• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Photo on your CV?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Photo on your CV?"

Collapse

• Eirikur
    replied
    I'm hiring Indians in India to bring them on shore for 6 months or so.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Was that an instruction ("treat people as equals") or an assumption ("we aren't in India and so we treat people as equals")?
    If you hire the Indians then it's an instruction.

If you don't then it's an assumption which is false some of the time.

Leave a comment:

• CloudWalker
    replied
    Photos on C.V = Can of Worms
    Last edited by CloudWalker; 28 January 2016, 15:17.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    We aren't in India and so treat people as equals.
    Was that an instruction ("treat people as equals") or an assumption ("we aren't in India and so we treat people as equals")?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
    2) He's got a photo of himself. I've always thought that's dangerous unless you are young and good looking.

What are your thoughts?
    I was at a presentation from an executive headhunter yesterday, and his advice was always to have a professional looking picture on LinkedIn, never have one on your CV.

For those that haven't worked it out yet, LinkedIn profile with no picture = fake. LinkedIn profile with sexy picture = very fake.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Got a few Indian CV's on my desk
    They all mention star sign, secondary star sign and caste, which ones should I avoid?. Need an expert on Indian astrology and caste system to make a logical and scientific decision.
    Google their caste then pick the lowest ones and only one from a high one.

Then if you find the person from the high one picking on or bossing around the others, have strong words.

We aren't in India and so treat people as equals.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Deutsche Telekom and Bouygues respectively in my case, and every CV had a photo, but hiring was done by IBM in both cases so perhaps it was they who insisted.

But I did once interview with an SSII in Paris where I had submitted a CV without a photo, and it wasn't binned - but the agent pulled out a camera and took a photo without a by-your-leave.
    Hiring manager could be fired at DTAG for considering a CV with photo. Laws in Germany are quite strong on discrimination. Germans have a longer memory, combined with unnecessary guilt than any other EU.country.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    They all mention star sign, secondary star sign and caste, which ones should I avoid?. Need an expert on Indian astrology and caste system to make a logical and scientific decision.
    I think Brahmins are the top dogs in the caste system...

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Everyone knows blood type is the true indicator of character. Bin the ones that don't have that.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    All the ones mentioning star sign

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by Boo View Post
    IMHO it's better to have several CVs, each tailored to a specific field of expertise and drop the irrelevant roles from each CV rather than just to drop the oldest roles from a single CV.

This does mean that you will have to leave off dates and wrestle the agent into submission on that point though, which is a PITA, admittedly.

Boo
    My work history for nearly twenty years is fairly consistent. The pain in the ass part is my current gig which is outside my area and is unlikely to be much use in getting me another gig outside of saying "look ma, I had a contract gig!" and it was for another financial services institution. I can't see leaving it off though...sigh.

Leave a comment:

• Boo
    replied
    Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    My format has worked okay thus far, but contracting will make it completely unworkable in time. I'll probably start dropping the historical stuff after awhile to keep it brief.
    IMHO it's better to have several CVs, each tailored to a specific field of expertise and drop the irrelevant roles from each CV rather than just to drop the oldest roles from a single CV.

This does mean that you will have to leave off dates and wrestle the agent into submission on that point though, which is a PITA, admittedly.

Boo

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Deutsche Telekom and Bouygues respectively in my case, and every CV had a photo, but hiring was done by IBM in both cases so perhaps it was they who insisted.

But I did once interview with an SSII in Paris where I had submitted a CV without a photo, and it wasn't binned - but the agent pulled out a camera and took a photo without a by-your-leave.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    Spain it's the norm. As a multinational we have to return CVs to agency with photos according to corporate policy, but this is exceptional for this territory. Spanish companies or Spanish managers in a multinational see them as mandatory.

I suspect the CVs are not returned, and HR are binning them, as I see very few Spanish candidates. Either that or all the good ones are working in Germany or the UK.

I have worked for every Telco in Germany and this is not my experience hiring or applying. Maybe different customs in different industries.

As above for one Telco in France. The big one.
    I work for Telco and they never asked me for a photo. In Spain I don't know because I never applied.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X