• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Uptons Accountants... FSA wins £3.7M compensation on behalf of investors."

Collapse

• Waldorf
    replied
    I would agree that a change of accountants is the way to go, if you just stand back and look at the facts, your accountant has been heavily slapped by the FSA, your accountant set up a scheme offering unrealistic returns, your accountant has not repaid all the monies owed to the investors, your accountant must repay £10,000 a month for 7 years, at the end of this your accountant will still have investors who have lost a considerable sum of money.

Considering the above WHY are you sticking with them, what part of the above is considered professional conduct?

At the end of the day each must make their own mind up but if it is because you cannot be bothered then you should cease moaning and hope for the best!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
    Well I only came across this now and I am totally alarmed - These are very serious allegations and the fact that the FSA have been involved make this even more severe.
    Why don't you change accountants?

Leave a comment:

• DeludedAussie
    replied
    Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
    I am amazed that it has taken you this long to question whether you would wish to continue with your accountant, I would have done this as soon as this news broke.

I would imagine that their accounting body are already looking into this, but like all investigations, these take months to come to any conclusion.
    Well I only came across this now and I am totally alarmed - These are very serious allegations and the fact that the FSA have been involved make this even more severe.

Leave a comment:

• Waldorf
    replied
    Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
    What is the latest on this topic? How are an accountancy firm carrying out illegal activities which involve the FSA freezing assets

As a client of Upton at the moment this has seriously got me concerned - I am surprised that the Chartered accountancy body has not become involved and decided whether you would face disciplinary action

Can you share the reassurance emails publicly?
    I am amazed that it has taken you this long to question whether you would wish to continue with your accountant, I would have done this as soon as this news broke.

I would imagine that their accounting body are already looking into this, but like all investigations, these take months to come to any conclusion.

Leave a comment:

• DeludedAussie
    replied
    Originally posted by Darren@UptonAccountants View Post
    Perfectly reasonable question to ask, if the tables were turned would be asking the same thing.....we've had a few emails wanting a bit of reassurance and more than happy to reply to them.
    What is the latest on this topic? How are an accountancy firm carrying out illegal activities which involve the FSA freezing assets

As a client of Upton at the moment this has seriously got me concerned - I am surprised that the Chartered accountancy body has not become involved and decided whether you would face disciplinary action

Can you share the reassurance emails publicly?

Leave a comment:

• Newby
    replied
    Reasonableness

Oh your question is absolutely reasonable, I merely asked why would you see a benefit to raising this question in the public domain. ( I may have been trying to get a rise when I said you were making him beg for your business )

As if by magic, Darren, who has already said that it is hard for him to communicate about the facts of this case in an open forum, has asked for you to email him directly.

Originally posted by Darren@UptonAccountants View Post
    That's one of the reasons have to be careful what I say....
    I was actually trying to help Darren out by saying what I did. It is a private matter to be discussed privately.

Sorry if I rattled your cage, no offence intended.

Leave a comment:

• Darren@UptonAccountants
    replied
    Perfectly reasonable question to ask, if the tables were turned would be asking the same thing.....we've had a few emails wanting a bit of reassurance and more than happy to reply to them.

Leave a comment:

• gpc
    replied
    Newby - Where am I asking Uptons to beg for my business?. I think you have interpreted my questions as an attack!.

Uptons already have my business and I am happy with the service so far. I was speaking in general terms about how the accountancy side is safegaurded from what ever else is going on.

I have no issues with Uptons other than, on reading this, it knocks confidence. Im sure im not the only one interested whether there is any impact to the accountancy side.

I dont intend on moving my business, and so far I have no reason not to recommend the service. It was a general question of interest about how the matter is being dealt with and a reassurance that all is well on the accountacy side.

Whats wrong with that?

Leave a comment:

replied
    Hi GPC, drop me an email and I'll be happy to discuss.

The accounts side of things is still being carried out by the same staff that have been with us for some time. You've kindly recommended us to others, the service will be the same going forward. About 95% of all our new business comes from referral which is greatly appreciated, in fact we've had a couple earlier today.

Leave a comment:

• Newby
    replied
    Why would you write that in a public forum? - Why wouldn't you contact Darren privately?

You are right that the recent press reports concerning Upton will raise doubts, but this really is an issue between you/your co and Upton Accountants.

To publically ask him to beg for your business isnt v.professional IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• gpc
    replied
    As an Upton Client

....this makes me a little nervous.

As an Upton Client, and someone that has recommended your services to colleagues this makes me wonder whether my accounts are safe in your hands.
    I have to be honest it has made me question whether I am getting the service I pay for?
    Is the advice that I receive from your company correct? Are my accounts being treated as I would expect a reputable accountant to treat them?

You say the accountancy side isnt impacted but it does raise the question of professionalism and trust....

What will you do to ensure that you are treating your acountancy clients with the professional service that they expect?

Rgds

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I assume you meant "biased" there.
    Oops, yes. I've corrected the original post.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Google

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Especially when these threads can easily be picked up via a well-known search engine.
    That's one of the reasons have to be careful what I say....believe me no-one feels as bad as I do about the whole situation which is one of the reasons feel morally obliged to put it right and working to achieve it.
    Last edited by Darren@UptonAccountants; 21 July 2010, 11:34.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Clippy View Post

I've no axe to grind with Darren or Uptons and am just as dis-interested as NAT but based on Darren's answers to this thread and others relating to this matter, wouldn't ever consider using Upton's accountancy services.

A little humility (and an honest apology) goes a long way!
    Especially when these threads can easily be picked up via a well-known search engine.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I assume you meant "biased" there.

The BBC and FT are well respected, but if you've ever seen a report in any form of media, about something that you know a lot about, it becomes obvious that journalists (or their editors) frequently get things wrong, misunderstand and miss out on important detail. With the BBC and FT you have a better chance that this won't happen maliciously.

Take this quote from the link:

This applies a general principle to a specific case. Maybe the reason they got the money back is because Darren didn't misappropriate any money. But at first reading, you get a very negative view.

I'm not an apologist for Darren or his company - I'm entirely disinterested. I'm just pointing out that you cannot rely on journalists for a full picture of events. No matter how hard they try to provide that.
    And neither can you rely on the individual who was found guilty.

Threads relating to these events have been posted a few times in the past and, IMO, Darren's comments really do come across as flippant for what is an extremely serious matter.

Even in this thread, the main message coming across is poor me, poor me rather than one of contrition which, for someone who I would imagine has a significant customer base that uses this board, is quite frankly shocking.

I've no axe to grind with Darren or Uptons and am just as dis-interested as NAT but based on Darren's answers to this thread and others relating to this matter, wouldn't ever consider using Upton's accountancy services.

A little humility (and an honest apology) goes a long way!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X