• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Umbrella to ltd

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Umbrella to ltd"

Collapse

• Greg@CapitalCity
    replied
    Usually around £12-15 per hour

The threshold at which a ltd company makes sense (vs PAYE) from a tax perspective is around £12-15 per hour. You have been contracting for a long time - so normally the only other thing I would add is ensure you will be contracting for a minimum of 3-6 months to make the whole set-up worthwhile.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Actually... i just remembered.... i asked for a P45 another time (when i was leaving my accountant).

The time when i claimed, i told the Job Centre that i had been laid off (yes - by my own ltd co). Due to lack of work.

My ltd co started a contract 1 month later, at which time i told Job Centre that i had found work.

I had around £240 paid to me that month (woo hoo) and council tax benefit (a saving of about £4/mth) (big wooo hooo)

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
    well no. It's what to do if I have a ltd and need to sign on, do I have to close my ltd or what?!
    You can get your accountant to issue you with a P45 if you like.

I did it once, but didn't bother after that because it was too much of a PITA filling in job seekers allowance forms, going for job centre interviews (and pretending i was looking for another job).

I got funny looks when i showed them my bank statements, payslips and divi vouchers

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    If your rates are that low and you are expecting time off, maybe a permie role would make more sense for you?

Otherwise, sticking with a brolly probably will be better than having a ltd in your situation.

Leave a comment:

• PinkPoshRat
    replied
    well no. It's what to do if I have a ltd and need to sign on, do I have to close my ltd or what?!

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
    My worry over going ltd is that I sometimes have a few months gap between contracts, so can't figure out how I would ever manage to pay myself.
    What happens ATM? Does your umbrella co. give you free money?

Leave a comment:

• PinkPoshRat
    replied
    I've been contracting via an umbrella for a while. My worry over going ltd is that I sometimes have a few months gap between contracts, so can't figure out how I would ever manage to pay myself. With a ltd, everyone keeps asking what my expected turnover will be, and I don't have any means of answering that question as it totally depends on the market!!

I also have to take the very ungracious step and sign on sometimes (obviously when not working) so having an umbrella makes it easy - not too sure what I would do if I was running a ltd and had to sign on?

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    Even down to about £30k per annum or less it is often worth taking the limited company route. Ignoring expenses, £30k pa thru umbrella is about £1656 NET per month. Thru ltd it is £2124. More if VAT registered and on the flat rate scheme.

Leave a comment:

• girlfriday
    started a topic Umbrella to ltd

Umbrella to ltd

Hi all,

First time poster so please be gentle...

I've been contracting for about 10 years now and I've always gone umbrella, mainly because I can't be bothered with all the paperwork and hassle, and I never thought my rate was high enough to justify it. Luckily I have a new contract that pays about 50% more than the last one, so I'm starting to think about ltd again.

However, I have a question for all you seasoned contractors with ltd's... at what day rate do you think it's worth moving from umbrella to ltd? Bearing in mind that the only expense I have regularly is mileage. Is there a "if you're making x amount, ltd is better"?

Working...
X