• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Moving back to the UK"

Collapse

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by jjdarg View Post
    The above could also apply if you are a green card holder. If you get rid of your green card, however, then it does not apply (as I understand it).
    In principle, you abandon your GC when moving abroad permanently (and under other circumstances, such as staying abroad for more than 6 months or failing to file a tax return...):

Maintaining Permanent Residence | USCIS

Leave a comment:

• jjdarg
    replied
    The above could also apply if you are a green card holder. If you get rid of your green card, however, then it does not apply (as I understand it).

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by cogioia View Post
    UK citizen.
    OK, I ask because US Citizens are taxed on their worldwide income, regardless of residency status, and taxation of unearned income, as well as being a director of a Controlled Foreign Corporation, creates no-end of headaches. For the current US tax year (ordinarily ending 31 December 2015), you may be able to file a dual status return (effectively ending when you left the US) and make a clean break. Otherwise, you'll have some of the above headaches this year, but not subsequent years. Either way, you may want to seek advice, as cross-border tax is a PITA, especially with the new FATCA requirements.

Leave a comment:

• cogioia
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Are you a US Citizen?
    UK citizen.

Leave a comment:

• cogioia
    replied
    Originally posted by flipFlop View Post
    Caro Angelo, my advice would be to stay where you are.
    I'm going back to take care of my sick mother and not for my love of the British. Try posting smarter instead of faster. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I am moving back London in a few weeks after having worked in the US for 17 years as a enterprise level Microsoft developer (currently working at Visa Inc- C#, VB.Net, Asp.net, SQL Server etc.)

I want to get into a contract soon after arriving. I would like some advice/tips as I have been out of the market for so long.
    Good luck - you have very little relevant experience, so be prepared for a battle with recruiters just to get them to even consider putting your CV over to the client.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied
    Which recruiters would be the best to contact?
    How healthy is the market i.e would I have any problems finding work in London?
    What is the normal salary range for a senior .Net developer?
    In the .Net arena, which technical skills are a must have?
    All that offer roles suitable to your skill set
    If you are good you shouldn't have much problem finding work, a quick search in the popular job sites can give you an idea of the current volume
    For a contractor - approximately 10k, for permie, who knows
    You are a senior .NET developer with 17 years of experience and you ask us what the must have skills are???

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Are you a US Citizen?

Leave a comment:

• flipFlop
    replied
    I am moving back London in a few weeks after having worked in the US for 17 years... I want to get into a contract soon after arriving. I would like some advice/tips as I have been out of the market for so long.
    Angelo
    Caro Angelo, my advice would be to stay where you are.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    If you're after a salary, then you're in the wrong place.

If you're after advice on finding a contract, then have a look at the threads about which jobs boards to use and go from there to see if there is anything that fits your skillset.

Leave a comment:

• cogioia
    started a topic Moving back to the UK

Moving back to the UK

Hello All,

I am moving back London in a few weeks after having worked in the US for 17 years as a enterprise level Microsoft developer (currently working at Visa Inc- C#, VB.Net, Asp.net, SQL Server etc.)

I want to get into a contract soon after arriving. I would like some advice/tips as I have been out of the market for so long.

Which recruiters would be the best to contact?
    How healthy is the market i.e would I have any problems finding work in London?
    What is the normal salary range for a senior .Net developer?
    In the .Net arena, which technical skills are a must have?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Angelo

Working...
X