• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contract Termination, is it better if the client does it or me?"

Collapse

• unixman
    replied
    I would probably inform the agent first, and discuss with them, and make sure they inform the client very soon after. Your contract is with the agency, and they pay you, so they should be the first to know.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by DizzyPotato View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I have been offered. It is an offer from previous clients to come back for a new project, so they didn't bother with an interview.

Would I give the notice in to the end client? Or to the recruitment agency (or pimp as it seems to be called here!)?

The contract seems to be with the recruitment agency, so I figure it would be them, so should I expect them to inform the end client?
    I presume you are a first time contractor, but your posts say otherwise.

Nevertheless, agree a notice period with the client first. Once you both are happy, inform the agent.

Leave a comment:

• DizzyPotato
    replied
    Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Hi OP, you can *apply* for contracts any time. Applying does not mean you are going to be offered the role.
    I have been offered. It is an offer from previous clients to come back for a new project, so they didn't bother with an interview.

Would I give the notice in to the end client? Or to the recruitment agency (or pimp as it seems to be called here!)?

The contract seems to be with the recruitment agency, so I figure it would be them, so should I expect them to inform the end client?

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Hi OP, you can *apply* for contracts any time. Applying does not mean you are going to be offered the role.

If you offered an attractive contract, just tell your current client you are leaving for <some reason>, then agree an end date agreeable to both parties. Contract notice periods are pretty short (eg. 2 weeks), so working your notice is unlikely to be a problem for your old or new clients.

Be very nice about all this to your current client. Rather then tell them you are leaving because you don't feel secure, perhaps just say you want to be nearer home or something.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by JRCT View Post
    Personally, I would apply for other roles as if you knew your current one was ending. Then, once you've secured an offer go to your current PM and offer to help him out by leaving.

Everyone's a winner.
    The only issue I can see here is if the OP agrees a starting date at the new Clientco without speaking to the current clientco's PM first. There is a possibility that the PM might ask the OP to serve his full notice period to train the replacement, and the full notice period could very well jeopardise the OP's chances at the new gig.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by JRCT View Post
    Personally, I would apply for other roles as if you knew your current one was ending. Then, once you've secured an offer go to your current PM and offer to help him out by leaving.

Everyone's a winner.
    This.

They may be happy to reduce or forget any notice period too.

Leave a comment:

• JRCT
    replied

Everyone's a winner.

Leave a comment:

• Willapp
    replied
    Why not have an honest chat with the PM and raise your concerns? Remember you're a business and acting professionally is key: speak to them and say that you suspect they may not need you to see out the entirety of your contract. If they agree then discuss how you can ensure a suitable handover while seeking another contract and be allowed to terminate your agreement early when you find something.

Realistically they aren't going to be angry about it if there's a 90% chance they want you gone anyway, you just need to make sure you don't drop it on them out of nowhere and provide an adequate handover.

Leave a comment:

• AMH
    replied
    If there is a role elsewhere & your role is not secure, why not make the choice for them?
    They may be thankful for it.

I was in a similar position a few years ago, where I had a month or so left on my contract, but my work was effectively finished.

They was happy for me to come in every day & do nothing rather than pay up the remaining 6 weeks on my contract (was for a council).

I had a chat with the ProjMan & we agreed early termination if a role came up and allow flexibility for me to attend interviews.
    Luckily a perferct role came up for me within a week. If I had waited & sat out the time remaing, I would have missed out on that role.

Leave a comment:

• jjdarg
    replied
    Been here before, myself. As you are training up the permie, then I would jump ship if there is another role available elsewhere - observing, of course any notice periods, or allowing enough time to train up the permie before you go; I've given more than my notice period once or twice to allow for those sorts of things in the past.

For most roles that I have had, handover is usually good for a week or two, then a new optempo kicks in with new group chemistry and dynamics anyway. I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

Leave a comment:

• Contract Termination, is it better if the client does it or me?

I'm six months into a 12 month contract. The project management seems to be quite a mess, and it has gone WAY over budget.

Now, because of this the project will either get dropped all together, or they will be making some hard choices and cutting where they can to bring the cost down a bit.

Over the last few weeks, I have got some hints that it is possible they might be considering terminating my contract to save some monies.

I don't know when this will happen, it could be in the next two weeks, or in the next two months, but I'm 90% sure it will happen as at this point in the project, my initial work is done, and I'm here more to provide support and to train up my "full time replacement" who is already here.

Now, I have been getting quite a few direct calls from previous clients and contacts for projects which seem very interesting to me, but as I'm in a contract already I'm a little stuck.

So, knowing this I was wondering, as they are most likely going to terminate my contract anyway, would be better to wait it out and let them do it, or to just hand in my notice so I can apply for a new position?

Working...
X