• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tax Tribunals : VAT Flat Rate Scheme and Bank Interest"

Collapse

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Flat Rate vat which is worked out on Turnover which did include Bank Interest.
    opps!

I have never included Bank interest as part of flat rate turnover .

Good thing HMRC lost ... thieving gits.

css_jay99

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    In that case, then what exactly is the tread about?.

I have never thought that bank Interest received have anything to do with VAT .....

css_jay99
    Flat Rate vat which is worked out on Turnover which did include Bank Interest.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    Not quite. Bank interest can be ignored in your flat rate VAT calculations. It's still income for CT purposes though.
    In that case, then what exactly is the tread about?.

I have never thought that bank Interest received have anything to do with VAT .....

css_jay99

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    OK,

so can I confirm that interest received (from bank deposit ) should not be included in calculations to arrive at corp tax figure if running a Flat Rate scheme?

css_jay99
    Not quite. Bank interest can be ignored in your flat rate VAT calculations. It's still income for CT purposes though.

Leave a comment:

• css_jay99
    replied
    OK,

so can I confirm that interest received (from bank deposit ) should not be included in calculations to arrive at corp tax figure if running a Flat Rate scheme?

css_jay99

Leave a comment:

• Olly
    replied
    my accountant said to reduce turnover figure (as a one off) accordingly

Leave a comment:

• richy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    Did you also reduce the turnover figure or just adjusted the total vat due?
    That is my question too!

Also, can I amend for the last 4 years? No need to re-file any corporation tax return or stuff with companies house? I'm not bothered about claiming that back, just the VAT..

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    Originally posted by ctdctd View Post
    I've adjusted my latest return to get back the 40 quid - boooooommmmmed :-)
    Did you also reduce the turnover figure or just adjusted the total vat due?

Leave a comment:

• ctdctd
    replied
    Originally posted by maverick View Post
    So to sum up, no bank interest on VAT return to be included anymore.

To reclaim the VAT paid on interest for previous returns we can adjust our next return or is it going to more complicated than that?
    I've adjusted my latest return to get back the 40 quid - boooooommmmmed :-)

Leave a comment:

• Craig@Clarity
    replied
    Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
    Does it include travel expenses like hotels and flights if I charge it to the client in a separate invoice line, e.g.:

Consultancy services £8000 (vat - £1600)
    Travel expenses £2000 (vat - £400)
    Sub-total £10000
    VAT £2000
    Total £12000

Do I have to return my flat % based on £2000 (total) or £1600 (services only) ?

I just read somewhere that if you use a sub-contractor and it goes on your invoice to the end client you don't have to return vat for "his part" of the invoice ..thought the same might apply to travel exp
    What you've detailed above is effectively "expenses recharged" to your client rather than a disbursement. In your example, it is included as part of your turnover figure for FR calculation.

Leave a comment:

• Lumiere
    replied
    [*]disbursements - costs you pass on to your clients that meet the necessary VAT conditions
    Does it include travel expenses like hotels and flights if I charge it to the client in a separate invoice line, e.g.:

Consultancy services £8000 (vat - £1600)
    Travel expenses £2000 (vat - £400)
    Sub-total £10000
    VAT £2000
    Total £12000

Do I have to return my flat % based on £2000 (total) or £1600 (services only) ?

I just read somewhere that if you use a sub-contractor and it goes on your invoice to the end client you don't have to return vat for "his part" of the invoice ..thought the same might apply to travel exp

Leave a comment:

• maverick
    replied
    So to sum up, no bank interest on VAT return to be included anymore.

To reclaim the VAT paid on interest for previous returns we can adjust our next return or is it going to more complicated than that?

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    I know we've already seen that HMRC have updated their VAT notes re flat rate and bank interest, but for anyone with any doubts left they've issued a brief to confirm no VAT is due on bank interest under FRS:

HM Revenue & Customs

Leave a comment:

• minstrel
    replied
    HMRC Notice 733 has now been updated, so it is now definitely correct to exclude bank interest from flat rate turnover.

1.2 What has changed?
    This revised notice replaces the April 2011 edition. The amendments reflect the withdrawal of the need to include bank interest in the flat rate turnover.

6.3 What income do I exclude from my flat rate turnover?
    You exclude from your flat rate turnover:

■private income, for example income from shares
    bank interest
    ■the proceeds from the sale of goods you own but which have not been used in your business
    ■any sales of gold that are covered by the VAT Act, Section 55 - see Notice 701/21 Gold
    ■non-business income and any supplies outside the scope of UK VAT, and
    ■sales of capital expenditure goods on which you have claimed input tax.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Although it's worth noting that Notice 733, last updated in April 2011, still states that you should include it.

Nothing like a bit of consistency!
    Interesting update, thanks.

So are you saying that this is only valid from now or can we make a retrospective claim?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X