• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Pisces Returns

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pisces Returns"

Collapse

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Originally posted by rmmc View Post
    Looked at the free spreadsheet from their website and the tax estimated and calculated is incorrect. Dividend is taxed at effective rate of 32.5% or 42.5%, even though, some dividend would fall in basic rate tax band.
    It also assumes a ~5k salary, and if you change that figure the dividend calculations look a bit suspect.

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Glad to see you completely ignored my poor (attempt at a) joke

I agree, probably perfectly sound but not being an expert in the area I had to sound out opinions 'cos I had the nagging 'you get what you pay for' doubt.

Leave a comment:

• Vallah
    replied
    I'm sure they're perfectly legitimate, I've just never heard of them before now.

If I advertised for a job that needed somebody with an accountancy qualification, I'd expect to see ACA/ACCA/CIMA for a reasonably senior position, CAT for somebody a bit lower level, or ATT/CTA for tax. My first question for somebody who said they were "IFA" (which is a tulip designation in itself as it obviously sounds like financial advisors) would be "why haven't you studied for something recognised by the majority of employers?"

That's not to say that the person at Pisces doesn't offer a good service, but I'd be wary unless I'd received a personal recommendation.

Leave a comment:

• rmmc
    replied
    Looked at the free spreadsheet from their website and the tax estimated and calculated is incorrect. Dividend is taxed at effective rate of 32.5% or 42.5%, even though, some dividend would fall in basic rate tax band.

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
    Hmmm, something sounds a bit fishy then.

IGMC
    It seems a perfectly legit body, just obviously not as well known as the usual ones like ICAEW and ACCA.

Institute of Financial Accountants

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Originally posted by *Clare* View Post
    Same here, I've certainly never come across anyone studying for their exams or even mentioning them as a body.

Hmmm, something sounds a bit fishy then.

IGMC

Leave a comment:

• Clare@InTouch
    replied
    Originally posted by Nixon Williams View Post
    As someone who sat these exams many years ago, I find it strange that if, after all that hard work you did not apply for membership, it does seem a strange approach.

I have to say I have never heard of an Incorporated Financial Accountant until today!
    Same here, I've certainly never come across anyone studying for their exams or even mentioning them as a body.

Leave a comment:

• Nixon Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by the_rangdo View Post
    When the site states 'passing the final stage in November 1997' how does that translate into failing?
    As someone who sat these exams many years ago, I find it strange that if, after all that hard work you did not apply for membership, it does seem a strange approach.

I have to say I have never heard of an Incorporated Financial Accountant until today!

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    replied
    Originally posted by Vallah View Post
    That's not to say this bloke doesn't know what he's doing, but a BTEC, and failing the CIMA exams 13 years ago doesn't strike me as the highest standards.
    When the site states 'passing the final stage in November 1997' how does that translate into failing?

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    A quick google of "incorporated financial accountant" pulls up the IFA.org.uk website which proves the bona fides but I agree with Vallah to a certain extent as I have only heard of a couple of members in my 20 years.

Leave a comment:

• Vallah
    replied
    Originally posted by Just1morethen View Post
    To be fair Waldorf, he's also an Incorporated Financial Acountant, which isn't one of the biggies but still recognised as a professional qualification. Dunno why he put in about the BTEC though - about as relevant as putting a Cycling Proficiency badge on your CV.
    I've worked in accountancy for nearly 20 years now, and I've never heard of that body. I've worked for small practices, one of the Big 4, and have never come across a single person in that institute before. That's not to say this bloke doesn't know what he's doing, but a BTEC, and failing the CIMA exams 13 years ago doesn't strike me as the highest standards. Even if you didn't have the time/inclination to obtain one of the major bodies' qualifications (ie ICAEW, ACCA or CIMA) why wouldn't you at least start with CAT?

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    To be fair Waldorf, he's also an Incorporated Financial Acountant, which isn't one of the biggies but still recognised as a professional qualification. Dunno why he put in about the BTEC though - about as relevant as putting a Cycling Proficiency badge on your CV.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    I would stick to using a qualified accountant, the guy running this has a BTEC in accounts, fab eh!

Sounds like a one man operation who sat some exams but was never admitted as a member of any accounting body worth mentioning.

Remember anyone can call themselves an accountant.

The website is a bit limited just a few pages, probably off the shelf.

Leave a comment:

• Alan @ BroomeAffinity
    replied
    I reckon you'd be struggling to provide a decent service for that fee.

Leave a comment:

• the_rangdo
    started a topic Pisces Returns

Pisces Returns

Contractor accountants. Pisces Accounts - Accountancy Services for contractors - Home

Seems pretty cheap, certainly compared to my SJD.

Anyone any experience/thoughts?

Working...
X