• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Boox Accountants - how unprofessional"

Collapse

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Nope they don't know my mother's maiden name as I don't use that name when it's asked for unless you are a relevant UK government official.
    Good for you SueEllen. My point is there are many unique indentifiers attaching to each individual and almost all of them will lead to other identifiers so nobody in business should assume they are concealed from view.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Taita View Post
    I have known 'friends' who pass on a name or two to a favoured accountant/agent etc.

Seriously though, I am astonished that anybody in business should believe that their identity (personal as well as a corporate) is as secret as Coca Cola's formula! Think about it....all the world and their dogs know your birthday and your mother's maiden name!
    Nope they don't know my mother's maiden name as I don't use that name when it's asked for unless you are a relevant UK government official.

Leave a comment:

• Taita
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    I received an unsolicited phone call from Boox saying that they knew I was using Nixon Williams and that they could offer the same for less cash.

I have used NW for over 6 years and am very happy with them, however Boox must be desperate to be scratching about to call clients of competitors.

Not sure how they got my details, nor how they knew I was using NW, but I never appreciate intrusive phone calls of this nature but I told Boox to sod off.

I looked at their website and all their staff seem to be part qualified, and use words like "studied", no mention of actually qualifying! Sums them up really.

Boox = BIG FAIL
    I have known 'friends' who pass on a name or two to a favoured accountant/agent etc.

Seriously though, I am astonished that anybody in business should believe that their identity (personal as well as a corporate) is as secret as Coca Cola's formula! Think about it....all the world and their dogs know your birthday and your mother's maiden name!

Leave a comment:

• warrenboon
    replied
    FWIW, I have no problem with accountancies contacting me and pitching their wares, and if they're able to persuade me that the service they're offering is more attractive than the one I currently have, then I'll switch. Hasn't happened so far though

I'm mildly curious as to how one of them in particular got my details, but I'm sure it's easy enough if that's the business you're in...

Leave a comment:

• kal
    replied
    I am not with my accountants (Forbes Young) because they are the cheapest, far from it but they do provide value for money and I am more than happy with their service!

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    A lot of us do sales of sorts. Business.

However my own experience has been that trying to undercut a competitor just ends up with a reverse auction - far better to sell a positive, sow a seed, and be someone's "first alternative" in case incumbent screws up.

Also tended to find mailshotting got better results than phone calls; less headline response % but better client quality.

Anyways, as with most this money's not everything?
    (Currently chilling in exotic foreign parts with wine, just checking in to see what's going on )

Leave a comment:

• simondolan
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Now you're just teasing us - spit it out man!
    Was going to then thought that it just gives the secret away to others! I'd hate for you to get end up fielding more cold calls

Leave a comment:

• proggy
    replied
    This thread amounts to "Some tried to sell me something using the phone! Outrageous!"

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by simonsjdaccountancy View Post
    That's not how they do it Craig - its a lot more sophisticated than that. Nothing you can do to stop it - it's just competition.
    Now you're just teasing us - spit it out man!

I think I'd just treat them the same way I treat all cold callers (hint: I'm not overly polite).

Leave a comment:

• simondolan
    replied
    Originally posted by Craig at Nixon Williams View Post
    We are aware that Boox have contacted a few of our clients over the past few weeks - each of the clients that I have spoken to about this felt that their call was intrusive.

There has been no breach of data from Nixon Williams - all of the information that Boox have gathered in order to make the calls all appears to be publicly available. From what I can gather they have been downloading Abbreviated Accounts from Companies House and if they have our name in the Accountants Report, they are then using the internet to find a phone number and then making the call.

I would be interested to know if other contractors, not necessarily with Nixon Williams, have had similar phone calls from Boox.

Craig
    That's not how they do it Craig - its a lot more sophisticated than that. Nothing you can do to stop it - it's just competition.

Leave a comment:

• Craig at Nixon Williams
    replied
    We are aware that Boox have contacted a few of our clients over the past few weeks - each of the clients that I have spoken to about this felt that their call was intrusive.

There has been no breach of data from Nixon Williams - all of the information that Boox have gathered in order to make the calls all appears to be publicly available. From what I can gather they have been downloading Abbreviated Accounts from Companies House and if they have our name in the Accountants Report, they are then using the internet to find a phone number and then making the call.

I would be interested to know if other contractors, not necessarily with Nixon Williams, have had similar phone calls from Boox.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• simondolan
    replied
    We get this a lot. Brooksons are particularly aggressive in this approach. However, the way they get the data isn't illegal - I was going to say how they do it, but thought better of it!

However, a happy client tends not to be swayed by a piece of junk mail, and much less an unsolicited phone call. An unhappy client, well, we only have ourselves to blame if they go.

Leave a comment:

• inniAccounts
    replied
    They may not be using data stolen by a former employee.

If you're using NW's registered office service then it's pretty easy for them to find your company details from the Companies House register. (e.g. query for all companies registered with post code AB12 34CD). From there they can pull the company officer details (i.e. your personal details, home address etc) and then use a directory enquiry service or just some old fashioned leg work to find your details.

If, however, you're not using their registered office service and/or they called your mobile then I'd be a little more suspicious about a potential DPA infringement. However, don't forget (as far as I'm aware) that DPA only applies to personal data: if they called you in your position as a company officer then no infringement may have taken place. I'm sure there's a few old pros on here who can provide more clarity on this.

FYI: I'm certainly not defending Boox, just pointing out how much data is in the public domain.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Boox Accountants - how unprofessional

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Ex-employee probably.

I would contact NW to warn them as they should have non-solicitation clauses in their employment contracts.
    WSES

Very unprofessional, plus NW have been great for me and most others on here who use them.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    Not sure how they got my details, nor how they knew I was using NW, but I never appreciate intrusive phone calls of this nature but I told Boox to sod off.
    Ex-employee probably.

I would contact NW to warn them as they should have non-solicitation clauses in their employment contracts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X