NDAs up front either.

Piss takers.
    Ok...NDA was for not to disclose discussions we had to any third party..

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by rsingh View Post
    Will you be paid for your expertise in the preparation of this proposal?

How long will you have to wait around before knowing if you get any work out of this?

You are still looking around for other roles aren't you?

I might be spending maximum 5 hours on this...No need of any travels so far. No timelines revealed.

Yes I am very much in search mode and that is a Full time job!!

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
    **** them. There are quite a few of those idiots on the market and I always tell them to **** off. I am not going to have an ambulance chaser going after me because someone thinks I "stole" their secrets. The telling sign of trouble is that they are newbies and will think theirs is a unique idea. It probably isn't but they don't want to accept that fact and want to have an option to sue you. If you do, they will have the freedom to go after you if you work for a similar client or do a similar job in the future. And being a consultant in IT every contract will be similar, won't it?
    NDA focused on the term that proposal discussions not to be disclosed, no restriction on working with anyone

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Yes done that, looks like NDAs are very common these days. I was trying to see how many people in CUK spent time on these type of work in the past and what are the chances of getting a gig at the end - If at all any one here managed that..??

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Well you could say no and go back to looking for a gig. Your choice.
    yes that is an option...sitting idle is not my fav time pass activity!

Leave a comment:

• Darren_Test
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    NDA is fine.

Just make sure that if they get the deal you either get a cut or the work!
    That is the problem!!!
    there is no guarantee that they will get the work. In case if they got the job finally, no guarantee that I will get any role!!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X