• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: MVL Online

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "MVL Online"

Collapse

• ContractorNoMore
    replied
    hgllgh - I stopped contracting, left the UK and wanted a clean break in my tax residency rather than having ties to multiple locations. No need for an Ltd anymore and MVL the best option to close it.

From what I know, going through MVL and then continuing contracting in the same industry would be seen as tax evasion.

Leave a comment:

• satiated
    replied
    Another reference for MVLOnline. I started the process with them just before Christmas, which probably slowed the process down a bit. The final distribution came through in the last week, so it was a 4+ month process. Almost all this time was just sitting around waiting on other parties (mostly HMRC).

Chris was always prompt and helpful with replies over email, always within 24 hours. The process was about as pain free as it's possible to make it. I had no problems with MVLOnline, and their process was quite simple. They're a good option for typical contractor scenarios.

If you're considering liquidation, bring a lot of patience and get on top of your end quickly at the beginning. Then forget about it and it'll come through in a while - there's not much you can do to speed things up once the paperwork is filed.

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    Originally posted by hgllgh View Post
    out of curiosity, what are your reasons for closing down your ltd co? is anyone closing down and still contracting?
    Everyone has different reasons, but most common ones are that they:
    - got a full time PAYE job
    - are emigrating
    - are retiring
    - want to do something different

Leave a comment:

• hgllgh
    replied
    out of curiosity, what are your reasons for closing down your ltd co? is anyone closing down and still contracting?

Leave a comment:

• ContractorNoMore
    replied
    Another happy customer

My company's MVL via MVLonline.co.uk has just completed. Wanted to share my positive experience with you to reduce the 'fear factor' around getting a good deal for what is a complex and critical process. In short, if you can simplify your company affairs before entering liquidation (settle all liabilities except HMRC, cash in any assets), Chris's offering is absolutely the way to go. He has managed to streamline the process and can offer a high level of service at a very reasonable cost.

The demands of my liquidation were actually non-standard and Chris worked around this as well. Coupled with a non-responsive bank on my end which seemed very keen to hold onto my cash until just after their end of financial year, there was a fair bit to deal with. Chris was responsive at all times and removed the potential stress of using a fully online solution for something as important as this.

My fiancee actually went through the process with a more expensive liquidator before we found out about MVLonline.co.uk. I can attest that the only difference between her experience and mine was that she had more trouble getting clear and simple responses through the process and she paid more.

Happy to provide more information to anyone considering the process via PM.

Top service!

Chris - thank you.

Leave a comment:

• adamree
    replied
    Good Experience

spoke with Chris from MVL Online after extensive research. Although in the end I went with my accountants recommendation (purely due to some arm twisting) - I was very happy with the helpful and prompt advice throughout.

Leave a comment:

• alphadog
    replied
    Originally posted by Maslins View Post
    That's the deadline to claim entrepreneurs relief (eg if you submitted a personal tax return without claiming it, paid the tax based on 18/28% CGT, then later realised you could have claimed entrepreneurs relief).
    Oh I see. Nice little trap for young players!

Might be worth adding on this thread that if your MVL is happening nearish to the end of a tax year, you might want to consider receiving your first distribution in tax year A and your second in tax year B. Thus using your CGT tax free allowance in each year and reducing your overall tax bill.

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    Originally posted by alphadog View Post
    No worries! According to gov.uk/entrepreneurs-relief it would need paying on 31 Jan 2016?
    That's the deadline to claim entrepreneurs relief (eg if you submitted a personal tax return without claiming it, paid the tax based on 18/28% CGT, then later realised you could have claimed entrepreneurs relief).

Leave a comment:

• alphadog
    replied
    Hello, thanks for the kind words. Distribution made today would fall in the tax year ending 5/4/2014 which would need paying 31/1/2015 (not 2016).

Re emigrating, can become complex...but generally speaking I think you're still UK tax resident for CGT purposes for up to 3 years after leaving. HMRC don't like the idea of people having a 1 year holiday somewhere to avoid hefty CGT bills. Not something I've seen in practice, so saying this from exam memory 5+ years ago...happy to be corrected if someone else knows better.
    No worries! According to gov.uk/entrepreneurs-relief it would need paying on 31 Jan 2016?

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    Incidentally, if an individual were to emigrate and become tax resident in another country between receiving their distributions and the date when they are required to declare and pay their entrepreneurs relief CGT...

I assume they would have to make a final UK self assessment at or near the time they left the UK and pay it then, ie, early? Or can they wait until when it would ordinarily have been required to declare, in this case 31 Jan 2016? Or - and I suppose this is unlikely - they would not be required and declare and pay them in the UK at all as they have become non-resident for tax purposes?
    Hello, thanks for the kind words. Distribution made today would fall in the tax year ending 5/4/2014 which would need paying 31/1/2015 (not 2016).

Re emigrating, can become complex...but generally speaking I think you're still UK tax resident for CGT purposes for up to 3 years after leaving. HMRC don't like the idea of people having a 1 year holiday somewhere to avoid hefty CGT bills. Not something I've seen in practice, so saying this from exam memory 5+ years ago...happy to be corrected if someone else knows better.

Leave a comment:

• alphadog
    replied
    I too have engaged mvlonline to action my MVL. Very pleased with the process so far.

Best thing about entrepreneurs relief on my self assessment is the time between receiving the distributions from mvlonline and when I have to declare them. If I was to receive my distributions today for example (18 Apr 2013), I won't have to declare and pay the entrepreneurs relief until 31 Jan 2016

Given that Sir Mervyn and Co. keep printing money and inflation continues to roar away, I am quite happy about that
    Incidentally, if an individual were to emigrate and become tax resident in another country between receiving their distributions and the date when they are required to declare and pay their entrepreneurs relief CGT...

I assume they would have to make a final UK self assessment at or near the time they left the UK and pay it then, ie, early? Or can they wait until when it would ordinarily have been required to declare, in this case 31 Jan 2016? Or - and I suppose this is unlikely - they would not be required and declare and pay them in the UK at all as they have become non-resident for tax purposes?

Leave a comment:

• alphadog
    replied
    I too have engaged mvlonline to action my MVL. Very pleased with the process so far.

Best thing about entrepreneurs relief on my self assessment is the time between receiving the distributions from mvlonline and when I have to declare them. If I was to receive my distributions today for example (18 Apr 2013), I won't have to declare and pay the entrepreneurs relief until 31 Jan 2016

Given that Sir Mervyn and Co. keep printing money and inflation continues to roar away, I am quite happy about that

Leave a comment:

• pianoman
    replied
    Welcome to the world of self assessment. You tell them what you think the situation is, then wait a couple of years to see if they say "we think you're wrong".

For certain things you can apply for advanced clearance. Consensus tends to be that by doing so, you're admitting you're concerned you might not qualify. Therefore many think it's a better tactic to just make the claim.
    Thanks for reply.

Leave a comment:

• Maslins
    replied
    Originally posted by pianoman View Post
    That seems a bit vague. Would you therefore be able to get some form of pre-ok from HMRC that you are a trading company? Seems stupid that you would apply on the basis you geninuely think you are a trading company but then get told you are not and then get hit with a penalty
    Welcome to the world of self assessment. You tell them what you think the situation is, then wait a couple of years to see if they say "we think you're wrong".

For certain things you can apply for advanced clearance. Consensus tends to be that by doing so, you're admitting you're concerned you might not qualify. Therefore many think it's a better tactic to just make the claim.

Leave a comment:

• pianoman
    replied
    Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
    The funds from winding up a company will be entered in the Capital Gains section of your tax return.

HMRC can then query the entries and may seek more information on the proceeds etc.

So, if HMRC do not enquire into the return if you are not eligible for Entrepreneur's Relief (ER) there will not be any direct implication, although my advice would be to correctly complete your tax return.

If HMRC do enquire into your capital gains and you claimed ER but the company was not a trading company, then clearly HMRC will seek to recover the lost tax and I suspect penalties would also be due.
    That seems a bit vague. Would you therefore be able to get some form of pre-ok from HMRC that you are a trading company? Seems stupid that you would apply on the basis you geninuely think you are a trading company but then get told you are not and then get hit with a penalty

Leave a comment:

Working...
X