• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: 40% Tax Rate

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "40% Tax Rate"

Collapse

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    Originally posted by aardvark View Post
    It should come out in the wash. On the plus side, there will be a month where you pay much less tax!
    Yep, that.

Try and get it corrected ASAP, probably a phone call to HMRC if you can bear the tedium of waiting in the queue is best.

Make sure your umbrella or someone else do a annual review of your tax after tax year, and possible a self assessment return; that will make sure everything is accounted for.

Leave a comment:

• aardvark
    replied
    It should come out in the wash. On the plus side, there will be a month where you pay much less tax!

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Did your umbrella company not ask for your P45? How long have you been employed by them?

If the D0 coding notice has been issued as a result of HMRC thinking that your employment with the umbrella company is a second job then they must have had some sort of communication from your umbrella company e.g. a P46

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    As above - you're being taxed as if this was a second job and your basic rate allowance is being used elsewhere. When HMRC process your P45 they should realise this is your only employment as then give you a normal tax code. You can always call them to make sure.

Leave a comment:

• gbonner
    replied
    Same happened to me when I first joined an umbrella. I think you get the D0 code as your earnings to date are above the basic rate threshold. Once you send your p45 to your umbrella they will change your tax code and your income tax should be adjusted in your next pay.

Leave a comment:

• MB1983
    started a topic 40% Tax Rate

40% Tax Rate

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I'm new to the world of contracting. I'm currently in a two month contract and working through an umbrella company initially. Since receiving pay for the first month, I have received notification from HMRC that my tax code is now D0 and that I'll pay tax at 40% on my income. From what I've read online, it appears that they'll be taking 40% on all income, not just the amount over allowance + higher-rate threshold. So it seems that they'd be taking more tax than I should pay and that the onus will be on me to apply for a rebate at the end of the tax year if I want that money back. Is that the way they typically operate or could they have made a mistake? Would a permanent employee on, say, £50k be on the tax code D0?

Working...
X