• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Write an essay, rewrite your CV, meet me in person, do a coding test before I send CV"

Collapse

• Pogle
    replied
    Originally posted by Relaxed View Post
    Apart from two references agents also like to ask for one of more of:
    1. Writing an essay why are you the best candidate for this role
    2. Rewrite your CV for certain spec
    3. Meet them me in person for a chat
    4. Do a coding test
    ... before they send CV to a client.
    While this proves the existence of the advertised role, is this usually a good investment of time?
    Do you do normally agree to do anything of the above?
    1. Not really, I have highlighted a few points, but not an essay.
    2. Nope, I work in a smallish area and my CV is totally geared towards that.
    3. I will do this after I've got the contract to sign papers and be bought lunch. Did it once as a newbie about 9 years ago and have turned down any requests since.
    4. I expect I'd say no, but depends on the role.

Leave a comment:

• DallasDad
    replied
    Write an essay, rewrite your CV, meet me in person, do a coding test before I...

Here is an example of a coding test for a current (albeit permie) vacancy that I came across recently.

W we.idonix.com/careers/software-developer]IDONIX > Real-time graphics for broadcast, live events and the web

Is this sort of thing becoming more common now then?

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    I wouldn't entertain this nonsense. It is a waste of valuable time that could be used to search for contracts that are less hassle. CV should get you an Interview, Interview should get you the job. I am not even convinced of the merits of coding tests.

(Now I remember, I was asked to give a powerpoint presentation to a client as to why I should get the role. I was just arount the corner and thought "hell why not", I had no intention of taking the role and the agent was a dick.

By the time I got to the "Stop your Jibber Jabber" slide, I and the agent were ejected from the office.

I had managed to get through 22 paqges of complete tulip like below. People were staring at me in wide eyed amazement. Fun days.)

Last edited by clearedforlanding; 28 December 2015, 09:46.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    An essay? WTF is this? End of term exams in 3rd year of senior school?

Absolutely not. I'd promptly tell the agent to foxtrot oscar and then suggest that I'd do it just as soon as they write me an essay explaining why they're the best recruitment agency to represent me to the client!

Leave a comment:

• BigRed
    replied
    I think the Agents are bored around Christmas and have a competition to see who can get a contractor to jump through the most hoops.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    4. Do a coding test
    While this proves the existence of the advertised role, is this usually a good investment of time?
    1. Covering letter, two paragraphs, standard no problem
    2. Every CV submitted should be tailored to the role, thats why I say without a role profile I can't submit a CV
    3. Never done, never will
    4. Not a code monkey so not relevant

Leave a comment:

• DieScum
    replied
    I'm based in Australia now and most agents try and do a face to face meeting before sending you through for interview. It's a huge waste of time and absolutely infuriating. Just seems to be standard practice here.

When I'm sitting pretty I refuse, when it looks like they have something worth my time I go for it.

It's actually a weird situation. It's kind of got the feel of an interview but you know it's just some sap trying to suss you out and work out whether you'll be the one to make them the commission. So they're feeding you tips on how to behave at the interview, most of which are laughable (thanks mate, this is actually my profession, I do this a fair bit), as well as deciding whether to even put you forward based on their minimal understanding of the role.

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenBastard
    replied
    4. Do a coding test
    1) No
    2) Yes, accurate adjustments to highlight certain technologies for example, no lies you could get caught out on tho!
    3) No, did this once, utter waste of time, plus agents are typically chalk and cheese with software engineers so it was pretty painful for me and of no value
    4) Yes, if the test is a "concept" and not an "implementation" (read: free work)

Having said all that, I'd only consider doing 2) before the C.V. is sent to a client. 4) is done if the client likes the general cut of your jib (i.e. C.V. looks good).

Leave a comment:

• Draco
    replied
    It's all worth trying for the experience.

1. Done for a permie role a while ago which I didn't get.
    2. Tried once, did not get the role. Also tried 2 different CVs. Now it's 1 CV only.
    3. Met up several times: after interview, after getting the job, mid-contract, mid-contract. I completely ignore my current agent, he was playing mind tricks on me!
    4. Got 1/3 permie roles through that. 0/4 contracts that I tried tests for.

Overall zero gain.
    Last edited by Draco; 24 December 2015, 08:34.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    4. Do a coding test
    Of those four, I've only ever been asked for number two - needed to highlight even more of the niche skills that the client were after. I'd mentioned them in passing, but the client wanted to see even more about the skill.

The rest are pointless.

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    1. No.
    2. Focus the CV towards the contract but no rewrite
    3. No
    4. Had a couple of companies try to get some free actual work done via 'tests'. That said will do short tests that are obviously not directly related to work once the CV has been put forward.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    4. Do a coding test
    1. Never
    2. Minor edits to c.v., not usually a problem.
    3. Never
    4. £1000/day + VAT. Invoice payable before the testing starts. Paid invoice is completely non-refundable. (NB. A Client or Agent may book as many days of testing time as they deem necessary.)

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    I tend to agree here. Previously, I've done a pre-interview coding test that wasn't the usual multiple-choice noddy questions, but rather was the presentation of a fairly small but interesting problem (usually something similar to a Coding Kata style problem) for which I'm asked to code up a solution which is emailed to the client in advance of an interview.

My code then forms part of a discussion, at interview, around my approach to the problem, how other approaches may (or may not) work, how it could be improved given some new requirement etc. etc.

Since there's no right or wrong solution to the initial problem, it's a good way to "talk shop" at interview stage and, IMHO, benefits both the client and the interviewee.

That said, I'd not do this for an agent unless my CV had already been forwarded, I'd been introduced to the client and the client had at least shown an interest in progressing with me.
    Oh, absolutely not for the agent!

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    My mother always said someone loves you the way you are or not atall. I think she meant girls - but she could have been talking about recruitment agents.....

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    I'd disagree on that actually.

In my recent experience, places that have a coding test up front are highly likely to include coding tests at the in person interview as well.

The one pre-in-person is usually just an extra level of filtering.

They are obviously not infallible and can be gamed, but I wouldn't discount them as you suggest.

Just my tuppence.
    I tend to agree here. Previously, I've done a pre-interview coding test that wasn't the usual multiple-choice noddy questions, but rather was the presentation of a fairly small but interesting problem (usually something similar to a Coding Kata style problem) for which I'm asked to code up a solution which is emailed to the client in advance of an interview.

My code then forms part of a discussion, at interview, around my approach to the problem, how other approaches may (or may not) work, how it could be improved given some new requirement etc. etc.

Since there's no right or wrong solution to the initial problem, it's a good way to "talk shop" at interview stage and, IMHO, benefits both the client and the interviewee.

That said, I'd not do this for an agent unless my CV had already been forwarded, I'd been introduced to the client and the client had at least shown an interest in progressing with me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X