• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "References before interview??"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    The MSB? "Great?" Are you sure?

Good point Tim, but there must be a fair few contractors (or ex-contractors) out there who have been stitched up by the S3 mob and who are now in positions where they need to hire contractors (I'm occasionally one of them). I have a preferred agency I deal with, but if I didn't S3 would be way down the list (and probably off it altogether).

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    Gotta agree with you Tim.

The chap I was dealing with at MSB was great. Actually came and bought coffee for me on a number of occassions (I cannot be bribed, but I can be pursuaded ).

Because we had an actual business relationship Id throw bits and pieces his way when I caught wind of it.

However some other f9ckers who tried to do me out of several thousand pounds and then wondered why I never passed them any info...they were a different story altogether!

Mailman

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac
    There are other ways of generating new business leads which don't involve stitching up contractors and spamming their referees. If individual agents were a bit more co-operative, transparent and honest, they might just find this information supplied willingly and for free, say over a pint. ?
    Yep, I once worked at a site for two years. During that time the client had multiple other requirements for contractors. My guy didn't get a look in simply because he made no attempt to keep in touch with me, or the manager. How hard is it?

I've been in the position where the "preferred" agency can't fill an urgent requirement. Where do you think I'd prefer to send that business? S3, or an agency which treats its contractors with a bit of respect?
    I think that you will find you are in a very small minority of people who can influence this decision, who know the difference.

tim

Leave a comment:

• Solid
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    What they generate by this is leads for their sales. They do not generate the contracts. Without this fishing there would still be contracts.
    But if they make a sale, then someone somewhere got a contract. This is a good thing for both parties right?

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Solid
    you also need to understand that recruiters need new names and contacts to speak to in order to generate new business opportunities. Without these there are no new roles to offer, no contracts to take, etc.
    What they generate by this is leads for their sales. They do not generate the contracts. Without this fishing there would still be contracts.

Leave a comment:

• Solid
    replied
    There are other ways of generating new business leads which don't involve stitching up contractors and spamming their referees. If individual agents were a bit more co-operative, transparent and honest, they might just find this information supplied willingly and for free, say over a pint.
    I've been in the position where the "preferred" agency can't fill an urgent requirement. Where do you think I'd prefer to send that business? S3, or an agency which treats its contractors with a bit of respect?
    Couldn't agree more Mordac.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Solid
    However, you also need to understand that recruiters need new names and contacts to speak to in order to generate new business opportunities. Without these there are no new roles to offer, no contracts to take, etc.
    There are other ways of generating new business leads which don't involve stitching up contractors and spamming their referees. If individual agents were a bit more co-operative, transparent and honest, they might just find this information supplied willingly and for free, say over a pint.

Leave a comment:

• Solid
    replied
    References before interview??

Hi t0bytoo

The whole reference point thing is a double edged sword.

The truth is that in most cases the agencies terms will state that it is the clients responsibility to take up satisfactory references. So I would agree with earlier comments that this person is fishing for names.

However, you also need to understand that recruiters need new names and contacts to speak to in order to generate new business opportunities. Without these there are no new roles to offer, no contracts to take, etc.

I agree with others. Tell them you will provide references directly to the client.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by padinka
    Have a look around this site - search for 'S3' and / or 'Pathway'. Just how many positive comments do you see? Would you like to comment about why S3 has such a reputation?
    Would that they cared. They are cowboys, and as long as there is a steady stream of innocent (& ignorant) newcomers to contracting, they'll always be able to find candidates. Most people probably don't realise that when they get stitched up by Regressive, they'll get the same treatment from Pathway and the rest, since S3 wisely don't publicise the parenthood of their subsidiaries, except in their annual accounts. They're probably laughing at this thread, while they celebrate stitching up another gullible candidate.

Leave a comment:

• padinka
    replied
    Hey a45...

Have a look around this site - search for 'S3' and / or 'Pathway'. Just how many positive comments do you see? Would you like to comment about why S3 has such a reputation?

Leave a comment:

• ratewhore
    replied
    I assume that a45 is the agent in question and he is posting in his role as the agent. Therefore, the post is representative of Pathway policy and attitude.

Stick that in the letter you write to the Chief Exec.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Aww bless. Can anybody hear the distant sounds of an agents toys being lobbed out of their pram. Funny how it is ok for an agent to do the dirty on a contractor but not ok for the contractor to not play ball.

I suspect this chap will go far in the recruitment industry.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by a45
    Having not worked with you before and having got you an interview at a high profile financial client, why would I then stick my reputation on the line for someon who's cv didn't ring true with the rates they were paying and you wouldn't commit to taking the job.

Also it is worth noting when you registered for this site it was July 2005. Why register for a contracor UK website when you have been living in NY from 2004 upto 2006 (dates on your cv) . After 4 years in the job this is only one of a handfull of times I have pulled someone from an interview.

If you have been out of the country for two years I wouldn't be doing my job properly unless I aksed for a technical reference.
    You only have yourself to blame, as an organisation, if contractors are reluctant to divulge their referees. Remember that some of us have been referees for fellow contractors ourselves, and when we get flamed by your barrow-boy salesmen we start to appreciate how our previous PMs must feel, and it explains why so many are relucatant to give references at all.
    You mention 2 things which interest me:

"Why register for a contracor UK website when you have been living in NY from 2004 upto 2006 (dates on your cv)"

If you need to ask an idiot question like that, then you really don't understand proper contracting. Not that that's surprising, if you've been at Pathway for the last 4 years.

"why would I then stick my reputation on the line"

You might value your "reputation" but I doubt too many on here would.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Ah one of those agents that seems to think that by attempting to belittle somebody they will work for him. I would guess you haven't been out of school long....

Leave a comment:

• t0bytoo
    replied
    Originally posted by a45
    you wouldn't commit to taking the job
    How can I commit to taking a job before meeting the people I'd be working for? Sounds a bit silly to make a blind commitment like that.

Originally posted by a45
    Also it is worth noting when you registered for this site it was July 2005. Why register for a contracor UK website when you have been living in NY from 2004 upto 2006 (dates on your cv) .
    Can you see anyone else who registered before July 2005? Why might that be?
    I've been lurking here for years. And killing time is what contractors do best.

Originally posted by a45
    After 4 years in the job this is only one of a handfull of times I have pulled someone from an interview.
    That's not true. I pulled myself from the interview. You were shouting pretty loudly at the time. Maybe you didn't hear.

Please don't phone me again. You're a nasty piece of work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X