• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract changes by the agency without notice and agreement"

Collapse

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Must admit, if I was being subjected to a rate cut with no mention from the client, I'd be pulling my hiring manager to one side to confirm it.
    This.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by RonBW View Post
    That's for a judge to decide. In the 1939 case that I referred to earlier, the negotiations were for "30000 skins at 10d per skin" but the contract for "30000 skins at 10d per lb" so there was clearly an obvious mistake.

If the negotiations were for £300 a day and the agent has put £300 an hour in the contract, that's an obvious mistake.
    Psychocandy vs Permatemps Ltd (2015) had a similar situation over £60 / day vs £60 / hour.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Or agency thought that they were going to get an increase, agreed a contract with the contractor based on their presumption, and now want to back out of it.
    Must admit, if I was being subjected to a rate cut with no mention from the client, I'd be pulling my hiring manager to one side to confirm it.

Leave a comment:

• RonBW
    replied
    They won't be, we've covered that bit.

We're speculating on potential reasons for the contractor's rate cut to be forced upon them and they could be, based on what we've discussed so far:
    • Client is operating a rate cut across the board (although these are usually well-communicated when affecting all contractors)
    • Client is paying over the odds because agent's cut is huge (agent taking £200 out of a £500 a day budget for example
    • Agency made a mistake and passed the whole lot on to contractor, simply copying the agreed day rate from client contract to contractor contract.
    Or agency thought that they were going to get an increase, agreed a contract with the contractor based on their presumption, and now want to back out of it.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    The contractor shouldn't be aware of that.

They shouldn't have knowledge of the full contract between the client and agency including payment amounts and terms which is why you don't want to see it.
    They won't be, we've covered that bit.

We're speculating on potential reasons for the contractor's rate cut to be forced upon them and they could be, based on what we've discussed so far:
    • Client is operating a rate cut across the board (although these are usually well-communicated when affecting all contractors)
    • Client is paying over the odds because agent's cut is huge (agent taking £200 out of a £500 a day budget for example
    • Agency made a mistake and passed the whole lot on to contractor, simply copying the agreed day rate from client contract to contractor contract.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    True; there could have been an admin cock-up where someone has realised that the contractor is getting the whole fee and they forgot to knock off the agency cut before passing it on.
    The contractor shouldn't be aware of that.

They shouldn't have knowledge of the full contract between the client and agency including payment amounts and terms which is why you don't want to see it.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    That's for a judge to decide. In the 1939 case that I referred to earlier, the negotiations were for "30000 skins at 10d per skin" but the contract for "30000 skins at 10d per lb" so there was clearly an obvious mistake.

If the negotiations were for £300 a day and the agent has put £300 an hour in the contract, that's an obvious mistake.

If the negotiations were for £300 a day, the agent put £300 a day in the contract, but is now saying "we meant £250 a day" then that's not going to be an obvious mistake.

Judges will use a degree of common sense every now and then.
    True; there could have been an admin cock-up where someone has realised that the contractor is getting the whole fee and they forgot to knock off the agency cut before passing it on.

Leave a comment:

• RonBW
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Define, objectively and unambiguously, "obvious".

If the negotiations were for £300 a day, the agent put £300 a day in the contract, but is now saying "we meant £250 a day" then that's not going to be an obvious mistake.

Judges will use a degree of common sense every now and then.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Judges Ike other lawyers are use to reading complex documents and as this is a B2B contract the OP doesn't get the same leeway as a consumer.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by teapot418 View Post
    I would also add -

Was the mistake an obvious one? e.g. a daily rate being listed as an hourly rate? i.e. did you know it was wrong and think "woohoo", or did you genuinely think the new one was what was intended?

If the mistake was obvious, then the courts would not find the contract binding.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    As you say, it's also the standard way that rate cuts across the board are done - notice served and all contractors reissued with contracts taking them up to the same end date as the original.

If it's an isolated incident, I'd always think that the agency is on a massive margin.
    Very true, and something for the OP to keep in mind.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    One of the many reasons they want to reduce the rate, yes.
    As you say, it's also the standard way that rate cuts across the board are done - notice served and all contractors reissued with contracts taking them up to the same end date as the original.

If it's an isolated incident, I'd always think that the agency is on a massive margin.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    It could be that the client doesn't know what a massive cut the agent is taking.

If the client is paying £500 and the OP (with due respect) is a £300 a day contractor, then the client would no doubt want to reduce the rate.
    One of the many reasons they want to reduce the rate, yes.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    It sounds like the client simply want to reduce the rate paid.

If they want to do this, they are effectively saying "We are terminating your contract. Would you like a new one on a reduced rate?"

This is relatively common mechanism when a client wants to cut a rate.
    It could be that the client doesn't know what a massive cut the agent is taking.

If the client is paying £500 and the OP (with due respect) is a £300 a day contractor, then the client would no doubt want to reduce the rate.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    It sounds like the client simply want to reduce the rate paid.

If they want to do this, they are effectively saying "We are terminating your contract. Would you like a new one on a reduced rate?"

This is relatively common mechanism when a client wants to cut a rate.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X