• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: 30 Days

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "30 Days"

Collapse

• tim123
    replied
    I agree with Lucifer. One of the major things that is responsible for the agency margin is the cost of invoice factoring (real or theoretical).

If they are not doing that factoring, then the margin should be correspondingly lower, which of course, it may be.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    I'm not so sure, boredsenseless. We're talking about a contractor - umbrella - agent relationship here. I agree in contract direct b2b land, months is more usual but one of the functions of the agent is to act as a factor and if they aren't doing this, that is one major reason less to use them.

Leave a comment:

• boredsenseless
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    I belive there is a standard somewhere that states that after 30 days you can start claiming interest on outstanding invoices. Some Agents take this to mean they can earn interest on your cash for 30 days.

Try and barter with them, but if you can survivie without the money for a while, (And if i remember correctly you were OK for another 3 months) I wouldn't worry about i. The positive is that 30 days after your gig finishes you get some money coming in which can be useful if you end up on the bench for a while.
    You can but only if your terms and conditions don't override this.

For instance if you have a 60 day payment term you can't charge interest after 30 days.

anything a month and below is good for payment terms, anyone getting paid earlier than that should count their blessings. I've been doing this for five years now and never been paid earlier than 5 weeks from invoice and that was only because the payroll girl at my client was going on honeymoon so she cleared her backlog.

I usually get paid somewhere between 6 - 12 weeks after invoice. And I think that is okay.

Oh and your "twatty" relationship manager has a point, consistent fast turn around times are more in line with employee contracts than a B2B relationship where 60/90 day terms are more common

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    Thanks everyone.

Yes, sounds like I have to live with it.

The worst part of it was the twatty 'relationship manager' tried to tell me being paid any sooner would risk IR35. PLLLLLLease !

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Thats quite a long time to wait like - but all agencies are different, so I guess you just hav to take it?

I went with Reeds once, and they were brilliant! Got paid weekly - filed invoice online on a monday and was paid on the Friday...ah them were the days!

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I belive there is a standard somewhere that states that after 30 days you can start claiming interest on outstanding invoices. Some Agents take this to mean they can earn interest on your cash for 30 days.

Try and barter with them, but if you can survivie without the money for a while, (And if i remember correctly you were OK for another 3 months) I wouldn't worry about i. The positive is that 30 days after your gig finishes you get some money coming in which can be useful if you end up on the bench for a while.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I thought one of the advantages of an agency was the rapidity of payment when a timesheet was submitted. When I went through agencies it was normally under 1 or 2 weeks.

You should try fixed price on B2B purchase order: on a good day I'm paid within 30 days on a milestone completion. The longest has been 6 months when the client outsourced their accounts to Bangalore. Needless to say, I believe it's coming back to the UK again. (sigh...)

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Its not great but I don't think that it is uncommon.

My current gig is 28 days after invoice. There's no umbrella involved though and the payments usually arrive a few days early.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    started a topic 30 Days

30 Days

Is 30 days from invoice a very long time to wait to be paid (infact it's more than that cause my umbrella takes a week), the agency I'm through admit it's 'unusual' but insist that's it. Their alternative was to leave !

In my previous contract the one man band paid within 14 days...

Working...
X