• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Expenses V dividend"

Collapse

• Nathan SJD Accountancy
    replied
    Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
    I think Martin meant to say that a dividend will reduce the retained profit by £100.

Alan
    I assumed that Martin meant retained profit too.

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by Punter View Post
    I am an accountant and I don't think this is the case. A dividend of £100 will reduce the profit by £0.
    I think Martin meant to say that a dividend will reduce the retained profit by £100.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• Martin at NixonWilliams
    replied
    I am an accountant and I don't think this is the case. A dividend of £100 will reduce the profit by £0.
    Hi Punter,

I was referring to the effect on the retained earnings.

In the context of the question (i.e. expenses vs. dividend) it is important to recognise how each option effects the retained earnings as a whole.

Martin

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Dividends are paid from profits (after corp tax and other expenses), yes?

Say your company has made a profit of £5K (after corp tax and other expenses).

You then take a £100 dividend.

How much profit is left in the company?

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    I suppose technically that is self-evident, since dividends may only be paid from profit, so you must have the profit first, ergo the dividend can't reduce it.

But you could sensibly say that having got the profit, paying a dividend reduces it, or at least what's left of it.

Depends whether you mean the accounting amount of profit, or the money in the Co resulting from it.
    Last edited by Ignis Fatuus; 2 November 2012, 09:25.

Leave a comment:

• Punter
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin at NixonWilliams View Post

One is the effect on your profit, a £100 expense will reduce the company's profit by £80 (assuming it is tax deductible) as 20% relief will be given, whereas a dividend of £100 will reduce the profit by £100.

Martin

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveP View Post
    Well if you believe what you find on wikipedia, say no more.

Bored with this now.
    I find wiki more trustworthy than a pyramid scheme operator.

Leave a comment:

• DaveP
    replied
    Well if you believe what you find on wikipedia, say no more.

Bored with this now.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Network Marketing
    Multi-level marketing

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Network marketing)

Multi-level marketing (MLM) is a marketing strategy in which the sales force is compensated not only for sales they personally generate, but also for the sales of the other salespeople that they recruit. This recruited sales force is referred to as the participant's downline, and can provide multiple levels of compensation.[1] Other terms for MLM include pyramid selling,[2][3][4][5][6] network marketing,[7][8][9] and referral marketing.[10]
    Many pyramid schemes try to present themselves as legitimate MLM businesses.[11] However, there are people who hold that all MLMs are essentially pyramid schemes even if legal.[
    Multi-level marketing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Next!

Leave a comment:

• DaveP
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    Isn't that exactly what a pyramid scheme operator would say?
    Network Marketing

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    yes, but no i'm not operating any scheme.
    Isn't that exactly what a pyramid scheme operator would say?

Leave a comment:

• DaveP
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post
    And we have your word as a pyramid scheme operator on that?
    yes, but no i'm not operating any scheme.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    NO !
    And we have your word as a pyramid scheme operator on that?

Leave a comment:

• DaveP
    replied
    Originally posted by lithium147 View Post
    Is utility warehouse a pyramid scheme?
    NO !

Leave a comment:

• lithium147
    replied
    Is utility warehouse a pyramid scheme?

Leave a comment:

Working...