• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "safe umbrella company for a visitor"

Collapse

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
    Send me a private message - I am happy to put you through my LTD company and pay you your day rate - corporation tax

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
    Send me a private message - I am happy to put you through my LTD company and pay you your day rate - corporation tax

It helps me with IR35 so happy to do this if you are

I live in London and have been running my LTD for 2 years

I also have an accountant who can help draft contracts
    Make sure you check visa status and eligibility to work.

Leave a comment:

• DeludedAussie
    replied
    Originally posted by troyx77 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I'm considering to have a contractor role in UK for 6 months only, and then I will come back to my home country. Actually I'm not much interested in higher returns or any kind of accounting magic, my only preference is to be on the safe side, receive my payments in time and have my questions answered with good customer support. That's why I'm looking for a reliable umbrella company. Parasol website seemed very professional, however I prefer to have your opinion.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions,

Troy

It helps me with IR35 so happy to do this if you are

I live in London and have been running my LTD for 2 years

I also have an accountant who can help draft contracts

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by Ltdexperience View Post
    I've had my fingers burnt by Parasol. you will be paying two lots of tax 'NI' and 'PAYE'. You will also pay 'Employer's NI' and 'Employee's NI' in addition to £27 processing fee.
    To be fair, it wasn't Parasol that burnt your fingers - that is the way ALL umbrella companies work and you will pay a LOT of tax.

As for paying two lots of NI, you will do exactly the same through a limited company unless you are outside IR35 and take the money as dividends.

What you get with an umbrella is simple tax and admin.

As escapeUK says, they are OK if you are just starting out, don't know if you will be contracting for long or you are IR35 caught and don't want the admin of running your own company.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    I was with Parasol too, they were ok I guess. Though had a few times where they thought I worked for them, like suggesting they would penalise me financially if I typed a figure wrong into their website a second time (by accident).

I much prefer having a Ltd company, an accountant who works for me, and paying none of that NI scam.

Parasol will do to get your feet wet, and see if contracting is for you, but limit it to 6 months to a year is my recommendation.

Leave a comment:

• Steven@Parasol
    replied
    Originally posted by Ltdexperience View Post
    I've had my fingers burnt by Parasol, initially everything was okay, but out of £500 a week, I'm lucky to see £300 if I don't submit 'tax offset expenses' or as they call it Business Expenses. In your payslip you will see 'Commission' and you will be paying two lots of tax 'NI' and 'PAYE'. You will also pay 'Employer's NI' and 'Employee's NI' in addition to £27 processing fee. I have tried everything to lower this 'commission' which can be offset by how much expenses you give them - I've done nothing but fight with the various voices on the phone - my last lot of expenses (around £420) they used up in a fortnight If my expenses were like an MP's this wouldn't be a problem, but in the end I thought I'll get my coat and went Ltd co.
    I know you aren't working with us anymore but I work for Parasol and myself or our operations manager would be happy to take you through the process if that would help. You can get me on [email protected] or 01925 644892.

There are legal reasons why we have to call it 'commission' but we do give a full breakdown on the payslip. In a nutshell, its the amount of money left as take home pay once statutory deductions have been made (e.g. NIC).

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Hi Everyone,

I'm considering to have a contractor role in UK for 6 months only, and then I will come back to my home country. Actually I'm not much interested in higher returns or any kind of accounting magic, my only preference is to be on the safe side, receive my payments in time and have my questions answered with good customer support. That's why I'm looking for a reliable umbrella company. Parasol website seemed very professional, however I prefer to have your opinion.

Troy
    Do you have permission to work in UK? You can't work on a visitor's visa if that's what you have.

Leave a comment:

• Ltdexperience
    replied
    I've had my fingers burnt by Parasol, initially everything was okay, but out of £500 a week, I'm lucky to see £300 if I don't submit 'tax offset expenses' or as they call it Business Expenses. In your payslip you will see 'Commission' and you will be paying two lots of tax 'NI' and 'PAYE'. You will also pay 'Employer's NI' and 'Employee's NI' in addition to £27 processing fee. I have tried everything to lower this 'commission' which can be offset by how much expenses you give them - I've done nothing but fight with the various voices on the phone - my last lot of expenses (around £420) they used up in a fortnight If my expenses were like an MP's this wouldn't be a problem, but in the end I thought I'll get my coat and went Ltd co.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    I don't use an umbrella myself, but I remembered seeing the 2010 CUK awards, as follows:

Best Umbrella Company of 2010

WINNER! Giant group

CUK READERS:

Personal and efficient service, clear communication, ease-of-use online
    Consistently professional approach to answering queries and solving issues
    Sound understanding of contracting

RUNNER UP: Contractor Umbrella

Always reliable, available and personable
    Makes the work and payment process easy to understand
    Comprehensive knowledge from support staff

RUNNER UP: Parasol

Excellent service, always paid on time

Leave a comment:

• Svalbaard
    replied
    I have been with Contractor Umbrella for a number of years now. Customer service is and has always been first class despite a number of account manager changes.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Have a look at this http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...endations.html

Leave a comment:

• Steven@Parasol
    replied
    Hi Everyone,

Troy
    Hi there.

Obviously I work for Parasol so I can't comment as I'm bias. Here is a link to a good article on what to look out for when you are shopping around for an umbrella and the types of questions to ask.<snip>
    Last edited by administrator; 7 March 2011, 16:39. Reason: link removed

Leave a comment:

• troyx77
    started a topic safe umbrella company for a visitor

safe umbrella company for a visitor

Hi Everyone,

Troy

Working...
X