• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Issues with team leader on client site"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
    What has bothered me of late is that she has asked the new dev (he's from her consultancy) to be her replacement on days she's not in (holidays / she's off every Friday). I know she asked him and not me because, as I said, he's her 'yes' man and never questions her, goes to lunch with her etc. I know I'm much better at my job but the fact she overlooked me and asked a complete newbie is annoying. I find it hard to answer his questions when she's not in because I know he's not as good as me.

I need to learn to not let that bother me too.
    See what I bolded? That how it works.

And answer his questions in the way you answer hers. If you seem obstructive you won't get that renewal.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied

I need to learn to not let anything bother me.
    Indeed, stay cool.

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    What has bothered me of late is that she has asked the new dev (he's from her consultancy) to be her replacement on days she's not in (holidays / she's off every Friday). I know she asked him and not me because, as I said, he's her 'yes' man and never questions her, goes to lunch with her etc. I know I'm much better at my job but the fact she overlooked me and asked a complete newbie is annoying. I find it hard to answer his questions when she's not in because I know he's not as good as me.

I need to learn to not let that bother me too.
    Last edited by heyya99; 3 August 2014, 20:28.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    Stay calm and professional - never bite. Blaggers" like this bint always get busted in time.
    She will just get moved on by her consultancy after they have completely screwed up the contract.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Stay calm and professional - never bite. Blaggers" like this bint always get busted in time.

Never bite ever. Put your invoice in and smile

Leave a comment:

• SussexSeagull
    replied
    It sounds to me as if you are going a bit native here. Do your job to the best of your ability, make suggestions where appropriate but don't get upset if they aren't taken on board.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    What do you mean? You mean make her feel good about her performance? I'm pretty sure she has no inout into any renewal. <snip>
    Do you remember that permie advice about not p*ssing of the receptionist? This is similar.

And you can complement her on anything. I mean she must do something average....

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Did you compliment her on something very trivial? If not that's a failure and you are risking your renewal.
    What do you mean? You mean make her feel good about her performance? I'm pretty sure she has no inout into any renewal. I have been there 1 year longer than her and have proved my ability. I have gotten on very well with every other person in the office, which made the issues with her all the more frustrating. It was as if she was the one coming in rocking the boat.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    At the end of our sprint review/demo, the team leader came over to me and, surprisingly, thanked me for my good work in this sprint. She said I spoke very well in the demo (I described my contribution) and that I 'was like a different person' - I don't know if she was referring to the demo or sprint in general. I thanked her for her comment and said it's nice to hear.

The only bit I bit I cared about was the speaking well in demo bit. She is obviously happy about my performance in the sprint (I delivered > 50% of the stories) because I shut my mouth and did what she said. I kind of miss the arguments. Doing what I'm told and not not much more is boring.
    Did you compliment her on something very trivial? If not that's a failure and you are risking your renewal.

I've learned a lot about the work environment in the last few days. I am not happy about it, but I am not able to deal with issues better. I've let her incompetence wash over me and tried to see things from her point of view. I hate the fact that good work is not enough to get you anywhere these days and that 'politics' is necessary.
    It never was unless you worked completely alone........

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied
    Yep, it can be difficult accepting that we are often not paid to think, just churn it out.

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    At the end of our sprint review/demo, the team leader came over to me and, surprisingly, thanked me for my good work in this sprint. She said I spoke very well in the demo (I described my contribution) and that I 'was like a different person' - I don't know if she was referring to the demo or sprint in general. I thanked her for her comment and said it's nice to hear.

The only bit I bit I cared about was the speaking well in demo bit. She is obviously happy about my performance in the sprint (I delivered > 50% of the stories) because I shut my mouth and did what she said. I kind of miss the arguments. Doing what I'm told and not not much more is boring.

I've learned a lot about the work environment in the last few days. I am not happy about it, but I am not able to deal with issues better. I've let her incompetence wash over me and tried to see things from her point of view. I hate the fact that good work is not enough to get you anywhere these days and that 'politics' is necessary. But definitely, my work life has been made a lot easier.

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Time for a new gig...

Though at some clients' someone has purposely used an egg timer to get people to STFU.
    Is it even possible to use an egg timer accidentally?

Yes, good idea though. I hate agile with a vengeance.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I've never once been to a stand up where this wasn't the case. I have actually walked away from stand ups in my current gig.
    Time for a new gig...

Though at some clients' someone has purposely used an egg timer to get people to STFU.

Leave a comment:

• heyya99
    replied
    Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    everyone spoke ad nauseum about what they'd done despite next to no one giving a flying tuck.

I've never once been to a stand up where this wasn't the case. I have actually walked away from stand ups in my current gig.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
    Agile projects are great, aren't they? People missing the big picture as they fight to claim points; requirements changing at the last moment with a shrug "Well, it's an Agile project, innit?". Daily scrums where (maybe this was just the ones I have been on - all at same company) everyone spoke ad nauseum about what they'd done despite next to no one giving a flying tuck.
    Time to move company......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X