• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Excruciatingly low contract rates"

Collapse

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    I think I would put this another way:

Any fool can program.
    Few can program well.
    Few if any agents know the difference.
    Muppets rule the market.
    So: there's no percentage in being good.
    Couldn't have put it better myself (apart from your use of the word "percentage", but I get the overall message)...

...the question is, does the entry barrier to something like .NET (ie the need to do quite a lot of studying and practice of the language & framework before you can create anything meaningful) keep the muppets out, and the demand/rate high?

Or would you say your theory applies to most/all of the contract programming world out there? I don't want to go back to support, and don't have 20 years spare to become a SAP consultant

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane
    .... Any grad monkey (like myself, back in my younger and better-looking days) can learn enough php/sql to write a few scripts....
    It takes an individual with considerably more talent and experience to have the full range of HTML/JavaScript/XML/CSS/SQL/3-tier/design patterns/architecture/accessibility talent and experience to create an efficient, reliable, secure, maintainable and usable enterprise web solution that works across multiple browsers....
    I think I would put this another way:

Any fool can program.
    Few can program well.
    Few if any agents know the difference.
    Muppets rule the market.
    So: there's no percentage in being good.

Leave a comment:

• errorista
    replied
    Originally posted by chicane
    Thankfully the majority of my existing skills (those listed above) will be transferrable to the world of ASP.NET, though sadly I'd never manage to persuade either an agency or a client of the value of this claim.

Such is life, eh?
    Thats because ASP.NET is something you use to catch snakes with, innit?

Leave a comment:

• chicane
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet
    To be fair PHP and ASP are not the hardest languages in the world to master.
    Although your sentence is roughly correct, I believe that you're somewhat missing the point. Any grad monkey (like myself, back in my younger and better-looking days) can learn enough php/sql to write a few scripts to add dynamic news item functionality onto a site, repeat this pattern over several pages with subtle variations, and claim mastery of PHP.

It takes an individual with considerably more talent and experience to have the full range of HTML/JavaScript/XML/CSS/SQL/3-tier/design patterns/architecture/accessibility talent and experience to create an efficient, reliable, secure, maintainable and usable enterprise web solution that works across multiple browsers.

Having said all this, it is indeed true that the market dictates the rates, regardless of the ignorance shown by clients with respect to the business value of an experienced developer. It is on this basis that I've made the decision to abandon the world of PHP in favour of the shiny pointy clicky world of ASP.NET 2.0, in which contract work seems to be more plentiful and better paid - at least up here in the Desolate North.

Thankfully the majority of my existing skills (those listed above) will be transferrable to the world of ASP.NET, though sadly I'd never manage to persuade either an agency or a client of the value of this claim.

Such is life, eh?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by scriptfromscratch
    marky, we go way back!
    I'll take that as a not somebody i know then

Leave a comment:

• scriptfromscratch
    replied
    marky, we go way back!

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    jesus mark that's awful
    Lots of things in life are awful, doesn't stop them from happening though

And somebody I know, or somebody that has just grabbed my name from one of the many easy to find resources linked to my forum name?

Leave a comment:

• scriptfromscratch
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco

It is a dead human (Normally elderly woman aparently) who has been preserved so that medical students can practice cutting up a dead one before they get onto a live one. There is a good chance that various parts of it will go missing and end up on the tube at some point as well
    jesus mark that's awful

Leave a comment:

• To BI or not to BI?
    replied
    also in http://www.googlism.com/what_is/c/cadavar/

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by To BI or not to BI?
    you mean cadaver
    Nope i mean Cadavar, although cadaver is an acceptible variation.

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Cadavar

Leave a comment:

• To BI or not to BI?
    replied
    only if they have been dead long enough

Leave a comment:

• To BI or not to BI?
    replied
    you mean cadaver

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied

It is a dead human (Normally elderly woman aparently) who has been preserved so that medical students can practice cutting up a dead one before they get onto a live one. There is a good chance that various parts of it will go missing and end up on the tube at some point as well

Leave a comment:

• To BI or not to BI?
    replied
    whats a cadavar?
    Computer Assisted Designed caviar

Leave a comment:

• scriptfromscratch
    replied
    whats a cadavar?

Leave a comment:

Working...