• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Buying a second hand computer for business use"

Collapse

• contractoralan
    replied
    Check out the price of the same or similar product on ebay. Take a printout and retain it, just in case HMRC disputes.
    If you do not find a used product, print out the cost of a new one.

It will also be useful if your mate gives you a copy of the original invoice - confirming the date of purchase and the original value.

Leave a comment:

• Wobblyheed
    replied
    Originally posted by NotReallyButSeriously View Post
    £600 i5 iMac, only 3 months old... who would pass on that offer lol?
    Me.....cos I hate Apple

Leave a comment:

• Greg@CapitalCity
    replied
    Originally posted by NotReallyButSeriously View Post
    With this, should there be anything specific on there?
    A hand written receipt is fine. Include on there;
    1. Date of sale;
    2. Name and address of current owner;
    3. Description of the goods;
    4. Amount goods were sold for;
    5. That the goods were sold to your ltd company;
    6. Get both parties to sign it;

Leave a comment:

• NotReallyButSeriously
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Your friend can give you a receipt. As long as you pay the market rate that its worth (no paying £5k for a £200 laptop) then there shouldn't be a problem.
    With this, should there be anything specific on there?

Leave a comment:

• NotReallyButSeriously
    replied
    Originally posted by JamJarST View Post
    Just as a matter of interest, why do you want to buy a second hand one? There are brand new computers available for nearly every budget.
    £600 i5 iMac, only 3 months old... who would pass on that offer lol?

Leave a comment:

• JamJarST
    replied
    Just as a matter of interest, why do you want to buy a second hand one? There are brand new computers available for nearly every budget.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Your friend can give you a receipt. As long as you pay the market rate that its worth (no paying £5k for a £200 laptop) then there shouldn't be a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Buying a second hand computer for business use

Is it possible to buy a second hand computer from a friend for business use and claim it as an expense?

Would going through eBay or something make it easier as I can get a receipt?

Working...
X