• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Brexit expat retirees 'may cost NHS millions'"

Collapse

• InsertWittyNameHere555
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    That's assuming Brexit stops anybody arriving from the EU.
    Might not stop them arriving, but will stop the NHS having to pay for their non-emergency treatment

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Young healthy Europeans to leave the UK in exchange for non-working OAPs in need of health care. £350 million a week ought to cover it.
    How long before you fall into that category?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    So not:

only for elderly.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Well in the UK they are unlikely to be chased up so why should they worry?
    From where I'm standing it's not so certain, especially how fiercefully you were fighting for that topic to be able to strip us out of laws. Albeit difficult to make my life miserable now.
    Last edited by diseasex; 31 May 2017, 15:38.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Wonder if any Portuguese or polish contractors are working here not paying NI and hoping an EHIC card is enough...
    Well in the UK they are unlikely to be chased up so why should they worry?

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Wonder if any Portuguese or polish contractors are working here not paying NI and hoping an EHIC card is enough...
    excuse me? I'm paying thousands of tax each year including NI.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    WHS. By definition an expat is there permanently and therefore isn't covered. But retired UK expats are covered, at least mostly, by the UK state (as much as a local would be), but if you're working age you'll have to have full insurance one way or other. The government could promise to keep doing that now without any change to any agreement with anyone else; they're simply guaranteeing health care for British citizens who've paid for it with taxes for decades. But they won't.
    Yes, it's all a bit iffy especially with duel residency. To be on the safe side I pay extra insurance which is only £20pm.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Only for visitors. As soon as you are resident (after 90 days or when you become a worker or student or self-sufficient) you fall into the local system an pay either by deductions per NI in UK or by deductions, pay at the door and private cover like here in Ireland!

EHIC is not for full cover when not visiting.
    WHS. By definition an expat is there permanently and therefore isn't covered. But retired UK expats are covered, at least mostly, by the UK state (as much as a local would be), but if you're working age you'll have to have full insurance one way or other. The government could promise to keep doing that now without any change to any agreement with anyone else; they're simply guaranteeing health care for British citizens who've paid for it with taxes for decades. But they won't.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    If you are a European citizen you can have the European health card, if you travel to another EU country the hospital claims the costs from traveller's country.

Switzerland is not from EU but has a bilateral agreement with some countries and you can use your Health card if you travel to Switzerland.
    Only for visitors. As soon as you are resident (after 90 days or when you become a worker or student or self-sufficient) you fall into the local system an pay either by deductions per NI in UK or by deductions, pay at the door and private cover like here in Ireland!

EHIC is not for full cover when not visiting.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    My understanding is if an expat in Spain uses their medical services then the Spanish hospital claims the cost back from the UK.

I'm not sure of other countries arrangements but seems like we still pay for expats now.
    If you are a European citizen you can have the European health card, if you travel to another EU country the hospital claims the costs from traveller's country.

Switzerland is not from EU but has a bilateral agreement with some countries and you can use your Health card if you travel to Switzerland.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    You are saying that Medicare, Medicaid and Veterans Health are only for the elderly. Which is incorrect.
    Medicare provides health insurance for Americans aged 65 and older who have worked and paid into the system through the payroll tax. It also provides health insurance to younger people with some disabilities status as determined by the Social Security Administration, as well as people with end stage renal disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
    Medicaid in the United States is a social health care program for families and individuals with limited resources

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Nope. I'm just telling you your chart about healthcare spending per capita is full of crap.
    You are saying that Medicare, Medicaid and Veterans Health are only for the elderly. Which is incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    You are still ignorant.
    Nope. I'm just telling you your chart about healthcare spending per capita is full of crap.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    it's only for elderly. I doubt it's that much as your chats showing per capita.
    You are still ignorant.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X